Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Al Gore and the Internet and stuff

You guys know that I despise Al Gore. For the past few days I've had thoughts rolling around my head about something he said during this election.

During a TV interview a reporter asked him his thoughts on the electoral college (EC). Al said, with his trademark smile and warm southern drawl, that it served its purpose in the day but it's a relic and should probably go. The reporter, out of time as they always are, thanked good old Al and handed off to the anchor desk.

I thought to myself WTF? Where did Al arrive at that conclusion? Since then I've reflected on the purpose of the EC, namely to insulate voters from smooth operators that harbored ill intent for the federation. To that end Federalist Paper #68 says of the EC, "Nothing was more to be desired than that every practicable obstacle should be opposed to cabal, intrigue, and corruption."

Then I thought back to Al and his pushing for public access to the internet en masse. You guys probably know better what his story was at the time, but in hindsight it seems he might have been working on shortening the communication path between influential shysters and their voting victims.

If I can think of it so can someone else.

So now we have Al Gore

1) proposing to do away with the EC at the federal level, and
2) shortening the communication path between wealthy shysters and their pawns.

Add to that

3) his investment in carbon market infrastructure while at the same time advocating for federal legislation requiring a cap and trade, and
4) advocating for NAFTA which every economist in his right mind knew would hurt American workers.

In my book the guy is a snake in the grass.

I'm going to search for whether he had a hand in the media market consolidation of the 1990s. Any of you on the right know if he did?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Sure Enough. Al Gore supported the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

http://www.algore2008.net/accomplishments2.html

This guy has been a problem for decades. Besides Ayn Rand, I can't think of anyone that has done a better job at cheerleading the disassembly of the American economy.

The 1% has a friend in that clown. No doubt about it.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Ayn Rand fans,

Here is your free market at work. I don't want to hear any more illogical BS that monopolies don't happen under laissez-faire.

Since the act we now have 6 networks that serve 50 states. No wonder our national dialogue is so f*cked up. We are arguing over one size fits all national policies. There is no such thing, at least not for citizens. But there sure as heck is for multistate and multinational corporations and unless you are in the front office of one of those you are taking it in the ass whether you know it or not.

Quote:
The Act was claimed to foster competition. Instead, it continued the historic industry consolidation reducing the number of major media companies from around 50 in 1983 to 10 in 1996[24] and 6 in 2005.[25] An FCC study found that the Act had led to a drastic decline in the number of radio station owners, even as the actual number of commercial stations in the United States had increased.[26]
From wiki page for the Telecommunications Act of 1996

Wake up Tea Party. Wake up blue collar Republican voters. The 1% are not your friends. It is their job to take your money.

You guys know that Al Gore is an asshole. So why do you support a neocon Republican party that is in favor of the same New World Order agenda as Al Gore?

It befuddles the hell out of me as to why you guys won't burn flags. Washington won't get the message until you guys are brave enough to show them you are angry. But if you get placated every time some billionaire waves flags in your faces on his TV channels then you guys are useless as tits on a bull.

Propoganda is powerful stuff.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM

Interesting stuff. Gotta do some reading.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

So the guys you really should be pissed off at are the heads of thr Funny Cookie Company that let Rupert buy up all those stations and newspapers.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So the guys you really should be pissed off at are the heads of thr Funny Cookie Company that let Rupert buy up all those stations and newspapers.
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?
FCC, eggs.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Ahh.

That period was a mess with regard to communication regulation. The internet was just released to the public and everybody was looking to cash in on it. In the executive branch we had Al Gore cheerleading consolidation. In the legislature we had the Telecommunications Act. And in the administration, e.g. FCC, we had Colin Powell's son running the joint.

A lot of insiders made money. Later we saw Al Gore and Colin Powell associate with the VC firm Kleiner Perkins et al.

I think that period was when the music really died for the Republican party. They got jealous of Al Gore's scams, abandoned their practical-minded agrarian base, and veered towards the easy money to be made by legislating for profit. Goodbye to The Logic of the Farm.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Admin

For the record, I disagree with most of your IMO mis-characterizations of Vice President Gore. Other than being a second gen successful politician I think he's had a positive influence on the subject of the environment and the internet. Your Mileage apparently Varies.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM

I will give Al Gore one bit of credit.

He is a big thinker.

Then again the world has cleaned up after a bunch of those guys.