Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

GOP Healthcare and Immigration Proposals

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I have great doubts about the sincerity of the GOP's new proposals for health care reform and immigration. I can't help but think they made these proposals because we're now in an election year and they want to show that they're over the Tea Party and are now serious about governance and not just obstruction.

Their health care plan has no chance whatsoever, beyond its landing about 5 (if not 14) years too late. As for immigration, they want to tell Hispanics that they care about them, but have no intention of truly doing anything before the GOP primaries for the 2014 Congressional elections. They want to make it look appealing and like they're doing something, but include a "poison pill" that keeps it from passing so they can blame Obama while still ensuring that no immigration reform occurs.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 PM

You know if they just worked with the President a little things would go better in the long run for them. Boehner would maybe hold the status quo in the House. If they do nothing but obstruct they might hold seats in the deep South but I can see them losing seats in the North and Mid-West and out here. I know I seem to go overboard but it is obvious the far-right religious wing of the Dixecrats has made the GOP unable to nominate a winner in 2016. I think Jeb Bush is a bottom of the barrel dark horse scrape whose last name may still doom him.

Any one want a Bush in office? after the last one?

Do immigration reform
Do an infrastructure bill
A jobs bill

and the economy might get going really strong

Rand Paul is not electable. John Huntsman is too moderate. Scott Brown is too quirky for me. The Republicans should not be happy about Christie. Who knows he might pull a Dick Nixon and come back from the dead.

Last edited by icenine; 01-30-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Admin

http://www.speaker.gov/sites/speaker...-Standards.pdf

Reading this latest from the Orange man right now and I can't say I'm impressed.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 AM

If the Repubs swallow the bait on immigration, they'll be signing the death warrant for their own party. Its a sad, cynical and useless effort that will likely benefit the political elites while pissing all over the rule of law.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
If the Repubs swallow the bait on immigration, they'll be signing the death warrant for their own party. Its a sad, cynical and useless effort that will likely benefit the political elites while pissing all over the rule of law.
Actually, they're trapped either way. Perhaps that's as it should be, given the xenophobic tactics they've used for several decades to solidify their base. I think they're now trying to finesse the issue in a way that will appease their base while making immigrants believe that the GOP has given up its xenophobic ways.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Actually, they're trapped either way. Perhaps that's as it should be, given the xenophobic tactics they've used for several decades to solidify their base. I think they're now trying to finesse the issue in a way that will appease their base while making immigrants believe that the GOP has given up its xenophobic ways.
No. They're trapped between a misinterpretation of last year's election results, the current immigration laws that do not need to be flouted but which both Dems and Repubs appear more than ready to do, and the Chamber of Commerce.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:35 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
No. They're trapped between a misinterpretation of last year's election results, the current immigration laws that do not need to be flouted but which both Dems and Repubs appear more than ready to do, and the Chamber of Commerce.
Keep interpreting it that way and resign yourself to having Democratic Presidents for decades to come. Boehner, Proebus, Ryan, etc. are not floating this trial balloon because they're masochists. They (unlike the Tea Party) realize full well how demographically challenged the GOP is. You can't sustain a national party based solely on the callous rich, cranky old whites, and angry southerners.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Keep interpreting it that way and resign yourself to having Democratic Presidents for decades to come. Boehner, Proebus, Ryan, etc. are not floating this trial balloon because they're masochists. They (unlike the Tea Party) realize full well how demographically challenged the GOP is. You can't sustain a national party based solely on the callous rich, cranky old whites, and angry southerners.
Actually, I think if the Repubs align themselves with the Dems on this issue they can kiss their asses goodbye as a party. The Repubs have allowed themselves to be painted as characterization, as exemplified by your post. Yet does anyone really think that if the Repubs unite with the Dems on this issue - again, an issue that doesn't need to be addressed by "amnesty" or anything close to it - that the Repub's stature will in any way be enhanced amongst the demographic that they're ostensibly catering to? Does anyone think that the Dems will in any way share political credit for this? Does anyone think that the media will credit anyone other than the Obama and Dems? Does any thinking person in the Repub ranks believe that these "emancipated" illegal aliens or their progeny won't - per your post above - vote for "Democrat presidents for decades to come"? Do they care?

I have no idea where the Repubs are going with this.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Actually, I think if the Repubs align themselves with the Dems on this issue they can kiss their asses goodbye as a party. ...

I have no idea where the Repubs are going with this.
As I stated a few posts ago, they're phucked either way, although if they do it right (whatever that means), they may have a chance in 10-12 years. If not, they may as well throw in the towel as a national party. I view it as just deserts for their decades of rallying their base with xenophobic red meat.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I view it as just deserts for their decades of rallying their base with xenophobic red meat.
Hardly, but that's how the Repubs have allowed themselves to be painted. And it continues unabated in this debate as well.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/31/zu...igrant-groups/