Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
I don't know, but I am really starting to think that the US economy is not fixable anymore.The corruption and greed has taken a hold of all of US aspects of the US citizenry to such an extant that any meaningful discussions will not take place to correct things. Just look at the negative discussions around health care. Having all of your citizens healthy and able to contribute to your country is an obvious GOOD THING, but those discussions turned so ugly it just beggared belief.
So, how are you going to make the real hard decisions that will be needed to turn the country around? For instance, the manufacturing base of American needs to be restored. People have to start being willing to pay more to purchase US made goods, and pay much more if needed, to kill the huge trade deficits. The trade deficits are a huge cut to the jugular of the United States, and real wealth is just pouring out of the country. There will be no economic recovery until the trade deficits are corrected. But who will tell Americans they need to stop buying Japanese cars right now or purchasing Chinese DVD players at Wal-Mart for $39? Who will tell the corporations that they have to stop exporting jobs and closing down plants in the US and take the $.05 per share hit of the bottom line?
To be honest, it looks like something worse than the depression is going to be needed to turn America around. And from what I see, the worse is still ahead of you guys....
I agree with you on all but the health care, just the thought of the government running anything else just doesn't sit well with alot of us folks. They have their hands in enough as it is. Can't forget all those loans they told banks to lend folks with no money down, and nothing to show for. Alot of those folks couldn't afford those loans the day they took them out, but the good ole government thought folks needed a fair chance to own. It backfired on down the road though, and look who gets to pay back the bailout money.Again, no loss to the government, only to the poor ole taxpayers for many years to come.

I agree, we should be buying US automobiles, and I've owned upto that my whole life by driving GM,Ford,and Mopar over the years, and still do. I won't be buying another from any of the big three for years to come though, mine'll run for probly two more decades with the parts I've collected knowing sooner or later they'd get hard to come by. I frowned on cash for clunkers, but had to giggle a bit in anger as I wondered how long the temporary spikes in sales is going to hold them now that cash for clunkers is dead and many folks are still shit outta luck lookin' for work, or worried they will be and won't buy a new car.

Things from that place they call Wally-World? Again, I agree that folks need to buy American, even if it cost more at the checkout. Only problem is, what can we buy that is still American other than a street whore offering a one night stand? I remember when ole Sam was alive, Wal-Mart was always glad to offer ''Made In America'' products and had signs asking folks to buy American. But ole Sam died a good ole soul and his survivors let his stores go strait to hell afterwards. I still enjoy 30 year old audio gear, and wouldn't buy a damn thing new these days. Well, I can still buy new gear that ain't made in China, but I'm way to poor for the price I'd have to pay, so I have no problem enjoying the old ''built to last'' gear that the public could afford to buy new then. I bought three brand new DVD players a few years ago, but only because I went through two of them in less than a year from Wally World and the third lasted a whole six movies and started freezing up so I said the hell with it and ain't bought a single DVD or worried about watching DVD movies again in the last couple years. Odly enough though, our 'old' VCR still works flawlessly, but I don't see new movies for sale for them so still, I don't watch new movies til they old enough to be seen on the regular tube.

I feel like Microsoft is a money circle also. Look at all the folks that have bought new PC's over the years and before they knew it, MS threw a new OS out there and stop supporting the old. MS is still doing it, exept so many folks raised hell about it, that MS decided to keep supporting XP a while longer rather than stop supporting it as planned in June 08. Vista is a resorce hog and alot of folks still have machines that'll last for years to come but can't run the new bloated OS. MS knows that too, and again, folks'll have to go out and buy a more powerfull machine. Why should old folks have to do that if they only need a PC to check email once a week? I feel their old windows 98 should be good enough, but no, MS is greedy and expects folks to keep on buyin' ... and never mind that alot of elderly are on fixed incomes and get a needed lift when chey check email and see an email & pict of the grandkids that may live halfway cross the country that they may only get lucky enough to see twice in person before their time on earth is through.

Last edited by hillbilly; 09-12-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Resident octogenarian

Reading about the demonstrations down the road yesterday and maybe I was wrong. I am starting to believe that they should not have done any bailouts and they should forget about healthcare.

Figure that by now unemployment would be arouns 25% or more. The lumberyards would be so badly in need of business that the wood to redo our deck would be dirt cheap. Able bodied men would be only too happy to get some money that that they would work for $5.00 per hour.

After all we have health care insurance, I am retired so screw the labor market. Yeah, I should adopt the Jack System "Screw you Jack, I've got mine"
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 PM

As bad as bailing out the banks was, I suppose it was necessary to prevent a collapse of the financial markets. It's not that the bailout was rotten, it's the financial markets, and the Federal Reserve system that are rotten. As to the stimulus pkg, it could have been better thought out.

Personally, I enjoy seeing people turn out to these tea parties and town halls. It shows that the public is finally taking an interest in politics. And are expecting our elected officials to look after the interests of the citizens, as opposed to the interests of the deep pockets who have put, and kept them in office.

But in the end, I doubt whether anything will improve our lot. I'll continue to turn out and vote for the perceived lesser of two evils, and pray that they don't start another civil war before I'm dead. Kind of a selfish attitude, but then again, why should I be any different than anyone else.

Other than I won't screw you simply because I can.

Chas
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Quote:
As bad as bailing out the banks was, I suppose it was necessary to prevent a collapse of the financial markets. It's not that the bailout was rotten, it's the financial markets, and the Federal Reserve system that are rotten. As to the stimulus pkg, it could have been better thought out.

As is eerily becoming the case I am in total agreement.

Quote:
Personally, I enjoy seeing people turn out to these tea parties and town halls. It shows that the public is finally taking an interest in politics. And are expecting our elected officials to look after the interests of the citizens, as opposed to the interests of the deep pockets who have put, and kept them in office.

I see a bunch of people being lead around by the nose.

Quote:
But in the end, I doubt whether anything will improve our lot. I'll continue to turn out and vote for the perceived lesser of two evils, and pray that they don't start another civil war before I'm dead. Kind of a selfish attitude, but then again, why should I be any different than anyone else.

Other than I won't screw you simply because I can.

Chas
Same here.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Reading about the demonstrations down the road yesterday and maybe I was wrong. I am starting to believe that they should not have done any bailouts and they should forget about healthcare.
I am in favorer of national health care but this is just not how to do it.

I do not support Obama on this.

(and I detest the right for twisting, lying and undermining what they know is best for the people that elected hem)
Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
I agree with you on all but the health care, just the thought of the government running anything else just doesn't sit well with alot of us folks. .

Please tell me what is wrong with Medicare.

I think everyone should live one year in 1900 before they champion themselves a proud capitalist who is against progressive government.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Tea Parties hoho, the original was kind of staged as well. The colonies asked the mother country for troops to put down the Indian raids on the western front. The mother country sent the troops and also sent the bill in the form of the tea tax, after all why should the citizens of England pick up the tab? The fact that the tax was also to help out the East India company, and General Cornwallis was an incompetent bumbler did not really affect the outcome.

It is much the same today, people say the government is incompetent, then for Heaven's sake don't vote for them. If you want to know what the problem is look in a mirror. Lou Dobbs favorite expression is that both parties are wings of the same bird. Then start a new party, some of you like Ron Paul (too simplistic for my taste) some people did vote for Ralph Nader and the Green party. The whole concept of a two party system seems entrenched in this country. Keep going down that road and you will never see any improvement. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

What were the lyrics - "Freedom is just another name for nothing more to lose." Like it or not people need each other, it is called society, and no, screwing each other is not the way to achieve it.

Some folks like to believe that this is a Christian nation, well apparently this form of Christianity only has nine commandments.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Tea Parties hoho, the original was kind of staged as well. The colonies asked the mother country for troops to put down the Indian raids on the western front. The mother country sent the troops and also sent the bill in the form of the tea tax, after all why should the citizens of England pick up the tab? The fact that the tax was also to help out the East India company, and General Cornwallis was an incompetent bumbler did not really affect the outcome.

It is much the same today, people say the government is incompetent, then for Heaven's sake don't vote for them. If you want to know what the problem is look in a mirror. Lou Dobbs favorite expression is that both parties are wings of the same bird. Then start a new party, some of you like Ron Paul (too simplistic for my taste) some people did vote for Ralph Nader and the Green party. The whole concept of a two party system seems entrenched in this country. Keep going down that road and you will never see any improvement. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

What were the lyrics - "Freedom is just another name for nothing more to lose." Like it or not people need each other, it is called society, and no, screwing each other is not the way to achieve it.

Some folks like to believe that this is a Christian nation, well apparently this form of Christianity only has nine commandments.
Fine post, Rob.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I am in favorer of national health care but this is just not how to do it.

I do not support Obama on this.

(and I detest the right for twisting, lying and undermining what they know is best for the people that elected hem)
What is wrong with how he is doing it?

Other than the fact that he is keeping too much of the free market in an area where there is a HUGE conflict of interest between the insurance providers and their customers?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Please tell me what is wrong with Medicare.
Other than the fact that it will be broke before I get there, eventhough I and my employers have been paying in based on "MY" income, nothing! Wait a minute, it does not work well without supplements, so like many things the gov't manages it is a half a** solution that makes a great issue to promote when you are looking for the backing of the AARP.

Quote:
I think everyone should live one year in 1900 before they champion themselves a proud capitalist who is against progressive government.
They might also learn to be self reliant, responsible for themselves and family and be productive, now there is a scary thought.