Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Ahhhh, yes, I'm with you, Eddie. "Unelected corporate oligarchs good, democratically elected officials bad." Does seem to be the emerging mantra, does it not? Some of us do seem to have developed an overriding concern that everything we do stuffs more money into the pockets of those who already have it, don't they, Ed?

Dave
Oligarchs- you mean the people who make America great, don't you? The people who took our founding fathers at their word. The people who were nieve enough to believe that if they worked hard they could make a better life for their children. Why do you hate the children Dave? Why do you hate America?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I think Rick was simply observing what has been happening rather than advocating corporate control of government.

Don't forget Haliburton's role in Iraq, as well as the oil interests. Think of the corporate interests in the military industrial complex. Shoot, the crap that Wall Street was selling infected the world banking industry. I like Google, but I worry about a corporation large enough to thumb its nose at China. Already mentioned the gift that foreign corporations have been given by the Supremes. Is the smaller government that the right is demanding really going to be able to go toe to toe with these beasts? Of course not. The GOP cannot let a meddling government make things difficult for their patrons.

Regards,

D-ray

I was agreeing with Rick, not arguing against him. Maybe I failed to articulate that?

Dave
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Will someone explain to me where the corporations end and government starts?

Pete
Easy. Corporates cannot be impeached or voted out. Except by the board of directors.
Government theoretically can be by the will of the people.

Corporate is all for making money and keeping money.
Govt. is all about making money then spending money.

Neither gives a crap about you, me or the rest of the unwashed proletariat.

Understand now?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Will someone explain to me where the corporations end and government starts?

Pete

Will someone explain to me why so many want to erase what little is left of lines and put the corporations completely in charge? (Complete privatization.)

I don't want to to live in a world run by autocratic corporate executives whose top priority is lining their own wallets and hate being told what to do by anyone. They certainly don't give a rats petute about Democracy.

I would rather live in a country that is run by officials that we CHOOSE through democratic process. That we can vote out, at the end of four years if we don't like them. When was the last time any of us got to vote for
any CEO, COO, or (Insert name of corporate sycophant here.)? Let's see, that would be, ummmm, errr---Never?

Not trying to start an argument with you, Bud. Actually, I agree with you.
The line are getting far too blurry. The only difference we might have is that I think the Dems have sold out to corporatocracy, and that the Reps ARE the corporatocracy.

Dave
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
Easy. Corporates cannot be impeached or voted out. Except by the board of directors.
Government theoretically can be by the will of the people.

Corporate is all for making money and keeping money.
Govt. is all about taking money then spending money.

Neither gives a crap about you, me or the rest of the unwashed proletariat.

Understand now?
Fixed it for ya.

How can we vote out judically protected tinpot dictators, er, I mean beauocrats?

Corporate, we can just stop buying their products. If we're not smart enough to do that, how are we smart enough for Democracy?

I agree no one cares about us, except as far as they can steal from us.

Quote:
Will someone explain to me why so many want to erase what little is left of lines and put the corporations completely in charge? (Complete privatization.)

I don't want to to live in a world run by autocratic corporate executives whose top priority is lining their own wallets and hate being told what to do by anyone. They certainly don't give a rats petute about Democracy.

I would rather live in a country that is run by officials that we CHOOSE through democratic process. That we can vote out, at the end of four years if we don't like them. When was the last time any of us got to vote for
any CEO, COO, or (Insert name of corporate sycophant here.)? Let's see, that would be, ummmm, errr---Never?

Not trying to start an argument with you, Bud. Actually, I agree with you.
The line are getting far too blurry. The only difference we might have is that I think the Dems have sold out to corporatocracy, and that the Reps ARE the corporatocracy.

Dave
Heck they both work for the same people. In an aging book, Who Rules America Now, the author showed that the only time there is a fight in Congress is when the ruling class (mostly the rich) can't come to an agreement beforehand.

Pete
Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Never happen.

National sovereignty and nationalism are in our DNA. We're primates and, as such, we are hard wired for organization into tribes (human) or troupes (simians). We'll never be able to shake off our need to distinguish between "us" and "them".

John
I disagree a little here John although your approach is indeed the way to analysis this. I would suggest that our hard wiring would indeed be attracted to our tribe becoming one. The whole idea is that a group is stronger than the individual and therefore provides safety. Hence one tribe of all human would provide (in theory) the end of war (threat to safety).
I see our hard wiring leading us to a one world government. The biggest obstacle are the powerful who will vie for control against one another.

This could be an interesting discussion but it is not well suited to an internet message board.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I disagree a little here John although your approach is indeed the way to analysis this. I would suggest that our hard wiring would indeed be attracted to our tribe becoming one.
I guess it depends on how ones defines "tribe." I think a distinction needs to be made between tribe and species. We're all of the same species, but not the same tribe. Hell, we Americans (some of us anyway) revel in our differences with Western Europe (from whence we came (mostly)) even though our cultures are not that different.

As for being similar enough to an African Bushman or a Sunni Fundamentalist to say we have enough in common to become the same "tribe," we, as a species, have a ways to go.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I disagree a little here John although your approach is indeed the way to analysis this. I would suggest that our hard wiring would indeed be attracted to our tribe becoming one. The whole idea is that a group is stronger than the individual and therefore provides safety. Hence one tribe of all human would provide (in theory) the end of war (threat to safety).
I see our hard wiring leading us to a one world government. The biggest obstacle are the powerful who will vie for control against one another.
Tribalism isn't inclusive. It's exclusive, a way of separating us from, them - my tribe from those other tribes out there.

If this weren't so tribal organization would never have happened. Ironically perhaps, we organized into bands, tribes, etc. as a way to increase our ability (as individuals) to survive and compete in the environment with other humans. Organizing into collective groups was a way to separate us from our species as a whole. Tribal societies cooperate with some, usually those with whom we share bonds of extended kinship, as a way to compete with other tribes for control of resources.

I read an interesting book years and years ago titled "Yanomamo: The Fierce People" by Napoleon Chagnon. Really good book about a tribe in the Amazon rainforest. It's a brilliant examination of primitive tribal culture.

A Wikipedia link to "Yanomamo":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya%CC%A7nomam%C3%B6

John
Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I was agreeing with Rick, not arguing against him. Maybe I failed to articulate that?

Dave
Dang! First time I have ever misinterpreted a comment on a bulletin board. We also agree then, you commie pinko.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Tribalism isn't inclusive. It's exclusive, a way of separating us from, them - my tribe from those other tribes out there.

yes but the mechanism that makes tribal bonding so instinctive is survival

I think we are on the same page but I am suggesting that there is nothing at conflict with a one world government (umbrella tribe) and local tribes (state governments) within that we have all sorts of sub groups 9which overlap) right down to localized street gangs or a set of best friends.