Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Abby Normal

Is the circus coming to your town?

The circus will start it's tour next week in Michigan but sadly will make no stops near my neighborhood.

"The Grand Rapids appearance will then be followed by appearances in Roanoke, Va.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; Sioux City, Iowa; Noblesville, Ind.; Washington, Pa. and Fort Bragg, N.C.

Chicago, Los Angeles and New York, all major media outlets, are not part of Palin's tour."

The tour is getting a kick off today as Levi will bear it all for playgirl.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...incidence.html

The women is a gift to comedy and I for one will enjoy every minute of it.

Come on love her or hate her, you gotta laugh at her.

The most amazing part of this is that this women thinks there are enough folks in this great country to make her king. Sorry Sarah you may get some support from the lunatics but all in all this county can see a side show for what it is, just a momentary curiosity.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Loyal Opposition

Sarah is the Pied Piper of the GOP. She will keep marching them toward that cliff on the right edge of the world, as more and more of the smart ones jump out of line. It will be interesting to see how many of the right wing challenges to incumbent GOP congressmen she will support. Fortunately, she and her ilk might bring a fillibuster-proof senate Washington.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 AM

Praying she is nominated in 2012 and again in 2016. Shoot, she's young, nominate her again in 2020.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Area Man

I need to see if I can make the one in Roanoke! That would be a hoot! I'll make a sign, "Vote Palin in 2012! She has a nice ass!". Since there will be no "feminazis" there, it should be okay, right?

Dave
Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Sarah is the Pied Piper of the GOP. She will keep marching them toward that cliff on the right edge of the world, as more and more of the smart ones jump out of line. It will be interesting to see how many of the right wing challenges to incumbent GOP congressmen she will support. Fortunately, she and her ilk might bring a fillibuster-proof senate Washington.

Regards,

D-Ray
I tend to disagree.

Since there is not much difference between the Dems and the GOP on the national stage, she is simply offering conservatives, or those who have become tired of politics as usual, an alternative.

But who knows, you may be right...she may destroy the Republican Party. And, IMHO, should she do that, then it needed to be destroyed in the first place.

2008 was the Democrats year. I suspect 2010 may be different.

But I've been wrong before.

Chas
Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I tend to disagree.

Since there is not much difference between the Dems and the GOP on the national stage, she is simply offering conservatives, or those who have become tired of politics as usual, an alternative.

But who knows, you may be right...she may destroy the Republican Party. And, IMHO, should she do that, then it needed to be destroyed in the first place.

But I've been wrong before.

Chas
By saying that there is not much difference between the parties on the national stage, are you suggesting that the unanimity of the Republicans in opposition to the proposed healthcare bill is simply politics rather than policy?

To me, saying that Palin is just offering conservatives an alternative, really means that she wants to insure deadlock. Her block wants to put people in office who would not dream of compromising with the democrats in order to move forward in governance.

When I speak of "her" block or movement, I am using her as the symbol of the tea party/birthers and religious conservatives in the party, insofar as she is now the face of the movement. I see that movement as marginalizing the party, so whether you look at is as marginalizing or destroying the party, it's just a matter of degree.

I operate from the premise, with which you might agree, that the politics in the country had been on a general rightward swing for nearly thirty years. I include the Clinton years, because his success came from adopting a number of conservative positions as well as from his charisma. Certainly the eight years of Bush was a dramatic swing to the right with decreased respect for civil rights, spying on citizens, labelling opponents as traitors, cutting taxes and over-spending on militarism, stacking the courts with conservative activists, and adopting the language of religious conservatives.

I think the pendulum has swung as far to the right as possible. The majority of citizens were sick of seeing the special treatment that corporate America was receiving in Washington, they resented being spyed upon, and they had long grown weary of the excessive military spending. The people elected a President that was not nearly as liberal as the GOP tries to make him out to be, but who was a clean break from the Bush politics.

Now that pendulum is on the way to the center, the Palin wing is insisting on strict conformity with their conservative view. To enforce that conformity they are planning to defeat any republicans who might be inching toward the center.

I would have expected some loss of seats in 2010 as is ususal in off-year elections, but the actions from the Palin wing could serve to overcome the off-year lull for the party in power. The "silent majority" identified by Spiro Agnew was never as far to the right as the Palinites, and is unlikely to accept the strict party line that wing demands. If her strategy is successful within the GOP, it will also serve as a successful strategy for the democrats.

That's just the way I see it, but I am quite capable of being wrong. I just don't expect to be.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
History would suggest you are right. If the Republicans don't take over both houses of Congress it will be an indication that there is real trouble for them.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

I do wish y'all would stop calling the Palinites 'conservatives', it they are conservatives then I am King of Romania (apologies to Dorothy Parker).
Old 11-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I tend to disagree.

she is simply offering conservatives, or those who have become tired of politics as usual, an alternative.
an alternative????

Chas she's an idiot. Seriously.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
If for no other reason, I love her because she seems to worry the shit out of left wingers.
I guess I'm what you'd call a left winger. I'm certainly to the left of center. Palin doesn't worry me in the slightest as far as her ever getting elected to anything at the national level. None of this "our team, their team" crap where she's concerned except as far as my belief that she actually hurts the Republican party and their electoral chances in 2010 & 2012.

What does worry me is the possibility that her inflammatory rhetoric deepens the divide between Americans and might prompt some of her less stable supporters to acts of violence. She and the other right wing extremists in this country are playing with some serious fire and we've already seen quite a few sparks and even some brush fires.

There was the guy in Pittsburgh who killed three cops because right wing talkers had convinced him Obama was going to take his guns away.

There was also the guy in Tennessee who shot up a Unitarian church because it was as close as he felt he could come to killing all the liberals and gays on Bernard Goldberg's list of "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America".

There was the right winger in Maine who was building a dirty bomb but whose wife shot and killed him before he could do any harm.

There was the right winger who went on a murderous rampage at the DC Holocaust Museum.

And of course, there was Tim McVeigh who blew up the Federal office building in Oklahoma City so as to provoke an overreaction from the government, thus causing a right wing revolt a la "The Turner Diaries".

I could go on but I won't because I'm sure you get the idea.

So anyway, back to Palin. On balance I wish she'd disappear. Her negatives for the Republicans aren't worth her negatives for the country.

John