Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Not you specifically but the left overall.

How do we handle quasi-personhood, and as always the question - who decides?

Pete
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Not you specifically but the left overall.

How do we handle quasi-personhood, and as always the question - who decides?

Pete
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

"and to petition the government . . ." This presumably applies to the people so use any dictionary you want and look up "people", it would take a hell of a reach to define Exxon-Mobil as a people. or even several people.

Read a bit further " . . .for a redress of grievances." - to have a grievance something must have been done, i.e., redress is a post facto function, this does not mean that "people" get to seek redress until something has been done by the governmant. Exxon Mobil and Enron got invited into Prince Dickie's office to write the last energy bill.

In conclusion a $100 bill is not a petition despite what K Street and the Supremes would have us believe. It is a sad day when even our Supreme Court Justices do not comprehend the English language.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

What about collective bargaining then?

Pete
Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
What about collective bargaining then?

Pete
It is allowed under the labor laws. This "activist" court wrote a law allowing corporations citizenship. I was under the impression that you right winggers abhor an activist court, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Area Man

'the right of the people to peaceably assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievences."--Collectivism. Which, you might say "Well, if it's good for the unions." to which I will respond, "If it's good for the corps, then why is it bad for the worker?"

But, before you go there, the corporations, even without "personhood", have the where-with-all to hire lobbyists and "buy" politicians, always have. Without collective bargaining, I do not. The idea of corporate personhood is to further cripple the ability of the common man to seek redress while strengthening the influence of business over government under the (foolish) assumption that "What's good for the mine is good for the miner.".

Give the boss whatever he wants, and he'll take good care of his serfs?

Well, maybe in some cases....................

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The reason I mentioned collectivism is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander....

Pete
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
The reason I mentioned collectivism is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander....

Pete
Collective bargaining is allowed or protected by labor laws passed by Congress. Congress passed no law permitting or protecting collective action by corporations, In fact Congress has done the opposite in passing laws against restraint of trade, etc.

As an example of why workers need bargaining power, I once asked our company lawyer if I could sue an auto manufacturer regarding a defect. His answer was "Sure you can, you can also waltz with a grizzly bear but I don't recommend either."

Last edited by merrylander; 09-23-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
Except the folks at the bottom, (us), are being stripped of our collective power. While those at the top are being granted ever-more power. It's not where we are that bothers me so much as it is where we are headed.

The "backroom deals" that we decry are being moved to legitimacy. It used to be you had to guess who owns which politician.

Soon you will see corporate endorsements of politicians on t.v. commercials;

"President_____ brought to you by Exxon Mobil, because high gas prices are good for America!"

"Clean Air and Water? Screw that. Your job is more important. Vote for _____ this November. (This message brought to you by the God Fearing Americans at U.S. Steel.)"

"You are all grossly overpaid and always will be no matter how low the wages. Put ____in the Whitehouse and we will fix that. (This Message paid for by the National Right to Work Association.)"

I know, these examples are a bit extreme. Just my sense of humor kicking in.

But, seriously...

Dave

Dave
Old 09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Pete

Had to reread your post, though you said colecovision.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Resident octogenarian

Not really extreme.