Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Things are getting a little better here job wise, but not by leaps and bounds. Sadly I think they are still battling this law out in the courts. Typical red tape crap.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Indeed.com shows over 27K job ads that pay over $40K in Michigan.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM

Someone in Michigan must need some good press. While this bill may appeal to people reading the headline, it really doesn't do much in the bigger scheme of things. With all the exceptions available and an added safety net funded by gov. I don't see what the point is.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Admin

"Then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm, a Democrat, signed a bill that created a four-year limit starting in 2007. But that law exempted many welfare recipients, including those whose caseworkers said they were making progress toward finding employment."

What's to bitch about? Sounds like Jenn Granholm was a Repubs wet dream come true? Since then the statehouse Repubs pulled out all the stops and pulled every dirty trick they could during the lameduck period with the goal of turning the home of the UAW into yet another right to starve state. For what? To compete with Indiana? Oh, please. Michigan has turned into a land of fairytales. I'm sure my Yooper gramps would have some choice words for the anti-union crowd in Lansing. Friggin' traitorous bastids.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Indeed.com shows over 27K job ads that pay over $40K in Michigan.
Must be Obama's fault?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Things are getting a little better here job wise, but not by leaps and bounds. Sadly I think they are still battling this law out in the courts. Typical red tape crap.
It's slow all over, Dave. That was the biggest hole we've had to dig ourselves out of since the '30's. At least the Prez didn't let the auto industry go belly up like the Republican party was all for back in '08 - '09.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Must be Obama's fault?
That people don't want to work? No, it's a lot bigger than him, but he makes a good mascot.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswojo View Post
Minimum wage and part-time to boot, time to rejoice and give thanks.

I really call myself fortunate that I am no longer part of the "workforce". I thought it was bad in the late '70s and early '80s but it appears to be much, much worse now. It is not a good thing for anyone to say they are glad to be old, but I am glad I am. It gets very, very depressing trying to find work and getting rejected time and time again. It can make a person feel downright worthless.
I hear ya. My better half has been getting no response from applications for years. It sucks. She's only a handful of years from retirement age. I've got 9 years to go so, I'll probably just up and die in the traces...

Last edited by bobabode; 04-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
That people don't want to work? No, it's a lot bigger than him, but he makes a good mascot.
You know me better than that, Was.

It must be Obama's fault that the economy is getting better despite the best efforts of the Teabaggers in congress.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Admin

How the heck is it goin' up there, Was? Is the river ice breaking up yet? That must be a helluva sight. You aren't doing any ice fishin', are you?