Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The difference would be that no one expected a bomb in Beirut, and once it went off the party was over.

In Benghazi, there is evidence that the State Department knew beforehand that they were dealing with a security risk, and no aid was sent to assist those in the compound once the fight started. It's not like they couldn't get there in time, it's more like they never even tried in the first place.

Then again, what exactly was going on at that compound to start with?

Chas
The Beirut embassy was bombed with 63 fatalities on April 18, 1983 and then the Marine Barracks was bombed with 299 fatalities on October 23 of the same year. It seems to me that they had 6 months of advance warning for the barracks bombing. Moreover, they moved the embassy after the first bombing and the relocated embassy was bombed again in September of 1983 with 22 fatalities.

Nobody thought then (or thinks today) that Beirut is a secure city, even before the first attack. The Benghazi "scandal" is nothing but a bunch of rabid Teabaggers trying to take advantage of an unfortunate occurrence that was far less costly than any of the three bombings in Beirut in 1983 while Reagan was President. In retrospect, we deposed Gaddafi at the expense of 4 American lives. When compared to lives and treasures expended in Iraq to depose Saddam, I'd say we did OK.

Last edited by finnbow; 09-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Not trying to start any shit but how many low blows does one take to finally take aim at someones tiny lil' jellybeans for you?
A No. 1 southern SPF 2x12 will support a #40 live #10 dead span of 19-11 if placed 12" oc. That falls to a 14-4 span if placed 24" oc.

So I suppose the breaking point would depend on the spacing, the load, and the specific characteristics of the member.

You in business, you should know!!!

Chas
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Admin

Quote:
A No. 1 southern SPF 2x12 will support a #40 live #10 dead span of 19-11 if placed 12" oc. That falls to a 14-4 span if placed 24" oc.

So I suppose the breaking point would depend on the spacing, the load, and the specific characteristics of the member.

You in business, you should know!!!

Chas
Yep, codes are a little stiffer out here in leftyland. No 24" O.C. floorjoisting unless it's those shitty OSB I beam thingies. Been a while since I framed any floors though. Disregard the previous post, in retrospect, I guess I was trying to start shit and I haven't got any firm ground to stand on no matter how much I compact it.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The Beirut embassy was bombed with 63 fatalities on April 18, 1983 and then the Marine Barracks was bombed with 299 fatalities on October 23 of the same year. It seems to me that they had 6 months of advance warning for the barracks bombing. Moreover, they moved the embassy after the first bombing and the relocated embassy was bombed again in September of 1983 with 22 fatalities.

Nobody thought then (or thinks today) that Beirut is a secure city, even before the first attack. The Benghazi "scandal" is nothing but a bunch of rabid Teabaggers trying to take advantage of an unfortunate occurrence that was far less costly than any of the three bombings in Beirut in 1983 while Reagan was President. In retrospect, we deposed Gaddafi at the expense of 4 American lives. When compared to lives and treasures expended in Iraq to depose Saddam, I'd say we did OK.
Very good!!!

Although I will respectfully disagree with your analysis of the Benghazi incident. Not to mention that we had already disposed of Gaddafi before the fact.

On a more agreeable note, have you just returned from the "Land of Milk and Honey"?

Chas
Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yep, codes are a little stiffer out here in leftyland. No 24" O.C. floorjoisting unless it's those shitty OSB I beam thingies. Been a while since I framed any floors though. Disregard the previous post, in retrospect, I guess I was trying to start shit and I haven't got any firm ground to stand on no matter how much I compact it.
I have to agree with you on those crummy I-joists. They're basically sawdust and glue.

Besides, 2x10's or 2x12's are way cheaper. And you can't stomp a hole in one with your foot.

And as far as codes, isn't BOCA the industry standard?

Chas
Old 09-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Very good!!!

Although I will respectfully disagree with your analysis of the Benghazi incident. Not to mention that we had already disposed of Gaddafi before the fact.

On a more agreeable note, have you just returned from the "Land of Milk and Honey"?

Chas
We're heading to Israel, and perhaps southern Jordan, from Nov 4 - Nov 21.

We just got back from a 6-day Blues & Civil War trip to Memphis, the Mississippi Delta and Vicksburg - 2 days in each. On Saturday, we went to the 36th Annual Mississippi Delta Blues Fest in Greenville, MS. Also saw the gravesites of Robert Johnson, Elvis, and Faulkner, among lots of other very cool sites.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Admin

Quote:
I have to agree with you on those crummy I-joists. They're basically sawdust and glue.

Besides, 2x10's or 2x12's are way cheaper. And you can't stomp a hole in one with your foot.

And as far as codes, isn't BOCA the industry standard?

Chas
Only until some city engineer takes a look at your plans... or god forbid you have to hire a structural engineer to stamp them. Sumbitches, all of 'em.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_4013595.html

Chris Matthews said it best: It is like a kidnapper pointing a weapon at the parents and demanding that they had over the child in return for some money. Obama is not going to sign away his biggest accomplishment.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Only until some city engineer takes a look at your plans... or god forbid you have to hire a structural engineer to stamp them. Sumbitches, all of 'em.
Not all of them, when we had this house built the builder came by with plans showing thee house set way back beside a grove of trees. Apparently the county required a 90 foot setback fronm the front property line and the put the house into the septic drain field.

I said screw that and went to the county. Their engineer said look you only need 10,000 square feet for the drain field. You can't extend it at the bottom because the ground there failed the perc test, but you can go to either side.

Went home sat down at the drwing board, remembered my geometry classes and redrew the plan. Went back to the county same engineer looked and said you have more than enough, signed off on the plan and the house is exactly where we wanted it.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Admin

I was being facetious, Rob. I've had good experiences with most everyone at city hall. Homeowners and historical district fascists? Not so much...