Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Mike, Pat,

That is the real point, we need to lose this irrational fear. We kill more people in a year texting while driving than the terrorists have, should we have a war on texters?

Declaring war elevates them above the common criminals that they are, that they do not deserve. Perhaps my solution sounded brutal, is it any more brutal than the twin towers? Were all the people in there guilty? As you wrote, war sucks (Glad you are safe home and I hope the scars are not too deep). We did not ask for 9/11, hey maybe some oil companies did bad things over there, the world trade center is not Exxon HQ AFAIK.

So you know where I am coming from it is quite simple, I mind my own business, try to help those less fortunate, and lead a quiet retirement.

However as I told one man "If you mess with me you will live to regret it one day. If you mess with my wife, you may live to regret it, much depends on what sort of mood I am in." Way back Florence was managing a large dress shop, working up to 120 hour weeks.
One day after we were married, she asked me what I thought about her job, I told her to tell the Regional Manager shove it, so she quit. Well this a**hole manager started bad mouthing her publically (her employees loved her and kept us informed) and to make a long story short, he was demoted, had to sell the house he just bought because they moved him out of the territory. All I had offered to do was horsewhip him at high noon in the mall. The threat of legal action (he was an employee of the company) may have had summat to do with it.

So I have no feelings of kindness toward these people who harmed us for no real reason, only their warped minds. The women are just as bad, they hide quite a lot of explosive under those burkas, and they raise the children with this same warped outlook. Innocents? I hardly think so.

I lived through WW II, the so called police action in Korea and watched Vietnam from Canada as I did not come here until 1984. I have never visited the Memorial as they probably would not like to see a grown man cry, as far as my heart tells me they were all my sons and daughters. I can't watch the NewsHour when the show tha faces of the fallen without tears, Dear God, many of them had not even had a chance to live, still in their teens. I am supposed to forgive those that are responsible? I don't think so, forgive me Lord but that asks too much.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Loyal Opposition

Rob, I wish you would tell us what you really think.

Mike, I think I am going to enjoy reading your contributions to this board. I think it is a much wiser man who understands that he does not know the answers than a man who deceives himself, and tries to deceive others by claiming that he has all the answers.

I have often wondered how difficult it is for a man of conscience to be involved in a war. It is clear that you think about the issues presented and do your best to make sense of ugly situations.

BTW, you have a great signature. Although several years of haze stand between now and the last time I read Aristotle, I remember some thought by him about being forced to be free. Only by educating ourselves and being able to understand the world around us, can we be fully free. Have a good day.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

We kill more people in a year texting while driving than the terrorists have, should we have a war on texters?
yes, this is way more serious than drunk driving yet we do nothing to combat it
Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Rob, I wish you would tell us what you really think.

Mike, I think I am going to enjoy reading your contributions to this board. I think it is a much wiser man who understands that he does not know the answers than a man who deceives himself, and tries to deceive others by claiming that he has all the answers.

I have often wondered how difficult it is for a man of conscience to be involved in a war. It is clear that you think about the issues presented and do your best to make sense of ugly situations.

I thought I had.

Yeah, I don't have all the answers either but having been around for near 80 years I have seen what works and what does not work, so that should count for summat.

As noted before Mike, welcome to the funny farm, hope you stick around.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

As noted before Mike, welcome to the funny farm, hope you stick around.
Yeah, I'll probably stick around for a while. I like discussing controversial subjects with folks who are willing to keep a civil tone, especially when there is disagreement. It's about broadening one's horizons and learning to think for one's self. Wisdom is garnered by listening; and I want wisdom, ya know what I mean?
Besides, I posted something over on AudioKarma and it was politely removed. I was referred here, so here I am.
So, thanks for the welcome.
Mike
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM

I don't pretend to be a military strategist. But lets look at recent events and see what we can learn from our actions and their results. We've been messing with Bin Laden for years. I'm busy today so can't do my typical research, so please bear with me. I don't know the specific attacks, but he's been at it for a while. We've always responded in some manner with cruise missles or what have you.

Result: It didn't take care of Bin Laden. He can still attack us.

More recently we started two full on wars.

Result: It didn't take care of Bin Laden. He can still attack us. It has cost us more lives than he has taken through his attacks and more money than I can wrap my head around. It has divided our country and even lead to patriotic Americans being called un-American.

On the whole, it seems our current approach approach seems to be doing Bin Laden's work for him.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
I don't pretend to be a military strategist. But lets look at recent events and see what we can learn from our actions and their results. We've been messing with Bin Laden for years. I'm busy today so can't do my typical research, so please bear with me. I don't know the specific attacks, but he's been at it for a while. We've always responded in some manner with cruise missles or what have you.

Result: It didn't take care of Bin Laden. He can still attack us.

More recently we started two full on wars.

Result: It didn't take care of Bin Laden. He can still attack us. It has cost us more lives than he has taken through his attacks and more money than I can wrap my head around. It has divided our country and even lead to patriotic Americans being called un-American.

On the whole, it seems our current approach approach seems to be doing Bin Laden's work for him.
BINGO!