Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
In sum: they've gone too far.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM

I'll go on record as saying I don't like the law nor do I think it will survive the Supreme Court.
However it may serve a useful function in as much as I believe congress now realizes they cannot ignore this any longer.

I have worked both with and around illegal immigrants and find many, actually most of them to be honest hard workers. They are first and foremost human beings. However I'm akso torn because they are in fact breaking the law and unless they close the border the drug wars here will grow to resemble the ones in Mexico.

The deserts around here are littered with bodies and the drophouse and hostage situation is so prevalent even the cops just shrug. PHX is the kidnap capitol of America because these people are seen as a commodity to be bought and sold both by the big businesses that use them and the smugglers who profit off them.

This is as I stated a bad law but something has to be done. Hopefully this is the impetus to open congresses eyes. Something has to give and I wish I had the answers but status quo aint cuttin it.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
I'll go on record as saying I don't like the law nor do I think it will survive the Supreme Court.
However it may serve a useful function in as much as I believe congress now realizes they cannot ignore this any longer.

This is as I stated a bad law but something has to be done. Hopefully this is the impetus to open congresses eyes. Something has to give and I wish I had the answers but status quo ain't cuttin it.
And Congress will come up with a solution that works. Yeah... right.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Yes, but there are a few problems here. First, being here illegally, though illegal, isn't a crime. You can't be incarcerated for being here illegally, just deported.
I'd rather they're deported anyway but that doesn't seem to help much, evidently.

Quote:
Second, the 14th Amendment reserves immigration matters to the Federal authorities. For a state to enact a law like Arizona's usurps Federal authority and imposes criminal penalties on an offense that isn't one under the relevant Federal statutes.

John
I'll take your word for it that it's true. However, that's between AZ and the Feds to hash out. I don't see that aspect as making AZ more evil just because the Feds don't seem to be holding up their end. If the people/entities that are supposed to protect you can't or don't, are you not entitled to self defense? I think so.

Last edited by whoaru99; 04-29-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
In sum: they've gone too far.
Why? By actually trying to do something about the problem; put teeth into laws/regulations that basically seem to exist already, or rough equvalents already proposed at a higher level.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

The only thing 'broken' about our immigration system is that we let in too many people, over one million every year. Talking to some of the applicants while waiting for my hearing I can tell you that the majority are un-skilled so we are simply importing more unemployed.

Saw the lady from La Raza on Newshour last night and she would have us believe that we should grant amnesty to all those who are here. Granted that they work hard, but they also work cheap and are taking jobs away from legal citizens.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The only thing 'broken' about our immigration system is that we let in too many people, over one million every year. Talking to some of the applicants while waiting for my hearing I can tell you that the majority are un-skilled so we are simply importing more unemployed.

Saw the lady from La Raza on Newshour last night and she would have us believe that we should grant amnesty to all those who are here. Granted that they work hard, but they also work cheap and are taking jobs away from legal citizens.
I cannot agree more.

Chas
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I'm with both of you on this.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Why? By actually trying to do something about the problem; put teeth into laws/regulations that basically seem to exist already, or rough equvalents already proposed at a higher level.
You know as well as I do that this isn't going to work.

Putting into practice something you cannot pay for, isn't self-sustaining, and that -- actually -- ADDS to the inherent concern is, without question, going too far.

It's overreaching of the highest order.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

Judging from the news it will be tied up in the courts for ever. Looks like the only beneficiaries will be the lawyers. Even a beat cop is suing them saying that there is no way he can enforce it.

Article in the Post where the author claims many are actually going back home and not just because of the recession, hope he is right.