Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Jigsawed

A lot of people like him because he projected effectively the argument that Germany was stabbed in the back (WW1) by the twin evil of Jews and the Bolsheviks.
. The Jews even if they were armed would not be effective since they were spread throughout Germany. A people armed in a particular area if their numbers are sufficient can put up some resistance.

Anti semitism had a very large receptive audience in Germany especially after WW1.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yes, we have gotten a bit off track (as usual). I don't believe it would have either. The one thing the German example, and others, shows is that you can't necessarily depend on the military to turn on the government. Soldiers follow orders. And the military is a department of the government after all. That's where the military paychecks and all associated bennies come from.

And, honestly, I think that, even here, if it came right down to it most of these NRA blowhards would hand over weapons with little more than a whimper. At the end of the day, they'll start worrying about how ending up dead or in jail would impact their families and so on. Oh, there'd be some, but not enough to make much difference.

Remember what Uncle Ted bellowed last year? Well, where is it? Is he "dead or in jail". So full of shit................

The cat is out of the bag, it isn't 1790 anymore and the government has amassed far more deadly weapons and vast networks of military, intelligence and law enforcement agencies...........and everyone knows it. Hell, that's a big part of what all the fuss is about. Is anyone dumb enough to think Uncle Sam isn't watching for potential insurrectionists and making contingency plans? Who is it that decides who is an insurrectionist and who isn't? Your local Tea Party zealots? Oh, spare me, please.

Regards,
Dave
So your point is a well armed populace would not rise up and revolt against tyranny imposed from above, using Nazi Germany as your example. I can see that point. So arguments like having unlimited access to semi-automatic weapons in order to fight against a tyrannical Federal government is downright silly because at the end of the day the Feds would win since a well paid national military is on their side. Well maybe that is true but I have faith that our government and nation will never get to that point.

We could point to present day Syria as a point against your argument.However, the United States has a pretty good record of not opening fire on peaceful demonstrators, is a representative democratic republic that allows for the peaceful transfer of power, and is a bastion of religious and civilian liberty. We are not Assad's Syria or Nazi Germany.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Area Man

"Well maybe that is true but I have faith that our government and nation will never get to that point."

Me too. But there seems to be a right many people who seem to believe we are reaching that point and that the time for peaceful demonstration is passing. Good luck to them. I think they are stupid and stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting anywhere with it, but...............well, there you have it.

Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
A lot of people like him because he projected effectively the argument that Germany was stabbed in the back (WW1) by the twin evil of Jews and the Bolsheviks.
. The Jews even if they were armed would not be effective since they were spread throughout Germany. A people armed in a particular area if their numbers are sufficient can put up some resistance.

Anti semitism had a very large receptive audience in Germany especially after WW1.
Ask any Air Force pilot in an A10 Warthog what they think of that idea. A target rich enviroment is probably what they would say. They don't mind being shot at with small arms, it just shows them where to drop the napalm or cluster bombs on their next pass. Caveat, small arms being anything under 20mm.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Ask any Air Force pilot in an A10 Warthog what they think of that idea. A target rich enviroment is probably what they would say. They don't mind being shot at with small arms, it just shows them where to drop the napalm or cluster bombs on their next pass. Caveat, small arms being anything under 20mm.
Hmmm Bob
what country defeated a massive Air Force and Army while black pajamas and carrying AK-47s

air power is not everything. It usually just makes the enemy more determined to win in the long run
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Actually the North Vietnamese had a modern army that wore regular uniforms....the Viet Cong wore the black pajamas

well
in the movie Green Berets they did I think...such an accurate portrayal of the War.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

1). "Hmmm Bob
what country defeated a massive Air Force and Army while black pajamas and carrying AK-47s"

2). "air power is not everything. It usually just makes the enemy more determined to win in the long run"
1). In the jungle against an Army trained and equipped to fight in a conditions more like Europe or North America. McArthur and Ike both warned against getting too heavily involved in S.E. Asia. Turns out they were right, just as Ike was right about the MIC.

2). Speaking of Nazis..........I'd say air superiority pretty much did them in. The Japanese too.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Hmmm Bob
what country defeated a massive Air Force and Army while black pajamas and carrying AK-47s

air power is not everything. It usually just makes the enemy more determined to win in the long run
Pissant teabaggers ain't nothing like those guys. I'm an asshole, I would use tactical nukes on 'em. Teabaggers that is.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
1). In the jungle against an Army trained and equipped to fight in a conditions more like Europe or North America. McArthur and Ike both warned against getting too heavily involved in S.E. Asia. Turns out they were right, just as Ike was right about the MIC.

2). Speaking of Nazis..........I'd say air superiority pretty much did them in.

Dave
I respectfully disagree. It was the forces of the Allied troops who invaded France on D-Day from the West and the Red Army from the East. Not to dismiss our air power, but I think the troops on the ground are usually what will win wars like that. Of course the Russian winters hurting their supply lines to the Eastern Front was a big help.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Pissant teabaggers ain't nothing like those guys. I'm an asshole, I would use tactical nukes on 'em. Teabaggers that is.
of course
been to any good Tea Bagger Soup kitchens?
now that pho is damn good