Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 PM

What would your dream neighborhood look like?

Land use is probably the thing that I have ranted about the most.

Last weekend I joined my parents as they shopped for a vacation trailer. They are looking at private trailer home communities in rural areas -- i.e. summer only.

As we walked through such a community I noticed that it was essentially "my people." They were pickup truck drivers, hunters, frugal, public servants (the park prefers police/fire/EMS) etc. We stopped and talked to a couple as they were closing their trailer for the season. They said that they liked their park because they could ride their bikes, walk, and generally escape from urban congestion. They may have said rat race, I dunno.

In any event my mind raced as they spoke and I looked around for bumper stickers. They were typical pickup truck bumper stickers related to hunting, POWs, etc. I guessed the park as generally Republican voters.

Of course I wondered what possesses these people to buy more stuff, such as trailers, pickup trucks, tools, etc, and move further into the country, just to want peace, quiet, walking, and riding bikes? Why can't they simply, collectively, own less and have peace, quiet, walking, and bike riding at home?

I have also experienced this mental short-circuiting with an American co-worker when he experienced Germany for the first time. He told me that yes, it is pretty, and quiet, and peaceful. But he said that he could not live like that and could not articulate why.

Here is where my mind gets stuck. For those of us that have more, what can we do to sell people on the idea that it is OK to slow down and stay put. We can figure out how to go dirt biking, and snowmobiling and horseback riding, and fishing, without paving over more land and making it more difficult to dirt bike, snowmobile, horseback ride, fish, etc.

Whatever divides us is as narrow as the debate between living to work and working to live. That is where music lives and it seems that we want quieter music but are afraid to admit it.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post

Last weekend I joined my parents as they shopped for a vacation trailer. They are looking at private trailer home communities in rural areas -- i.e. summer only.

As we walked through such a community I noticed that it was essentially "my people." They were pickup truck drivers, hunters, frugal, public servants (the park prefers police/fire/EMS) etc. We stopped and talked to a couple as they were closing their trailer for the season. They said that they liked their park because they could ride their bikes, walk, and generally escape from urban congestion. They may have said rat race, I dunno.

In any event my mind raced as they spoke and I looked around for bumper stickers. They were typical pickup truck bumper stickers related to hunting, POWs, etc. I guessed the park as generally Republican voters.

Of course I wondered what possesses these people to buy more stuff, such as trailers, pickup trucks, tools, etc, and move further into the country, just to want peace, quiet, walking, and riding bikes? Why can't they simply, collectively, own less and have peace, quiet, walking, and bike riding at home?

I have also experienced this mental short-circuiting with an American co-worker when he experienced Germany for the first time. He told me that yes, it is pretty, and quiet, and peaceful. But he said that he could not live like that and could not articulate why.

Here is where my mind gets stuck. For those of us that have more, what can we do to sell people on the idea that it is OK to slow down and stay put. We can figure out how to go dirt biking, and snowmobiling and horseback riding, and fishing, without paving over more land and making it more difficult to dirt bike, snowmobile, horseback ride, fish, etc.

Whatever divides us is as narrow as the debate between living to work and working to live. That is where music lives and it seems that we want quieter music but are afraid to admit it.
What exactly is your question?
Old 10-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Area Man

I want to live in a community encircled by high walls, razor wire, mine fields, helicopters, nuclear bombs and armed guard towers. Where everyone is required to be heavily armed and well trained in firearm and hand-to-hand combat tactics.

Because we are brave and have no fear of the outside world.

Where a central committee of "Freedom Loving Patriots" decides what's pure and amenable to "traditional American family values.".

Because we hate being told how to live.

And this central committee of "Freedom Loving Patriots" also has the power to decide who gets to leave this prurient and utopian compound and for how long, following their briefing on the filth and evils of the world of the damned that exists outside.

Because we love Liberty above all else.

Where the freedom to exercise ones religious beliefs are paramount.......so long as your not a Muslim, Atheist, Jew, Buddhist, Agnostic, Hindu, Catholic, Secularist or any of those other non-Christian or Papist abominations.

Because religious liberty is the most important of all.

Where every citizen is totally free to work as cheaply as possible and ashamed to expect anything at all resembling the horrid "living wage" or "benefits" from their employers.........

For we all know that such things are "Communism". Besides; The working poor love poverty and lack ambition anyhow.

Where foreigners are always welcome so long as they speak English exclusively, forget where they came from and rapidly assimilate into the borg according to tenets set forth by the Central Committee of Freedom Loving True Patriots.

Because who doesn't know that Americans would NEVR be so arrogant as to assume that other cultures are inferior?

A place where there is no such thing as a "homosexual" or "lesbian", because effeminate boys and Tom Girls just seem to disappear into the "outlands"......"Well, they wouldn't have been comfortable in here anyways.".

Because we hate the sin, but love the sinner.

Ahhhh, yes! Life in Freedom Loving right-wing Paradise at last.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-16-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post

As we walked through such a community I noticed that it was essentially "my people." They were pickup truck drivers, hunters, frugal, public servants (the park prefers police/fire/EMS) etc.
These summer parks are an ad-hoc form of 'intentional community,' it would seem. That's the real point--having a place where it's 'your kind of people,' and ONLY your kind of people.

There was one summer--I was 18 or 19--when a friend and I hung with some young guys who were part of such a community in Northern Indiana--about 60 miles or so from Chicago. The residents were white folks, many from the far south side of Chicago. There was block-busting going on in those days, and the guys had stories of violently 'defending' their Chicago neighborhood against same.

The stories were surely bragging and BS, except for whatever part wasn't. But I'm more than certain what would have happened if some folks had tried to 'integrate' the campground....

Last edited by donquixote99; 10-16-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
These summer parks are an ad-hoc form of 'intentional community,' it would seem. That's the real point--having a place where it's 'your kind of people,' and ONLY your kind of people.

There was one summer--I was 18 or 19--when a friend and I hung with some young guys who were part of such a community in Northern Indiana--about 60 miles or so from Chicago. The residents were white folks, many from the far south side of Chicago. There was block-busting going on in those days, and the guys had stories of violently 'defending' their Chicago neighborhood against same.

The stories were surely bragging and BS, except for whatever part wasn't. But I'm more than certain what would have happened if some folks had tried to 'integrate' the campground....
Oh, no Don. Those neighborhoods weren't abandoned because white folks refused to live with "negroes" in their close proximity. NO! Why that would be racist and Lord knows we are not racist and never have been! The unions, the tree huggers and the gays forced them out. Didn't you get the memo?
Old 10-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Persona non grata

"I don't know. Somewhere further south, somewhere where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players."

Sonny Crockett
Old 10-17-2015, 03:25 PM
reflexionar

Not sure what my dream neighborhood would look like. I am looking at property in central Oregon right now. Thinking of selling the place in Vancouver and moving over to the outskirts of Bend somewhere. A couple acres would be nice.

This is my fondest memory of places I grew up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.6837...!7i3328!8i1664
Old 10-17-2015, 03:48 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Almost anywhere that my closest neighbors are at least a mile away. Near the southern coast would be nice.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Lake Tahoe is my dream area to live in.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Lake Tahoe is my dream area to live in.
Now you're talkin!