Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post
Elitism is an attitude and isn't directly tied to someone's level of wealth. Go look up the definition.

It is precisely the point I was trying to get across, something akin to totally f**king clueless.

Carl
Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Area Man

Yeah, nothing elitist, arrogant or conceited about the party of Gingrich and Limbaugh....
(Hooooo, boy...........)

The Republicans have mastered the art of telling you how much "holier than thou" they are with a warm smile and a firm handshake.

That's the only real difference.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Area Man

Reminds me of when I shook hands with Nixon at the tender age of eight.
My Republican mother had taken me to Youngstown for his speech and baby kissing tour in 1972. Tricky Dick took my hand, said, "Nice to meet ya, young fella." and moved down the barricade. When we got home, my Mom gleefully told Pop, her FDR Democrat husband, "Davey shook hands with the president!". He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and said;

"You shook hands with Nixon?"

"Yessir."

"Go wash it."

Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Reminds me of when I shook hands with Nixon at the tender age of eight.
My Republican mother had taken me to Youngstown for his speech and baby kissing tour in 1972. Tricky Dick took my hand, said, "Nice to meet ya, young fella." and moved down the barricade. When we got home, my Mom gleefully told Pop, her FDR Democrat husband, "Davey shook hands with the president!". He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and said;

"You shook hands with Nixon?"

"Yessir."

"Go wash it."

Dave
Good one!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Admin

Now I know why you became lefty.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
There I fixed it for ya'.
Damn kids using an l33t language all their own. I usually only see l33t speak on hacker sites and among the gamers. It was damn cool in the early days because only the insiders knew the language. It is still a PITA if a whole sentence is written in it. I suspect that is because the shape of the word outline conveys quite a bit of meaning; hence, when the shape is different it makes reading much more difficult.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Now I know why you became lefty.
Pop was the shiznit.

Born and raised in a very poor family in Northern Minnesota. Worked in the CCC/WPA camps in the 1930s. Served twelve years in the Navy, WW2 Veteran.

He worked a lot. All the OT he could get at the Chrysler plant, worked part time at the Ashland station down the street doin' oil changes and minor mainenance stuff on cars and also painted houses on weekends. At one point he had six kids at home and one in college. The only things he counted as "his" was his clothes, his car, his books and his dog. (He would look at us, and say; "My dog stinks. You need to wash him.") Everything else was "ours". He read every chance he got. He'd read a book and if he liked it, he would keep it. If it was so-so, or he didn't care for it, he would donate it to the public library. When he died, we gave them the rest, and they FILLED the back of my brothers Silverado more than once and had it squatting all the way down.

Rarely watched T.V., unless Johnny Carson or a ballgame was on. Referrred to it as "The Idiot Box".

He believed the world would be a better place if everyone worked hard, stood firm for strong wages and placed the needs of others ahead of their own.

He despised Ronald Reagan and the Conservative movement that began with Goldwater.

My mother was a staunch Republican from a very Republican family---She would beat us for being reluctant to go to church with her. Or if we had violated any of the plethora of anal retentive rules she had set forth. The only person she didn't try to bully was Pop. Because she new he was a rare gem.

The only mistake Pop made was working so much that he didn't fully realize what was going on until we were all full grown.

There, now you know.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Sounds like a great man, Dave. I'm sure he would be proud of the man you have become.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well mezz considering that you only post to throw about gratuitous insults with no real meat in the post, lawn mowing this early does indicate climate change. I suppose that your demonstrated inability to distinguish your arse from your elbow probably has much to do with it all.
I am surprised sir. Although I'll admit the thought had taken form, I quickly dismissed any notion that you, having surely seen a couple of seasons, could have failed to become immune to such reckless speculation regarding climate change as attaching some deep significance to an early spring.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Aww.. I guess somebody outed you on the Harley forums for being a weekend warrior with a garage queen. Is that why you came back?
That is hardly something that would require an 'outing'. Election time ramping up is a more likely scenario for my resurfacing here although this forum is decidedly lightweight compared to the now defunct Guardian Talk Political forums. That's probably a compliment although I'm pretty sure you won't take it that way.