Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
The second amendment would not have done anything. Germans were unemployed and Hitler had a job creation program, namely war.

Sounds familiar.
That's right.

Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I don't think so, simply because so many power centers in Germany supported him during his rise to power.

They thought he'd be a puppet. Dupes all.

Pete
Namely their defense industry and military. They recognized his love of all things military and unwavering patriotism. Figured that under this guy, they'd get whatever they wanted. Turns out they got way more than that. And so did the rest of the world. Unfortunately.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM

I agree with you 100 percent Dave. But the example you are using is perhaps not the best. He gained control though democratic means by winning in the Reichstag a plurality ( I can't remember if it was a majority I could be wrong) in 1933. Then he convinced Hindenberg to appoint him Chancellor and he then took complete control. In other words the German people elected him and then he subverted Democracy after he became Chancellor. He did not really rise to power against the will of the people since he was elected.

I hate people even implying that American presidents past or present dead or alive Republican or Democrat are anything similar to Hitler.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The problem is we're nothing like tween war Germany.

My apologies Dave, I feel like I jumped the gun on that one. We were just discussing Schicklegruber in another thread and I was overly sensitive, as rust belt righties tend to be

'Dolphie didn't have any problems with homosexuality on the down low for sure, but that would be the classical mold of perfect soldier. He needed babies to feed into his machine.

He was progessive in one way - to get those babies he encouraged German girls to bang away.

Ice thanks, I've fooled another one You can completely believe me when I say Obama is the antichrist

EB, social worker, or weapons engineer? I have no problems cutting the military right now, at least the small amount considered.

Pete
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The Church backed him too.

Pete
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The problem is we're nothing like tween war Germany.

My apologies Dave, I feel like I jumped the gun on that one. We were just discussing Schicklegruber in another thread and I was overly sensitive, as rust belt righties tend to be

'Dolphie didn't have any problems with homosexuality on the down low for sure, but that would be the classical mold of perfect soldier. He needed babies to feed into his machine.

He was progessive in one way - to get those babies he encouraged German girls to bang away.

Ice thanks, I've fooled another one You can completely believe me when I say Obama is the antichrist

EB, social worker, or weapons engineer? I have no problems cutting the military right now, at least the small amount considered.

Pete
oK

by the way your plan about dying a year early to save Medicare is great...
you first lol
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
. . . I hate people even implying that American presidents past or present dead or alive Republican or Democrat are anything similar to Hitler.
There's a disconnect here.

The original question was whether a second amendment would have prevented Hitler's reign. I merely think it would not have. Citizens are simply too well behaved to shoot each other over political differences. They have to be pushed pretty hard to start shooting back at their own government and, since that is the way they behave, the second amendment has no net effect on reigning in government.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I agree with you 100 percent Dave. But the example you are using is perhaps not the best. He gained control though democratic means by winning in the Reichstag a plurality ( I can't remember if it was a majority I could be wrong) in 1933. Then he convinced Hindenberg to appoint him Chancellor and he then took complete control. In other words the German people elected him and then he subverted Democracy after he became Chancellor. He did not really rise to power against the will of the people since he was elected.

I hate people even implying that American presidents past or present dead or alive Republican or Democrat are anything similar to Hitler.
Yes, I know. In fact this is what I am pointing out.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
There's a disconnect here.

The original question was whether a second amendment would have prevented Hitler's reign. I merely think it would not have. Citizens are simply too well behaved to shoot each other over political differences. They have to be pushed pretty hard to start shooting back at their own government and, since that is the way they behave, the second amendment has no net effect on reigning in government.
Yes, we have gotten a bit off track (as usual). I don't believe it would have either. The one thing the German example, and others, shows is that you can't necessarily depend on the military to turn on the government. Soldiers follow orders. And the military is a department of the government after all. That's where the military paychecks and all associated bennies come from.

And, honestly, I think that, even here, if it came right down to it most of these NRA blowhards would hand over weapons with little more than a whimper. At the end of the day, they'll start worrying about how ending up dead or in jail would impact their families and so on. Oh, there'd be some, but not enough to make much difference.

Remember what Uncle Ted bellowed last year? Well, where is it? Is he "dead or in jail". So full of shit................

The cat is out of the bag, it isn't 1790 anymore and the government has amassed far more deadly weapons and vast networks of military, intelligence and law enforcement agencies...........and everyone knows it. Hell, that's a big part of what all the fuss is about. Is anyone dumb enough to think Uncle Sam isn't watching for potential insurrectionists and making contingency plans? Who is it that decides who is an insurrectionist and who isn't? Your local Tea Party zealots? Oh, spare me, please.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Meh.

The 2A as valid government opposition has been moot since 1865, when everyone had the same guns.

The very idea that John Q. could oppose our government's military for greater than 15 seconds (ten of which would be the big guns laughing uncontrollably) is farcical.