Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Banned

Advent Laureate at the Goodwill.

The blonde just called home from the Goodwill. They have a pair of Advent Laureate's. She says the boxes look in decent shape with undamaged grilles. All four woofers need a re-foam. $6.99 a box. She thought they were "pretty". I did a google and they are definitely "pretty".

But I have a basement full of speakers (including Advent large, smaller and 3's) and I decided to let it go. Am I nuts?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
The blonde just called home from the Goodwill. They have a pair of Advent Laureate's. She says the boxes look in decent shape with undamaged grilles. All four woofers need a re-foam. $6.99 a box. She thought they were "pretty". I did a google and they are definitely "pretty".

But I have a basement full of speakers (including Advent large, smaller and 3's) and I decided to let it go. Am I nuts?
You shoulda at least got two of them @14 bucks you cant go wrong.But I have a sneaking suspention they will be in your home by morning.like they say Resistance is futile.now get your ass down there and get them darn speeks.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 PM

Is it just me or does my spelling suck,in general.I just saw that,DAMN
Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
Is it just me or does my spelling suck,in general.I just saw that,DAMN
I can understand it.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post

I'm an enabler, don't ask me. You know what I'll say. The blonde likes 'em, 'nuff said.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Ready

one1, I read your post without noticing any errors.

Fix up the Advents, Ike, just as good as you can. You'll enjoy doing it, and you may find you like 'em better than something else you've got. If not, then you trade or sell or give them away. That's how the gear hobby works.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
one1, I read your post without noticing any errors.

Fix up the Advents, Ike, just as good as you can. You'll enjoy doing it, and you may find you like 'em better than something else you've got. If not, then you trade or sell or give them away. That's how the gear hobby works.
Well...I have an extensive list of speeks that I've fixed up already and can't seem to let go of...All three size old Advents, Fried A/2's, Paradigm 3SE Mini, Energy ESM-3's, Epicure Model 3's (one of my favorites, and of similar size and appearance as these Advents, see below from the Human Speakers page), and my prize find...for 100 bucks the Infinity Composition Prelude PFR's where I replaced all 12 surrounds in the lower and upper mids. They are spectacular.

And there are probably as many more pairs that I won't take the time or the space to list.

I also have the two pairs that haven't needed any work, the Totem Mani-2's and the Ohm Walsh 4's. I've managed to put together three complete systems for these two pairs and the Infinities between our two places.

And seven amps (mostly Quads and Carvers), and four preamps, and two integrateds, and two tuners (including a way cool SAE Mark VI with the scope and the nixie tubes), and five TT's, and various and sundry CD players, casette decks, and even an old 8-track player buried somewhere in the basement. So I'm thinkin' I may already be entrenched in the "hobby", eh?

But thanks Don...it's good feedback...since sometimes I'm convinced I'm a fucking wacked out hoarder. I assume most of you guys know about each other and all your gear from your activity over at AK...so now y'all have a feel for the level of my neurosis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epicure-3.jpg (37.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Ike Bana; 03-26-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Ready

Oh, you're fentrenched.

Now once you have a system for every room (and a couple extra), it's time for a driveway sale. After a point, the joy of acquisition requires corresponding outflow, unless you just groove on warehousing....

(Keep the Infinities.)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Oh, you're fentrenched.

Now once you have a system for every room (and a couple extra), it's time for a driveway sale. After a point, the joy of acquisition requires corresponding outflow, unless you just groove on warehousing....

(Keep the Infinities.)
I will definitely keep the Infinities.

But I still have this hoarder in reflection response when I think about the one's I didn't keep. The KEF-105's, the Linn Sara's, the B&W DM-7's, the little Dynaudio Contour 1.1's that put out an absolutely obscene amount of bottom for their size.

I think about all of these, and others, and I get this pain in my heart. What's wrong with me?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 03-26-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Ready

Nothing. I still shed a tear for some Infinity Qb's on occasion. Dang did those 'low-end' Infinities throw a soundfield....

But you can't have everything, and you can only listen to one system at a time. I make it a point to not get too attached. I do enjoy the getting more than the having.