Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Someone mentionned Mencken, this quotation is probably what he would have said about Fox;

"No one ever lost money underestimating the taste of the Americn public."

We could go on all day with Mencken quotes, (and maybe I will ), but this one says a lot about a lot of what we discuss here.

"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got as used to it."

John
Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Someone mentionned Mencken, this quotation is probably what he would have said about Fox;

"No one ever lost money underestimating the taste of the Americn public."
Been looking through Mencken quotes and found this one:

"No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

It says much the same thing as the one you cite above and more besides. I like it better but it's too long to have ever caught on.

John
Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Resident octogenarian

Yours sounds more like old H.L.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 AM

First post...

I'm basically putting my two cents in from posts I read on the first page I really do not have the time to read through 5 pages so bear with me and keep that in mind...

I'm a conservative and I would never consider Hannity, Rush, Beck, O'Rielly ect.... to be news.... these are commentators and should be taken with that in mind. These are not hard news shows... these are opinion based entertainment shows. I also would not give a left wing comedy show any credence what so ever! It's funny how the left seems to use comedic redicule rather then serious discussion to forward there agenda...

All the major networks for the most part have become entertainment. Responsible level headed citizens have to sift through the BS and form our own opinions. Anyone that swallows the media from either view point to form there opinion is delusional.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Welcome aboard Alan. I guess the reason why what you call the left wing uses ridicule is that it is really difficult to take the right wing here seriously.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I also would not give a left wing comedy show any credence what so ever! It's funny how the left seems to use comedic redicule rather then serious discussion to forward there agenda...
Did you catch this thread?

http://www.politicalchat.org/offroad...read.php?t=576

Eh, not so sure it's a "left" thing.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The words are not punished in that example, it is the action of placing others in a clear and present danger from a stampede. Time and manner restrictions on speech are permissible, not content related restrictions. You are proposing punishment based on the content of the speech, and that is a tool that could easily be abused. News reporting is not subject to black and white analysis. Making the distinction between news reporting and opinion reporting, as you have previously suggested, is a much blurrier line.

"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." 9 Writings of James Madison 103 (G. Hunt ed. 1910).
How can you say that misleading folks is not a clear and present danger to the future of our country?
if you do it in the private sector it is illegal.
My suggestions limits no ones rights to free speech, it simply would educate the population in regards to fact vs opinion.
Are you against education?
Isn't that the way it is supposed to be? When I was a kid the paper had an Oped page that was opinion and the rest was news. Now most the paper is oped but not labeled as such.

You can disagree with me but you can't say that my suggestion is unconstitutional or unenforceable.
I think most folks left and right simply don't have comfort level for thinking out of the box.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

BTW Noon, I concur with D-Ray's line of reasoning. His arguments are valid.

Adios schmucks...I'm off to Beer Camp. I'm the chef tonite.

Chas
So you don't agree with me.

Well I'm devastated.

Beer Camp

no invite?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

But we don't need some nanny to watch over our TV viewing,.
But I agree!

I want labels, not nannies.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Quote:
I do agree. Being fair and balanced is a high bar, and one that Fox is unable to leap. Are they more fair and balanced than CBS, NBC, ABC, ETC...probably not. Are they less F&B than the above, once again, probably not.

I totally disagree. (big surprise) CBS, NBC, ABC, ETC are not fair and balanced but not nearly as ridiculous as Fox.

Quote:
At times they seem to address issues that the other networks won't, which is their only redeeming quality in my eyes.
I have never observed this.

Quote:
Anyway, the time has come for me to report back to beer camp.

Chas
still no invite?