Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Bad squirrel! Bad!

Reid's the worst kind of idiot - a smart sneaky one. Perfect for chairing a large international corporation or perhaps leading the Senate. I suspect he was a teacher at Obama's madrassas.

I watch a lot of international news. A couple of days ago I saw an interview with an Iraqi lady. She had brought her kid to a playground.

The modern playground was full of children and mothers, playing. Anyone that thinks things aren't getting better over there isn't paying close enough attention.

Pete
Guess you missed the BBC one where the mothers were afraid to even let the kids out of the house.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm sure it's region by region, but at least the mothers don't have to worry about Saddams offspring taking their daughters to their sex dungeons.

Pete
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I'm sure it's region by region, but at least the mothers don't have to worry about Saddams offspring taking their daughters to their sex dungeons.

Pete
How worried about this were you in 2000?

Don't bother I know the answer.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If I would've known, I wouldn't have liked it.

It does show something positive though.

Pete
Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
If I would've known, I wouldn't have liked it.

It does show something positive though.

Pete
Yep. Let's invade every country who doesn't treat women the way we think they should. Maybe we should start with southern Utah.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
He's wrong (as was Dubya). We have no national interests there (other than oil).

It worked, just not well enough to make up for the mess that Dubya left behind - starting two wars and extending Medicare benefits while cutting taxes and ignoring the warning signs of the mortgage debacle. BTW, he campaigned on getting rid of the Bush era tax cuts for those earning more than $250K. That's exactly what he would have done had the GOP not placed their roadblocks.
Its all the GOP's fault, or Bush's fault. Gawd that gets old - not to mention lacking much basis in fact. Like, for example, the Dems who wanted to extend the Bush tax cuts as is, which makes it clear that the Dems lacked much unity on the issue. Its pretty convenient to ignore these little facts when they get in the way of the desired storyline.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Not to mention this bunch's complete lack of any fiscal discipline...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101210/...dget_deficit_2

...but its just so much easier to blame that other guys...
Old 12-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Its all the GOP's fault, or Bush's fault. Gawd that gets old - not to mention lacking much basis in fact. Like, for example, the Dems who wanted to extend the Bush tax cuts as is, which makes it clear that the Dems lacked much unity on the issue. Its pretty convenient to ignore these little facts when they get in the way of the desired storyline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Not to mention this bunch's complete lack of any fiscal discipline...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101210/...dget_deficit_2

...but its just so much easier to blame that other guys...
It must be somehow comforting to be completely oblivious to Dubya's malfeasance.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:09 PM

In defense of Shrub.

When he took office he inherited a recession from the Clinton era. Then he was hit with 9-11.

Now whether or not the war in Iraq was the thing to do is a matter of opinion. Regardless, the time had come to do something, and he did.

Concerning lowering taxes and increasing spending. This is considered to be the proper response to a recession, as advocated by none other than Lord Keynes himself. Of course, Keynes also advocated raising taxes and replenishing the public coffers when times are good, a thought apparently lost by BOTH parties.

And if deficit spending by the Bush administration was so bad, why is quantum deficit spending by the Obama administration so beloved? Not to mention, Obama and the Democrats have had the helm for two years, and what Bush policies have they overturned?

IMHO, one you park your ass in the big chair, you find that your options are limited. And all of the screeching from the sidelines is no more than partisan bickering.

Chas
Old 12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Quote:
When he took office he inherited a recession from the Clinton era.
The mildest downturn in the history of the US.

Quote:
Then he was hit with 9-11.
This gave him a second term.

Quote:
Now whether or not the war in Iraq was the thing to do is a matter of opinion. Regardless, the time had come to do something, and he did.
You really need to explain this. Iraq IMHO was not just a matter of opinion. I mean our own military saw no need for action! Time to do something? No. We needed to defend and protect ourselves. Period.

Quote:
Concerning lowering taxes and increasing spending. This is considered to be the proper response to a recession, as advocated by none other than Lord Keynes himself. Of course, Keynes also advocated raising taxes and replenishing the public coffers when times are good, a thought apparently lost by BOTH parties.
This was a theory and we learned it was no valid. The proper course is to spend. Period. (didn't I just say that?)

Quote:
And if deficit spending by the Bush administration was so bad, why is quantum deficit spending by the Obama administration so beloved? Not to mention, Obama and the Democrats have had the helm for two years, and what Bush policies have they overturned?
Obama needed to spend to save us from a global depression. Bush spent as a drunken fraternity boy. Irresponsibly. Now if you want top say OBIE did not spend properly, that's another story.

Quote:
IMHO, one you park your ass in the big chair, you find that your options are limited. And all of the screeching from the sidelines is no more than partisan bickering.

Chas
Well it was partisan but Obie seems to have sold his sole.

Tags
hang the traitor