Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Area Man

"So we should sit back and be raped?"

That's the plan, Rob.

You see;

It's our Patriotic duty to see that the wealthy are very well taken care of, their every whim and desire catered to and their assholes properly licked clean. American workers compensation should be brought in line with the average Guatemalan, so that the "playing field" will at long last be level.

And we will do this voluntarily, because we're "Great Americans" who realize it's just the natural order of things for the rich to shit on the rest of us.
They should have a totally free hand to decide totally on their own how much of their table scraps each one of us is worth. Without any pesky annoyances to get in the way, like the minimum wages, collective bargaining and all of that nonsense.

How dare us, the bad, evil, naughty and lackadaisical American workers, how dare we expect to have a voice and a way to stand up for ourselves? They never do anything sneaky or underhanded. They can't, because everybody knows the bosses are angelic beings, sent by the Almighty himself to bestow providence upon us! They do it out of love, caring and divine inspiration, Rob. And we should be proud to serve them humbly and, of course, as cheaply as possible.

And Hey, who knows? If you're a really good dog, fetch his slippers, and refrain from soiling his Persian rugs with your bodily excretions, the bastard might even buy you a beer with the money he's made off of your labor..............

Dave
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

Its really funny Dave, Pete talks about bennies as if American workers get excessive holidays. For the last three or four years before I left Bell I was getting 6 weeks paid vacation each year and was able to bank what I could not use. When I retired I was actually on vacation for two and a half months before my pension kicked in.

Here you are lucky to get two weeks and are expected to tug the forelock and say thankee master. Americans have got to have the worst labour practices of any industrialized nation, and even with such lousy deals the masters still ship the jobs off-shore because they say the workers want too much. Sure, but it is OK to pay the CEO $20,000,000 a year - for what?

One of the things that really impressed me about all the companies I worked for down here was just how effing stupid the inhabitants of Mahogany Row could be. Maybe it is the quarterly reporting thing, but their view of the future barely sees as far as the end of next week.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I wonder why the big 3 are the medium 2.
Attached Images
File Type: gif wm2135_chart1.gif (31.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Area Man

You're absolutely right, Pete. We Americans at the bottom need to make more sacrifices so the handfull at the top can finally find happiness. As if such a thing is even possible.

The only thing I see in your chart is that the others are undercompensated.

One little project for ya. Compare the compensation of top execs at GM, Ford, and Chrysler compared to those at the foreign companies. But, I'm sure THAT'S completely justified.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-29-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I understand, but it's a bit like foreign policy - we can't just do what we want or expect everyone else to do what we think.

If we raise everyone from $26 to $75 an hour we might as well shoot ourselves. I think we should place more emphasis on the trades, teach kids how to make/fix stuff again, maybe our brains will stop leaking out our ears

Pete
Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I wonder why the big 3 are the medium 2.
That $70.00 per hour myth has been completely debunked.

http://www.uaw.org/auto/11_25_08auto2.cfm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4630103.shtml

John
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That is the COST OF LABOR, very simple - Cost of workers divided by number of workers.

No debunking, just lack of business understanding. It's the reality that the folks who run those companies have to deal with.

Pete
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
That is the COST OF LABOR, very simple - Cost of workers divided by number of workers.

No debunking, just lack of business understanding. It's the reality that the folks who run those companies have to deal with.

Pete

Perhaps you can tell us why the 'cost' for the big three is always compared to the 'hourly rate' for the Japanese? Can you say apples and oranges?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's not Rob, look at the chart.

Btw, I forget, I've argued online before and I assume (yeah, I know ) that I've said things here too.

That last contract was the UAWs last hurrah. I've got two friends with the UAW, well one now since Chryslers' hit the skids, have many other friends (and family!) that supply the auto industry, and I buy UAW (or our brother CAW ) built cars.

So I guess you could say I'm really arguing about how the big 3 got here. Every day that passes the 2 are in better shape and Toyota et al must know it.

I believe the American worker can take on any other head to head. It's all about productivity. We'll survive

Pete
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Pete
Did you read any of the links? The figure comes from compensation and benefits paid to all current wage earners plus pension and medical benefits paid to all retirees and their heirs. Then they divide the total by the number of current wage earners, leaving out the retirees.

There's only a couple of bucks difference between the wages and benefits of Big Three workers and those at the non-union foreign manufacturers. The big difference in the numbers comes from the fact that the foreign companies haven't been operating here very long so they don't have nearly as many retirees on their books.

John