Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Mike, to my mind Trump and Hillary represent everything that is wrong with their respective parties. They are the icons of the bigot-mongering of the right and the corruption of the left, IMO. I cannot stand either one. And, after what I witnessed this morning at the Virginia primary, I am truly worried about the future of this country. When it comes down to a choice between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton...............
I don't disagree with your assessment about Clinton. I'm not convinced Trump is a bigot at all, but I'm also not convinced of his qualifications and temperament for the Oval Office.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I think its equal opportunity disaffection. I think many of the same folks who backed "hope and change" in 2008 are now aligned with Sanders and not Clinton. That's the future of the Dem party, and the Sanders crowd doesn't identify with "the Party". Just like the Trump supporters identify less with the GOP than they do with Trump.

In fact, I think Trump's rise is all about disaffection with the "establishment" candidates and the status quo. The Dems and Independents that Trump may be attracting are, like Trump, less ideological than they are looking for alternatives to the status quo.
Sounds about right.

The horror of it is the choices we are left with............

A vote for Bernie against Trump is something I would feel good about. Hell, if it were Rubio vs. Hillary I might have been swayed to jump ship. But, HC vs. DT makes me want to vomit.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I don't disagree with your assessment about Clinton. I'm not convinced Trump is a bigot at all, but I'm also not convinced of his qualifications and temperament for the Oval Office.
That's quite a surprising assessment. Every negative comment regarding him include the words racist and bigot.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Do you think it matters whether Chris Van Hollen or Donna Edwards wins the nomination to replace Babs?

If, as some polls indicate, either Bernie or Hillary will beat Drumpf, do you think it matters which is the nominee?
I like Van Hollen, having met with him several times at the late stages of my work career. Solid dude. Donna Edwards? Not so much.

As for Bernie vs Hillary, I'll defer to the rest of the nation as to who they chose to represent the Democratic party as it will have long since been decided by April 26.

Part of being an Independent is that I get precious few phone calls from the various campaigns. That's reason enough for me to stay Independent. Moreover, the more Independents that there are, the more that the candidates have to moderate their views and promote policies that actually have a chance of being enacted.

Last edited by finnbow; 03-01-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I like Van Hollen, having met with him several times at the late stages of my work career. Solid dude. Donna Edwards? Not so much.
And this is a tight race, well within the MOE. Why is voting for your preferred candidate unimportant to you?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ards-5757.html
Old 03-01-2016, 01:10 PM

We'll be switching back to I's in this home after we vote Bernnie in the primaries......
Old 03-01-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Trump will win your primary without you. Vote in the primary for the Democrat that you'd like to see as President. Then vote for whichever Democrat wins.
It's to do more with not wanting others to get a portion of the delegates. Figure a vote for Trumpy now, is sure vote for a Democrat to win in the fall.

Barney
Old 03-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
And this is a tight race, well within the MOE. Why is voting for your preferred candidate unimportant to you?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ards-5757.html
Because I'd rather remain fiercely independent than cast one vote for Van Hollen (and since I'm an Independent, I can't vote in Maryland's primary anyway).
Old 03-01-2016, 04:29 PM

I have some Van Hollen records.

Carl
Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Because I'd rather remain fiercely independent than cast one vote for Van Hollen (and since I'm an Independent, I can't vote in Maryland's primary anyway).
I know you can't. My point is that you perhaps should.