Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Saw a piece about Seattle on the news last night wanting a $15 minimum wage and all the restaurant owners were crying in their champagne.

They must think we are bloody stupid and feel that wages constitute the major part of the meal cost. We know what a steak costs, we eat them here as well. We know what veggies cost, we know what building maintenance costs. We sure as hell know what electricity costs giveb the thieves we have here. We know what a 20% + tip costs. We know what a bottle of gin costs.

Labor is a trivial part of the restaurant meal costs, likely less than 5% and to be honest all tipping is, is a subsidy to the restaurant owner so they can pay lousy salaries. So stop the BS already.
I know a guy who always bitches about the service at restaurants, regardless of it's true merit. His wife will tell you it's all about him, because he needs an excuse for his tightwad tipping habits. Having witnessed this, I'd have to say she's right. He doesn't like paying people well---ever. Everyone but him, of course, is a "slacker" or a "moocher".

Of course, Ed is a staunch Republican.

I'm just sayin'.

Dave
Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Even the ones who are working class are against themselves and don't even realize it. They can't see it through all of the hubris and hullabaloo.

Dave
I have seen a lot of that, especially white unionized workers in NY area.

The Republicans are doing everything to bust your union, but you are a
Hannity supporter.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

No love for the half mil tossed out of a job? Strange way of helping the working class.

Pete
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
No love for the half mil tossed out of a job? Strange way of helping the working class.

Pete
That's a contrived number, Pete. In the states that have raised the minimum wage in the past several years (against the same argument), this hasn't occurred. I still don't understand why you want to subsidize Walmart and fast food corporations with food stamps and other forms of welfare that they wouldn't need if they earned a living wage.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Labor is a trivial part of the restaurant meal costs, likely less than 5% and to be honest all tipping is, is a subsidy to the restaurant owner so they can pay lousy salaries. So stop the BS already.
Amen to that.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Admin

Quote:

Pete
Gotta link to this fairytale?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
What half million? That's not a statement of fact, it's a scare tactic.

Dave
Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
That's a contrived number, Pete. In the states that have raised the minimum wage in the past several years (against the same argument), this hasn't occurred. I still don't understand why you want to subsidize Walmart and fast food corporations with food stamps and other forms of welfare that they wouldn't need if they earned a living wage.
Yeah, I don't get that either. All I can figure is that it's just more, "Whatever save the employer a few bucks.", mantra in play. It's goofy and ironic, but then, that's todays GOP for ya.

Dave
Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

"Effects of the $10.10 Option on Employment and Income

Once fully implemented in the second half of 2016, the $10.10 option would reduce total employment by about 500,000 workers, or 0.3 percent, CBO projects (see the table below). As with any such estimates, however, the actual losses could be smaller or larger; in CBO’s assessment, there is about a two-thirds chance that the effect would be in the range between a very slight reduction in employment and a reduction in employment of 1.0 million workers. "

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/44995

Pete
Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
"Effects of the $10.10 Option on Employment and Income

Once fully implemented in the second half of 2016, the $10.10 option would reduce total employment by about 500,000 workers, or 0.3 percent, CBO projects (see the table below). As with any such estimates, however, the actual losses could be smaller or larger; in CBO’s assessment, there is about a two-thirds chance that the effect would be in the range between a very slight reduction in employment and a reduction in employment of 1.0 million workers. "

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/44995

Pete
Hardly definitive, Pete. Moreover, I still see no logic in the taxpayers subsidizing Walmart, McDonalds, Burger Kings, et al.