Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Jigsawed

US added 217000 jobs

The US jobs outlook maintains a positive tenor.

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...eport-may.html
Old 06-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post

Yeah but you're getting that from Aljazeera.

Them's terrists!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post

But it used to be that approx 15% of jobs were that low paying type, now it is up to slightly more than 50%
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
But it used to be that approx 15% of jobs were that low paying type, now it is up to slightly more than 50%
That is the nature of our modern US service heavy economy.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Yeah but you're getting that from Aljazeera.

Them's terrists!
I know.

I have come to realize that Aljazeera uses some of the best writers and
their articles are more in depth than say the BBC.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And that's the real problem.

We probably have enough jobs if they paid decent.

But as it is now it takes two, three, or more jobs to support a family where it should take only one.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Area Man

Quote:

But as it is now it takes two, three, or more jobs to support a family where it should take only one.
The better paying jobs put "disposable" income into peoples pockets and create demand. The low paying jobs barely pay anyone enough to survive, if that.

Guess which one is better for economic growth.................

Yet, this point seems to be a bit beyond the grasp of all too many of our countrymen.

Dave
Old 06-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:

I have to agree. If I had to buy our house now theres no way we could afford it.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The better paying jobs put "disposable" income into peoples pockets and create demand. The low paying jobs barely pay anyone enough to survive, if that.

Guess which one is better for economic growth.................

Yet, this point seems to be a bit beyond the grasp of all too many of our countrymen.

Dave

True, but there are a few that just aren't going to spend a dime. Like a friend of mine up the holler. He makes about 32.00hr and drives his old rusty 1982 Ford F-350 flatbed truck with big block 460 4bbl 46 miles one way to the Nissan plant and has been working there over 20 years. It has 4.11 gears with grandma low transmission ( no over drive ) and about 55 mph is all you can go without over running the engine. Has plenty of money but buys cheap used tires rather than new for his truck, and riding mower.. never replaces any tires with new. All tools are from yard sales, fleamarket, etc.. used rather than new. Same with farm equipment. He's so tight I watched him cut a long bolt down and grind it on each end and use it as a push-rod when a push-rod broke in his tractor engine. It has no oil passage through the center of it like the original but some how it's ran about 5 years rigged. If I had his money I would have just bought a push rod. His farm is paid for... but his money he will not spend. Few years ago he showed me he had over 80k in his checking ( and he had just paid off his farm then so that number I'm sure has grown ),.. says he isn't about to put anything in savings to be taxed on interest, even if it's small. Also said he's not going to disturb his 401k until he's sure it'll all be his when he's ready for it and not be penalized. Only money he really spends is on gas for that old gas hog truck that I rebuilt the engine in 08?? because he wanted to keep driving it rather than buy something better and cheaper to operate.

I'm the same way with my 1994 truck, but it's a little 4 cyl and gets slightly over 30 mpg. I wouldn't hang on to it as daily driver and keep it running all these years if I was only getting 8 mpg though. Well, maybe if I could afford to maybe I would, dunno about daily driver restricted to 55 mph at 8 mpg. A road trip would take forever on I-40 today and it'd probably piss off alot of people being in their way.

Last edited by hillbilly; 06-07-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Area Man

Well, that's you and him.

Not trying to be nasty, but, there are just over 310,000,000 more Americans outside the holler. And, not very many of us are content to live so tight.

I have an old truck that I drive to work too. 1997 Dodge Dakota, 5.2 liter (318) two wheel drive. 211,000 miles. Over the last month I've replaced tie rods, ball joints, timing chain, water pump and thermostat. All new hoses. Going back a year, you can add the heater core, fuel pump, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor to that list. Plus I upgraded the brakes with new calipers, ceramic pads and slotted rotors.

Did all of the work myself but used all new, high quality parts. No remans. Trying to get 300,000 miles out of it.

She has dents, scratches, rust and the headliner has fallen, but she runs as strong as a team of Clydesdales.

Dave