Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Although there is indeed a real problem of childhood obesity I think our sedentary lifestyle (internet,video games) has much to with it also. We had tons of junk food in the 1970s....however I think most people were more active. I mean most employment (factories, assembly lines, etc) was actual physical work. Our service economy today has made us not as active.

I mean we had tons of bad food when were kids....maybe we could just not afford it as easily then. Maybe Walmart pricing is killing us with easy access to sugars.

But I love doritos.
Change of work habits is part of the equation. Another part is portion sizes. Soda bottles have grown from 8 or 12 oz. to 20 oz. I've heard that even dinner plates have grown, but I don't have data.

Remeber when the Big Gulp came out in the 1980s? We used to make fun of dumbasses that bought those things. I imagine that now the Big Gulp size is closer to the average serving size. Some people regularly drink from mugs that are bigger than their heads.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Although there is indeed a real problem of childhood obesity I think our sedentary lifestyle (internet,video games) has much to with it also. We had tons of junk food in the 1970s....however I think most people were more active. I mean most employment (factories, assembly lines, etc) was actual physical work. Our service economy today has made us not as active.

I mean we had tons of bad food when were kids....maybe we could just not afford it as easily then. Maybe Walmart pricing is killing us with easy access to sugars.

But I love doritos.
At my age my lifestyle is definitely more sedentary than before but I am still managing to lose weight. Growing up in the depression there was little if any junk food.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My favorite was Jolt cola: 'All the sugar and twice the caffeine!'

I would eat a heart attack burger - it's how I make them. Higher fat hambuger, grilled onions, mushrooms, american and swiss cheese. Add a good leaf of lettuce for heath and wala'!

Pete
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Rob, my dad got rickets as a kid, and still occasionally eats apple cores.

Pete
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM

There's nothing wrong with eating some fatty foods. The problem comes when the portion size is bigger than the head it goes in.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Are people dying of heart attacks at the rate they used to? I do not know but it seems like you hear less about so and so dying from heart attacks...when I was a kid it seemed like everyone was dying from them...just spouting from the top of my head...
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 AM

I think that stent technology has slowed down the heart attack rate. Those things are pretty easy to put in.

Just talking out of my butt. I don't have data.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Area Man

Quote:

But I love doritos.
Doritos do rock. Can't deny that.

And I think you're spot on with everything else in this post. But, you forgot to mention sitting on our arses all day chatting in political forums.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Area Man

I agree with all that has been said here. As a person who has yo-yoed all his life, fighting Chronic Lardass Disease, a huge part of it is personal discipline. However, as I argued incessently and pissed a bunch of people off at AK..................

It doesn't make it any easier fighting people who deliberately try to make the food evermore addicting. And reading this article only solidified my belief that they do it deliberately. I kinda understand why......But, that doesn't make it right, IMHO.

And, I find it amusing that even when they gather to discuss the issue voluntarily, it's really only because Uncle Sam has threatened to tax the piss out of them if they don't do something. That part makes me crazy. Why should they have to be threatened to make a more nutritious product, to do the "right" thing?

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
They have a name for it. Cheese Product or something like that.

Americans eat cheesy goo that squirts out of a can FFS. That's messed up. Of course people are going to turn into fatasses when they can inject food into their pie holes.
It's called "pasteurized, processed cheese-food."