Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Good gravy, the left loves to pick people apart, all in the name of correctness, don't they?
I dunno about "the left," but I'll admit to enjoying myself from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
There are over 200K folks ccw's here in Ohio. That's 200k more people out there adding to my security - on their dime.

I know, we're such an amazingly safe society, which would explain why there are no violent crimes in this great country.

Pete
Like most things, it's a complex issue. The violent crime rate has been falling in NYC for decades. It's essentially as low as it's ever been now, and it's lower than in many other cities. This has NOT happened because the general population is armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Practicing psych without a license are we?

I want to be optimistic about human nature. That's why I lock my doors. Because the dissapointment would just kill my spirit.

Was woken up in the middle of the night last week when someone discharged a low caliber gun outside my house. Discovered a cute little racoon that had be hit by a car in the road with a bullet in it. I'm glad someone was soo considerate. Also had a coyote show up less then 10 yards from my back patio 2 weeks ago. I NEED to keep a weapon handy.

Since you "shrinks" don't get it -- Let me lay it out for you. An armed society is a polite society. You only need the deterrent effect of a very few folks who are willing to carry defensive weapons for that effect to dominate over crime. (Looks like Pete beat me to that argument!)

The reason there is little action on the legislative front is that facts and reason have won that argument with the landslide of PRO-GUN legislation enacted over the past 20 years. And we now know that all the hysteria and blustering about too many guns was just that.

I'm willing to toughen the Insta-Check system.. But I'm convinced that you'd have to rip it out of incompetent govt hands to make it better. The govt can't even keep dead people and felons off the voting rolls -- Are you SURPRISED that they can't coordinate legal, mental records for gun purchase applicants? Give it MasterCard or FedEx, they could handle the job....
BlueStreak's got me covered on the answer to this one.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Area Man

"Practicing psych without a license are we?"

Yep.

Maybe the time to examine the psychology of the right has come?
Maybe the time to question what motivates them is upon us?

So far the prime motivators look like fear and paranoia to me. (With a sizable helping of greed.)

After all they've been calling people names, (pussy, wimp, fag, pinko, etc.) and hypothesizing on the thought processes of the left and even moderates and independents (Fence-sitters, indecisive, etc.) for years now.

Turnabout is fair play is it not?

Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 PM

My aunt and uncle lived in the sticks. My aunt would buy a real big bag of dog food and just feed the racoons. They would show up at 10 pm eat and go away and not bother any of the other animals they had. She had a pic of them lined up side by side at the sliding patio door, it was a real crack up.

Carl
Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
My aunt and uncle lived in the sticks. My aunt would buy a real big bag of dog food and just feed the racoons. They would show up at 10 pm eat and go away and not bother any of the other animals they had. She had a pic of them lined up side by side at the sliding patio door, it was a real crack up.

Carl
Hmmmmm......

She fed them to make them docile and out of the trash cans. Or, she could have spent every morning shooting at them, only to have to get up and do it every day for the rest of her life. Dead raccoons everywhere.

Interesting.

Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM

They had a couple horses, goats, some geese, even a peacock. My uncle had an aviary where he would raise finches and lovebirds too. My aunt also fed any stray 3 legged type cats too but they would generally hang out even if not people friendly. And anything else she would pretty much place. A very cool place to visit, miss them folks.

Carl
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I have never heard a crime reported that was done with ccw.

On the other hand....

Pete
Jared Loughner (Gifford's shooter) legally carried his gun in AZ (no CCW is even required there).

As for being an armchair psychologist (and gunowner, BTW), here goes:

Scientific study demonstrates that Republicans are insecure (this accounts for them generally being against change and for the status quo, per the study).
Republicans favor unfettered CCW.
Therefore, CCW carriers are insecure.

The transitive property at work (A=B, B=C, therefore A=C). 'Nuf said.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Lol!

Btw, it's currently the left fighting for the status quo - has the left become insecure, and if so, would we see ccw permits to Democrats go up?

Pete
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Lol!

Btw, it's currently the left fighting for the status quo - has the left become insecure, and if so, would we see ccw permits to Democrats go up?

Pete
Funny you should mention that, Pete. Michael Gerson (Dubya's speechwriter) wrote the following with respect to the reception Ryan's Medicare reform is getting among many conservative voters:

Conservatives should understand that much of the opposition to Medicare reform is conservative, at least in form. It is rooted in a fear of change and a resentment of meddling officials. A general distrust of politics extends to a distrust of politicians engaged in confusing reforms. In a choice between the status quo and major change, a center-right country generally will choose the status quo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...zEH_story.html
Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about people who think they must have one within reach 24/7, or they just do not feel safe, they "feel" vulnerable, and exposed without it. They are apparently so frightened and paranoid, they can't even sit in a church pew or on a toilet in their own home without a loaded weapon nearby.

Are you telling me this is perfectly sane and reasonable?
If you have a CCW because your ex-husband is abusive and stalking you -- it's reasonable. If you have a CCW because you want your contracting service to serve the ghetto, but you ain't taking chances -- it's reasonable. If you've been robbed or mugged or have a family member who has been robbed or mugged -- it's reasonable. If you have a CCW not because you want to pack heat 24/7, but you saw what happens in places like New Orleans when disasters strike and THEN you want to strap it on -- its reasonable.

Now to be fair Dave -- if you live in a quiet little town with no crime, it gets a little weird. But that's not MY call now is it?..

When my daughter went off to college, I wanted her to carry pepper spray.. WHEN IS IT APPROPRIATE FOR HER TO HAVE IT WITH HER? And why is that different from a CCW?

Quote:
And, of course it would have to be the government, state or federal makes little difference, that makes and enforces regulation. Who else? And no, I don't want Mastercard or Fedex becoming vigilante law enforcement either, that's ridiculous. I never voted for any of the people who run those organizations.
I'm deadly serious here. You expect the same govt who can't keep the voter rolls clean to accurately manage a "no mistakes, no errors" gun InstaCheck? The same govt that RENEWED Mohammed Attah's VISA after he martyred himself? Can't be done. Won't happen. The IRS uses private vendors to open your envelopes and make deposits. In fact MANY states use outside services to help clean their voter rolls. And MEDICARE processing is ENTIRELY done in the private sector..

I'm all for a no-excuses, no-errors improvement to Insta-Check so we KNOW who is buying guns. But I'm 100% POSITIVE, this can't be done without competence and diligience that doesn't exist in the Fed bureacracy..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 PM

BTW:

Here's a nice little summary of the HUGE increase in CCW states in the past 20 years.. And a heart-warming anecdotal tale of self-defense at a 12-step meeting. MAYBE, that 12-step meeting was being held in a CHURCH Mr. BlueStreak...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714389/ns/us_news-life

JonL: The only insecurity I have that might get me to consider a CCW permit, would be the coming CLASS WAR that some on this board are egging on.. I WILL defend ALL of my stuff from the proletariat hordes!