Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM

WikiLeaks

Some political forum this is, the latest hot topic is being completely ignored. How should we address this?

We should give the man a medal?

We should give the man life?

We should hire MOSSAD to handle this little problem?

We should fire MOSSAD for creating this little problem?

Any takers?

Chas
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm no fan of Julian Assange's antics nor of the possible ramifications of him publishing the leaks, but I think the DOJ's is off base considering a criminal prosecution. It's the US government who put all this info at the fingertips of a friggin' Army private who leaked it. One of the first rules of securing information is that it can only be accessed by those with the appropriate clearances and the "need to know." Why in the world did this Army private have the need to know the contents of diplomatic cables?

To answer your question more directly, we shouldn't do anything to Assange. But we should clean up the systems that allowed him access to these materials. From what I've read thus far, there's nothing in the State Dep't. materials that directly threaten our security. They just embarrass us, more for the fact that we don't keep our diplomatic records appropriately protected than for the contents themselves.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Area Man

I think the mere existence of a website named "Wikileaks", that is dedicated soley to broadcasting national security secrets to the entire world warrants the use of an assassins services. I wouldn't seek prosecution either. I have this Assange piece of shit killed. A mysterious, untraceable accident that sends a clear message. The kind of death wherein everyone knows who was behind it, but no one can prove it.

This is what I think of Mr. Assange and "Wikileaks".

Then I would investigate into who leaked it, and how.

Dave
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think the mere existence of a website named "Wikileaks", that is dedicated soley to broadcasting national security secrets to the entire world warrants the use of an assassins services. I wouldn't seek prosecution either. I have this Assange piece of shit killed. A mysterious, untraceable accident that sends a clear message. The kind of death wherein everyone knows who was behind it, but no one can prove it.

This is what I think of Mr. Assange and "Wikileaks".

Then I would investigate into who leaked it, and how.

Dave
I don't know. Without leaks Watergate would still be a cover-up. If for nothing else, the fact that Armastraitjacket now knows that if Iran tries anything, how few (if any) of his neighbors will side with them.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Kill the little fart, what he is leaking cannot begin to be compared tp Watergate or the Pentagon Papers. Or let the Swedes throw him in jail as a sexual predator.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Whoa, the lefties get riled

Realisically I don't think we can just bump off a European. Even if he died from natural causes now not a single soul would believe it. But apparently, few (on this side of the pond anyway) would care.

A stray thought - what if we leaked them intentionally? It's about time the MEs true views on regional issues were shown.

Pete
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
A stray thought - what if we leaked them intentionally? It's about time the MEs true views on regional issues were shown.

Pete
Actually, these leaks didn't contain any secrets to begin with. This material was in a database separate from the one that contained the highly protected secret stuff.

On the subject of the ME, it is certainly no secret that the Sunni monarchies/dictatorships (e.g., Saudi Arabia, Egypt) are frightened about the revolutionary beliefs of Iran. This is common knowledge among anyone with a clue about ME politics. Nothing new there.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

I simply do not think sanctimonious little perverts like him are of any particular use to society. Maybe if they find the building where the do all the copying they could set it afire. Of yes my dears he is also doing it for money, he makes demands on the newspapers to whom he sends the stuff. Several have told him to stuff it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Actually, these leaks didn't contain any secrets to begin with. This material was in a database separate from the one that contained the highly protected secret stuff.

On the subject of the ME, it is certainly no secret that the Sunni monarchies/dictatorships (e.g., Saudi Arabia, Egypt) are frightened about the revolutionary beliefs of Iran. This is common knowledge among anyone with a clue about ME politics. Nothing new there.
Thanks Pat, I always look forward to you and Rob's take on these things.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The pressing question is "how a 22-year-old Army private at a remote Iraqi base could have gotten access to 250,000 State Department cables, as well as tens of thousands more military reports from Iraq and Afghanistan, and how he could have downloaded them onto CDs without being detected. The chief suspect in the deliveries to WikiLeaks, Bradley Manning, was a disconsolate man who had been reprimanded for assaulting an officer and believed he might be discharged for his misconduct. Why was he allowed to retain access to classified information? How could he have stolen such a large amount of material without triggering any alarms?" *

*extracted from a WashPost editorial

Tags
hang the traitor