Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Loyal Opposition

It is easier to conjure up fear about people who cross our border on the way in than jobs that cross the border on the way out.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
That is the weirdest part of it all, Pete. The working class has somehow been convinced that the party of the economic elite, the ones who work to crush unions and send jobs off shore, is the party they should be supporting. I don't get it.
Fear and blame.

They've been led to believe the unions are guilty for ALL of the nations economic woes. That the only way forward for the country is to just shut up and give the bosses whatever they want. Trust me, Eric. It is a thin veil. Most people understand what's going on, they feel powerless to stop it. They are afraid of the corporate machine, they know it has them by the balls, so they figure if they just go along, everything will work out-----somehow. What one typically hears is stuff along the lines of; "A shitty job is better than no job."

Cities such as Detriot are held up as the Randian example of industry abandoning a politically empowered workforce. And, honestly, they are not too far from the mark. Detriot and other cities were abandoned by industrial leaders who did not like having to negotiate with the riff-raff. Resented paying middle class wages to a bunch of ne'er-do-wells.

What bothers me is this;

What is the opposite of an "empowered workforce" and just how in the hell can that be called "freedom"? For who? The handful at the top? How could a nation run by a relative handfull of super wealthy corporate oligarchs and their stooges in a compliant government ever, by any stretch of the imagination, result in a "free and open society"?

It can't.

If there is anything we, as human beings should have learned over the last century, is that the type of personality that rises to the top of any large corporation does NOT like being told what to do, by anyone, especially not a bunch of t-shirt wearing little people and the pain in the ass politicians that they voted for. They are completely un-democratic and authoritarian. You can vote a politician out of office. When was the last time you had an opportunity to campaign against and unseat a CEO? My guess would be NEVER. And as long as his cronies want him there, you never will.

The American dream is dead. And I'm not the one who had the power to kill it. So, I wish people would quit ranting at me for pointing out who does. I'm not the one who decided to abandon Detroit, or Pittsburg, or Youngstown or Gary or Fort Wayne.............. I've never outsourced a single job, or closed a single factory.

Who does that sort of thing, Erik?
Who has the ability to wreak that sort of havoc, when they don't get their way?
You?
Me?
The mailman?

Tell me. I'd like to know.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-29-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
His planned coalition seems to dovetail nicely with the GOP coalition of the callous rich and undereducated, angry southern whites.
That's just as big of a misconception as the one where Democrats are the party of the working man.

Chas
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
How many folks who are trained in the sciences do you think are really comfortable with the party of the religious right?

Regards,

D-Ray
The religious right are simply some of the members, much like the anarchists and communists are some of the members of the Democratic party.

And as far as the religious right goes, the vast majority aren't fire and brimstone snake kissers. Actually, they're just pretty decent folks.

Chas
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's just as big of a misconception as the one where Democrats are the party of the working man.

Chas
My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, in keeping with the nature of the article cited in the OP.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, in keeping with the nature of the article cited in the OP.
It never ceases to amaze me as to just how many people make a damn good living explaining their take on the nature of things to us numb nuts.

I guess they all can't be weathermen.

Chas
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The religious right are simply some of the members, much like the anarchists and communists are some of the members of the Democratic party.

And as far as the religious right goes, the vast majority aren't fire and brimstone snake kissers. Actually, they're just pretty decent folks.

Chas
Yeah, but - - - the candidates certainly pander to that portion of the GOP's members. Having any bent toward science has seemed to be a detriment in the debates.

I would expect anarchists to be more comfortable in the Libertarian party. And most any communist would be disgusted with sloppy wet kisses the president has laid on so many high powered capitalists.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Fear and blame.

They've been led to believe the unions are guilty for ALL of the nations economic woes. That the only way forward for the country is to just shut up and give the bosses whatever they want. Trust me, Eric. It is a thin veil. Most people understand what's going on, they feel powerless to stop it. They are afraid of the corporate machine, they know it has them by the balls, so they figure if they just go along, everything will work out-----somehow. What one typically hears is stuff along the lines of; "A shitty job is better than no job."

Cities such as Detriot are held up as the Randian example of industry abandoning a politically empowered workforce. And, honestly, they are not too far from the mark. Detriot and other cities were abandoned by industrial leaders who did not like having to negotiate with the riff-raff. Resented paying middle class wages to a bunch of ne'er-do-wells.

What bothers me is this;

What is the opposite of an "empowered workforce" and just how in the hell can that be called "freedom"? For who? The handful at the top? How could a nation run by a relative handfull of super wealthy corporate oligarchs and their stooges in a compliant government ever, by any stretch of the imagination, result in a "free and open society"?

It can't.

If there is anything we, as human beings should have learned over the last century, is that the type of personality that rises to the top of any large corporation does NOT like being told what to do, by anyone, especially not a bunch of t-shirt wearing little people and the pain in the ass politicians that they voted for. They are completely un-democratic and authoritarian. You can vote a politician out of office. When was the last time you had an opportunity to campaign against and unseat a CEO? My guess would be NEVER. And as long as his cronies want him there, you never will.

The American dream is dead. And I'm not the one who had the power to kill it. So, I wish people would quit ranting at me for pointing out who does. I'm not the one who decided to abandon Detroit, or Pittsburg, or Youngstown or Gary or Fort Wayne.............. I've never outsourced a single job, or closed a single factory.

Who does that sort of thing, Erik?
Who has the ability to wreak that sort of havoc, when they don't get their way?
You?
Me?
The mailman?

Tell me. I'd like to know.

Dave
I'd vote for you, Dave!

Great post.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Area Man

Thank you, thank you.........but, I'm unelectable.

Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
.........but, I'm unelectable.
I'm right there with ya in that line