Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Area Man

I just don't get it....................

My home state of Ohio recently passed legislation making it legal to carry a gun into sporting events, and I believe into church as well.

Now, those of you who have been around here for a while know I am not against individuals owning guns for hunting, target shooting or personal protection. Despite the fact that I don't own any myself.

However,
Something has been bugging me for a while now. It is not a question of the legality or constitutionality of gun ownership, nor is it a question of the morality of possessing guns.

What I have been wondering about is the psychology behind individuals who seem to feel as though our society is such a dangerous, horrible place that they must be armed at all times. Is it really all that bad? I can't fathom why so many would feel it's a necessity to pack heat in church? Oh, I know, I heard the story about a guy who went off a shot up a church too. But, considering the number of churches in this country, I would say that one church shootout in the last year, or ten, or hundred years (As the case may be.) really isn't bad, statistically speaking. You stand a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

I posted my simple question on FaceBook, knowing it would get a rise out of my friends and family in Ohio. The answers ranged from "Darwinism at it's best.", which I thought was humorous, to "I saw a guy get beat up in a bathroom at a Browns game." to "You're never really safe anywhere." to a guy who says he carries carries a weapon "...everywhere I go, even when I'm cutting the grass, or in the shithouse taking a dump. I have a CCW permit that's good in twenty three states....(Blah, blah, bah..)". He even went on to say that he's "proud to be armed at all times, it's my constitutional right." As if it's some patriotic badge of honor to be seen packing heat in public. WTF.

Now, I live in the same country as these folks do. As a matter of fact, I live in a crappier neighborhood than most of them do. I've never owned a gun, and it's NEVER been an issue. Not once, in the twenty two years I've lived here, or the forty seven years I've sucked air. I just don't see that it's such an imperative. Yes, I know the world is unpredictable, that anything can happen anywhere. But, it seems to me that the current trend is just a tad irrational.

So, what is it? What is making so many people believe they have to be armed to the teeth "at all times"?

A) Is it the medias constant ambulance chasing?

B) Is it the result of some sort of political hullabaloo being spewed about by goofy politicians?

C). Or is it a reaction to the notion that stricter gun controls may come about in the future?

D) Or maybe a fairly large chunk of our populace is just rapidly losing their minds?

Maybe it's (E)---All of the above?

A loaded gun stashed in every room of the house, never beyond arms reach? Really? Is your neighborhood that bad? If so, why don't you just move? WTF, Dude?

Has anyone else here been wondering the same thing?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-30-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Abby Normal

the correct answer is F.

The NRA who through self promotion has caused irrational fear as has the GOP.

Then there is psychology of bravado. This is primal and instinctive. On a sub conscious level carrying a gun to many enhances their self image of power making them feel a more desirable potential mate to the female. This is misguided as in this day and age economic success is the power that females are attracted to.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Motorvating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
the correct answer is F.

Then there is psychology of bravado. This is primal and instinctive. On a sub conscious level carrying a gun to many enhances their self image of power making them feel a more desirable potential mate to the female. This is misguided as in this day and age economic success is the power that females are attracted to.
There's maybe a parallel between guns and great big 4wd trucks. The trucks say

A). I'm a macho man, I can handle this big powerful vehicle.
2). my fwd penis extension makes me desirable.
3). Don't mess with me or my car.

When you think about it, how many popular songs are out there glorifying cars? Maybalene, Little Duce Coupe. I can't spell but I can drive a car........
Old 05-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Loyal Opposition

First off, Dave, "the forty-seven years I have sucked air." That is a classic line.

The way we look at guns is a reflection of what is happening in other areas of our politics. We are unable or unwilling to look for common ground. We are interfering with peoples' constitutional rights if we don't allow foot long magazines for handguns, or allow people to pack heat anywhere and everywhere they want to be. On the other hand, some people aren't going to feel safe until we round up all of the handguns and melt them. There has to be room for some reasonable restriction. Moreover, in this day and age, it's time to give up the thought that having one's own stable of guns gives anyone a prayer of overthrowing the government. Maybe gun opponents can also reconcile themselves that guns will continue to be some part of our consciousness, and focus their energy on making sure people who own guns are trained in gun handling. At least, we can listen to ideas.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
the correct answer is F.
XXXX is coming for your guns has always gotten the NRA big donations to save us all.

Carl
Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I don't get it either. As the owner of a 10-12 guns, I don't even conceive of them as a means of personal defense. I use them to hunt and to shoot at my gun club. Otherwise, they remain under lock and key. Those best suited for personal defense (pistols and shotguns) have never been kept loaded outside of the safe. Never.

I remember a much-ballyhooed study from last year wherein it stated that Conservatives and Liberals were "wired" differently. Conservatives tended to be insecure (which may account for their resistance to change or perhaps even their propensity to "cling to their guns and religion").
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Area Man

"I remember a much-ballyhooed study from last year wherein it stated that Conservatives and Liberals were "wired" differently. Conservatives tended to be insecure (which may account for their resistance to change or perhaps even their propensity to "cling to their guns and religion")."

"Insecurity". Thar she blows. A scary monster in every shadowy corner.

Can't own enough guns-n-ammo, 'cuz Obama's building secret "FEMA camps" and fixin' to roll out the tanks any day now. Look around you, just look at all of the scary people and you know "they" are out to get "us"!! Time to cowboy up and protect what's yours, pilgrim!

(This message brought to you by the NRA and the American Firearm Retailers Association, http://www.amfire.com/.)

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Part of the reason that CCW holders push for this type of thing, is BECAUSE they have great respect for the law and don't want to be breaking it.. So they want clarification of where and when they are legally carrying. When you're holstered and going about your business, you may inadvertently break the law several times a day.. If you're out with the family and enter a public park in Tenn, it MAY or MAY allow that carry.

A large fraction of carry permit holders HAVE been the victims of crime or have family members that have been affected. And the press purposely ignores the stories of self-defense and crime prevention that result from guns in the proper hands.

When you have such a virulent anti-gun political movement, the "slippery" slope is truly a problem. I saw that in California, where $5000 professional target shooting pistols were classified as "junk guns" because they were custom made and not "properly tested" by the manufacturers. I've seen Dianne Feinstein pointing the barrel of a sporting rifle at the press and claiming it was an "assault weapon". I've personally "baby-sat" a rifle for a friend in California BECAUSE he was a fool to register it and then the Calif. Assembly BANNED that brand and came to confiscate them.. I'm only a member of the NRA BECAUSE of the legislative threat, not because I own an armory or have any desire to do so.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Time to cowboy up and protect what's yours, pilgrim!

Dave
But wait!
Quote:
In 1967, the California Legislature passed and a Republican governor named Ronald Reagan signed the Mulford Act, which prohibited the carrying of loaded weapons in public places.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1NrJqBRX9
Quote:
The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill prohibiting the public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after assemblyman Don Mulford, the bill garnered national attention after the Black Panthers marched on the California Capitol to protest the bill. The bill was signed by California Governor Ronald Reagan and became California penal code 12031 and 171(c).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act
Quote:
Assemblyman Mulford, a Republican, served in the Assembly from 1957 to 1970 and helped write tougher fire safety and pollution laws.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-03-2...rr-uc-berkeley
Way too funny.

Carl
Old 05-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Area Man

That's right Carl.

Add to that the "Brady Bill" also championed by Ronald Reagan.

AFAIK, the only serious gun control law on the national level was signed by LBJ in 1968.

Oh, I know. The Clintons proposed the "Assault Rifle Ban" back in the '90s. Okay, fair enough.

But walk into a room full of rednecks and mention "gun control"----It's the donkey that gets the tail pinned on it, completely ignoring the repeated attempts successful and unsuccessful, of Saint Ronnie to enact GC regulation.

Why is that, do you suppose?

Dave