Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Admin

Government Shutdown?

'Red-state Democrats flirt with a brief government shutdown over coal miners’ health care' WaPo

"Red-state Democrats up for reelection in 2018 are forcing the standoff over the year-end spending bill to keep the government open — insisting on****health-care benefits for retired coal miners and requiring the use of****American steel in infrastructure projects.
If the spending bill does not pass by midnight Friday, the government is expected to shut down until the clock runs out****on Democratic procedural maneuvers to keep it closed.
The fight is the first sign of an emerging strategy for Democrats who are looking to force their Republican counterparts to respond to Trump’s campaign promises. Forcing the coal-country fight****into the government spending debate allows Democrats to publicly shame Republicans****— although it’s unclear where Trump stands on the measure."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5f85a3bd9b31

I guess we're going to see how much the Republicans in Congress are really behind Hair Twitler and his bloviating promises to coal country citizens and those steel makers.

Grab some popcorn boys and ladies.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
'Red-state Democrats flirt with a brief government shutdown over coal miners’ health care' WaPo

"Red-state Democrats up for reelection in 2018 are forcing the standoff over the year-end spending bill to keep the government open — insisting on****health-care benefits for retired coal miners and requiring the use of****American steel in infrastructure projects.
If the spending bill does not pass by midnight Friday, the government is expected to shut down until the clock runs out****on Democratic procedural maneuvers to keep it closed.
The fight is the first sign of an emerging strategy for Democrats who are looking to force their Republican counterparts to respond to Trump’s campaign promises. Forcing the coal-country fight****into the government spending debate allows Democrats to publicly shame Republicans****— although it’s unclear where Trump stands on the measure."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5f85a3bd9b31

I guess we're going to see how much the Republicans in Congress are really behind Hair Twitler and his bloviating promises to coal country citizens and those steel makers.

Grab some popcorn boys and ladies.
If Trump follows through on this populist promises he's going to meet plenty of resistance from Republicans in congress and also the corporate Democrats. If he is successful on even half of them he will make a pretty decent President and you and your fellow Hillarybots will end up with egg on your faces. But then, that will be nothing new for you will it Bob?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Interesting maneuver by Schumer and Co. We'll see where it goes - the first shot at Democratic resistance efforts. Kabuki theater.

Government employees like shutdowns. They get to stay home and get paid retroactively.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Ready

I expect the theater to be weirder than ever--the Republicans will be corporatist, but they and Trump will all be acting in populist masks.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 PM

The miners have been mistreated all along and will get little help now. Anything the Dems can and do will be to little to late.
Trump will hold his pep rallies and call all those ALL who oppose unpatriotic! Nothing new here except the country involved.

Barney
Old 12-09-2016, 08:09 PM

VA hospital government workers do not enjoy government shutdowns. As critical workers, they do not get time off, they work. They work for free until the govt. refunds the department, and THEN they get paid. Makes things interesting just before Christmas, but this Kabuki theater is a necessary showdown.

Last edited by sheltiedave; 12-09-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Admin

'Senate approves spending bill minutes before deadline, averting government shutdown' WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.234f74a178f1
Old 12-10-2016, 12:30 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Interesting maneuver by Schumer and Co. We'll see where it goes - the first shot at Democratic resistance efforts. Kabuki theater.
The Democratic Party is dead.

They abandoned the working class, they abandoned their base and they are controlled by corporate whores.

The revolution will come from somewhere else.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

They abandoned the working class, they abandoned their base and they are controlled by corporate whores.

Not dead, although they yielded too much to the internationalists.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

Go with the lie propagated by the GOP so wanting to believe anything negative about the Dems. The Left never abandoned anybody, just refused to lie to them, telling the coal miners the jobs are gone, time to retrain. Same with steel, time to move into renewable energy conservation. Issues and concepts hard to accomplish let along put into a thirty second ad effectively.

Six months from now the Dems will look pretty good after SS Medicare Post Office National Parks ect.... have been looted I mean Privatized! Work rules changed to the determent thus harming employees greatly.

Barney