Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
One good way to understand what’s going on with this latest exercise in financial misdirection is to notice that this plan will tax the interest payment on one student’s loans, but that it may no longer tax another student’s multibillion-dollar inheritance.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ican-tax-plan/
Plus there is this also in the bill for the wealthy.

"" Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ school-choice agenda is getting a bit of a boost from the Republican tax bill, which would allow parents to use education savings accounts to pay tuition at private elementary and secondary schools. ""

http://ktar.com/story/1818051/republ...school-choice/

Barney
Old 11-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Thanks and a very good answer Robbin and make sense.
Guess I belong in that category with two mortgages and other deductions that I need.
Something tells me it won't go through but if you can't deduct what you paid in state tax alone that is a few thousand dollars you won't be able to deduct.
Everyone pays a boatload of state taxes out here.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Plus there is this also in the bill for the wealthy.

"" Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ school-choice agenda is getting a bit of a boost from the Republican tax bill, which would allow parents to use education savings accounts to pay tuition at private elementary and secondary schools. ""

http://ktar.com/story/1818051/republ...school-choice/

Barney
How is that "for the wealthy"? We live in a solidly middle class area, and there are plenty of parents who sacrifice for their kids and send them to schools of their choice, or home school. Our city actually has a pretty good school system to boot: not the very best but a long way from the worst. So these parents not only pay taxes to support the city school system, they pay tuition to the school of their choice. Why shouldn't they get some relief from "double-paying" to send their kids to the school of their choice?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
How is that "for the wealthy"? We live in a solidly middle class area, and there are plenty of parents who sacrifice for their kids and send them to schools of their choice, or home school. Our city actually has a pretty good school system to boot: not the very best but a long way from the worst. So these parents not only pay taxes to support the city school system, they pay tuition to the school of their choice. Why shouldn't they get some relief from "double-paying" to send their kids to the school of their choice?
For the same reason our taxes pay for roads we never use ourselves, it's part of our common infrastructure.
Likewise, we can put roads on private property if we pay for them ourselves, whether we leave or not.
The money should go where it is really needed, to improve common infrastructure for the common good. Individuals may pay for what they want in addition for thenselves.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin says the Trump White House is "not focused" on reducing government spending, as the administration continues to push Republicans' plans to overhaul the nation's tax code.

Quote:
"We are focused on regulation. We are focused on kind of the two-for-one, getting rid of two regulations for any one," Mnuchin said Sunday on CBS News' "Face the Nation."
So whatever happened to the party of fiscal responsibility? F that.

The Republican Party Is A Deficit Fraud

Quote:
Let it be shouted from every mountaintop in the United States: Today's Republican Party is a federal budget deficit and national debt fraud.

Quote:
GOP President Donald Trump and his House and Senate Republican allies have proposed a multi-trillion dollar tax cut that isn't needed to stimulate the U.S. economy and will increase the deficit by an average of at least $200 billion a year.

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's director of the Office of Management and Budget, who claimed to be an uber fiscal conservative when he helped found the House Freedom Caucus to force deficit reductions at every opportunity, is now demanding trillions of dollars in additional deficits and unbelievable increases in government borrowing.
So sad that their supporters are so dumb and ignorant and do not know when they are being taken for a ride over a fiscal cliff.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stancol.../#1b385d53263d

Last edited by Rajoo; 11-12-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I sent my son to private schools, because they provided smaller classrooms resulting in more focused education for him. He went on to graduate from a public university.

I'm fortunate that I was able to afford it. Most parents can't. I certainly don't mind paying my share of providing our kids with free public education, even now that I no longer have kids in school. They are our future, after all. I fail to comprehend how selfish Repubes have SUCH difficulty understanding such basic things.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Public schools are and should be funded by all. For the general good of our country and society. I never felt the schools lacked the proper training when I and also when sons went. But now state legislature has cut funding, has implemented school vouchers and allows in transfers. These three items since taking effect have hurt the public schools. With vouchers alone transfers funding meant for public schools go to private ones. So in the end it is a self fulfilling prophecy enacted by the state legislature to gut the public schools. My guess it is do to the teachers unions not to improve education.

If parents don't want to send their children to a public school I feel they should pay for it. Most if not all of the parents I know who do it is because of religious beliefs, racial ethnic mix at public school, sports program or just plain prestige in the name.

Barney
Old 11-27-2017, 10:47 AM

While FOX and their allies are busy talking about Franken and Conyers while keeping Moore in hiding, here is something that they would rather not talk about.

Lowest-income Americans would take bigger hit than first thought under Senate GOP tax bill, CBO says

Now the GOP is trying to buy votes in the Senate by cozying up to the evangelicals narrowing the line between church and state. One hell of a Christmas gift to the followers of the MAGA moron.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/27/sena...bo-report.html
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Senate GOP tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, CBO finds
Quote:
The Senate Republican tax plan gives substantial tax cuts and benefits to Americans earning more than $100,000 a year, while the nation’s poorest would be worse off, according to a report released Sunday by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

Republicans are aiming to have the full Senate vote on the tax plan as early as this week, but the new CBO analysis showing large, harmful effects on the poor may complicate those plans. The CBO also said the bill would add $1.4 trillion to the deficit over the next decade, a potential problem for Republican lawmakers worried about America’s growing debt.
Party of fiscal responsibility is it or one that robs the poor?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.035024e82924
Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Get ready for another Guilded Age.