Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
one thing ,what do you think of television as a whole. the ad's the programming the whole general idea.i cannot watch television without being skeptical and judgmental.advertising or programming.most of the documentary's are sometimes full of false information. and the reality shows is it just entertainment or do people try to be and live like what they watch.and from a previous reply,,i have nothing against the social media,it all has it's good points.what we do here is part of the social revolution going on.when computers first started showing up in the early '90's a friend said that they were the devils tools to trap men and i thought that too,but look at me now i have embraced the digital age whole heartily.
I think it becomes implicitly clear to most who grow up watching TV that 1) the advertising (that is, the money) is the important part, and 2) it's OK to mislead, lie, prey on fears and weakness, or anything else, for money.

TY, Pete.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's so different watching tv as an adult. We can see that it's funny, or whatever, but kids see it as normal.

Advertising is out of control. I recently saw a skittles commercial, they've been doing 'Taste the Rainbow' to get the young kids, now they're showing a young girl kissing a young boy to get the skittles out of his mouth, accompanied by 'French the Rainbow'. Very classy.

Pete
Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Ready

Wow. Linking kid sugar-seeking with adolescent sexual awakening. My initial feeling is that verges on perverse.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It's so different watching tv as an adult. We can see that it's funny, or whatever, but kids see it as normal.

Advertising is out of control. I recently saw a skittles commercial, they've been doing 'Taste the Rainbow' to get the young kids, now they're showing a young girl kissing a young boy to get the skittles out of his mouth, accompanied by 'French the Rainbow'. Very classy.

Pete
I recall when those little cars came out years back, they showed one doint a loop the loop in the TV ads. We bought one for our son (he just turned 48 so it was over 40 years back).

Well there was simply no way the average little car the sold would do the loop. When I explined to him the manufacturer had likely tweake the car to make it do the loop I don't think he ever believed another commercial.

What was it they said on Madison Avenue "Let's get down on all fours and look at things from the consumer's viewpoint"

AH I just remembered they were called Hot Wheels. Not bad considering I am 26 days shy of 83.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Resident octogenarian

But Pete why can't we have State powers and Federal Powers and some co-ordination and cooperation?

Canada has Provincial powers and Federal powers but they are not always fighting each other.

Far out WaPo printed my letter, ought to make the day for my Republican neighbours.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I loved Hot Wheels once upon a time

We did have co-ordination and cooperation at one time, the States ceded power to the Feds, narrow power but masters in their sphere. How often have sovereign States given up power voluntarily throughout history? It's pretty amazing.

But step by step, inch by inch, ruling by ruling, the Feds have definitely grown a lot.

Pete
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Cleon I answer to Rob or Robert but I guess my Florence is the only that uses my full name.

I was in a pretty rotten frame of mind some thirty one years ago, I was 52 recently divorced and if my doctor had said I only had two months to live I probably would have thanked him.

Then while here on a business trip in February 11 & 12 -1983 I was trapped in a hotel lobby by that east coast blizzard. There was a lovely dark eyed lady trapped there as well. She seemed very nervous so I offered her my protection. We conversed most of the night then exchanged addresses to be pen pals.

Many many letters later across 500 miles I asked her to marry me and she accepted me. The intervening blissfull thirty years are all the reality show we need, we watch TV to be entertained or informed They can keep their reality, as for advertising I have always assumed that is what they put the MUTE button on the remote for.
Rob, that is nice how you met your wife,me and my sweetheart worked together in a diner and we could not stand to be around each other well that was my feelings.she told me she knew she was going to marry me.well one of my rules of life back then,almost thirty years ago was i would never marry.i was a confirmed bachelor womanizer.one day i was sitting at a red light and my wife Cheri was crossing the street and i had ,what i call divine intervention,she just came into my life full force,that is one of the reasons i know that God is real.that is the only way to explain what happened.romance is a dying art today but for the most part it is alive and well i see it all the time in young people i am around.

my wife is a crime story and shoot em up t.v junkie me i like the car shows with classic cars.and some of the crazier documentary's too just for entertainment.but there are lots of people in this world that take some of these shows as gospel.and that is dangerous. a lot do not know it is entertainment.

i remember when i saw 2 guy's kiss on one of the reality shows it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.but that is the society we have made.i know that America stands for freedom and free speech and art forms but i wish i had known that was going to happen i would have switched channels.i have been around lot's of people that are gay and it is not any of my concern as long as no one pushes their lifestyle on me.and i don't push mine on them.

i do not know if i am right or wrong. but that is just the way i see it.you just have to have thick skin in order to deal with some things.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I loved Hot Wheels once upon a time

We did have co-ordination and cooperation at one time, the States ceded power to the Feds, narrow power but masters in their sphere. How often have sovereign States given up power voluntarily throughout history? It's pretty amazing.

But step by step, inch by inch, ruling by ruling, the Feds have definitely grown a lot.

Pete
hi Pete, i think a lot has to do with the bi-partisan stance.and one side thinking that the only way is there way.some how some way i think republicans and democrats need to take a deep breath and get back to running this country for the benefit of all.i think it is embarrassing how they scrabble over anything.and yes the fed has come a long way but i think it should reflect in a positives way.

yes i too love hot wheels i stil have a nice collection but i am starting to liquidate some,,you cant hold on to the past forever i guess.just knowing i had them and documented with photos.is good enogh

Last edited by one1; 11-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Area Man

Love your avatar.

Unfortunately, many Americans seem to hate leaders, preferring "leaders" who do as they are told. So, is it any surprise things are as they are? How does one lead, with 300 million people demanding you do as they tell you, each one telling you something different? This is why we are a democracy. Unanimous consent is nearly impossible. So, we default to majority rule. However, this too appears to have broken down.

Dave
Old 11-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Pete
I saw that...it made me throw up a little in my mouth......