Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
At that age I was unaware of the "Dixie" mythology. I did not learn about that until much later, maybe age 25.

Some defiance I have, no doubt about that. But it exists in my chemistry, not in American history.
I should have been clearer, I suppose, but I didn't mean to suggest that the Dixie mythology is what informed your response. I only meant that your decision and the tune you were told to whistle struck me as somehow congruent.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I should have been clearer, I suppose, but I didn't mean to suggest that the Dixie mythology is what informed your response. I only meant that your decision and the tune you were told to whistle struck me as somehow congruent.
Understood.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Dondilion,

I agree. As I recall, reading comprehension was a big part of my fear. The piece that I was asked to read was fiction. At that age my mind was still rooted in fact. I loved airplanes and would have read pages of facts about them with enthusiasm. But fiction was out of my scope of comprehension.

Shortly after that event, maybe even with the same teacher, I recall reading my first fiction book and understanding it. The teacher sat with me and explained the Newberry Award? for children's fiction, and the book was an award winner. What struck a chord with me in the book was the characters voices were written with dialect -- they were spelled wrong. The dialects helped me "hear" the characters and visualize them. That was an interesting learning experience.

As an exercise in what words mean:

Suppose that everyone spoke like the people on the six o'clock news. What then could the word "character" be whittled down to? Dress? Skin color? Musculature? etc.

I can only remember so many facts about a character when I read. But when I hear a voice I generally know right away who it is. There is name for that science.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:52 PM

Visualization.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Ready

Quote:
As an exercise in what words mean:

Suppose that everyone spoke like the people on the six o'clock news. What then could the word "character" be whittled down to? Dress? Skin color? Musculature? etc.

I can only remember so many facts about a character when I read. But when I hear a voice I generally know right away who it is. There is name for that science.
Whatever it's called, it's a good example of how most of our brainpower is devoted to unconscious processing. Your conscious mind does not know anything about the particular aural cues that are detected in your brain and matched up with memory to establish an individual identity. It just gets the result.