Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Smoking ban

Michigan's smoking ban takes effect on the 1 st of May. Obviously I do not agree with it but what can you do.

My question is, does the gooberment have the authority to tell a private club to enforce the ban. One local club, in the town of Royal Oak, is announcing they will not comply. What do you think ?

Grumpy
Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 AM

...But, but, but...It's GOOD for you...Gov't is saving you from yourself...Now, go out & bust yr ass...We have TAXES to collect from you, you filthy peasant !!! Mbwahahahahahaha...
Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 AM

Smoking ban good, Arizona law bad...it's an uplifter thing.

Chas
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

If it is a private club then what they want to do inside, short of murder and such like, is their own business.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Had a smoking law in AZ for years. Soon it will be banned outdoors.

Get ready Dave to be treated like a criminal.

BTW when people are forced to quit smoking they will enact a a higher tax on the few of you who can't quit in order to make up the revenue stream they have come to expect from the smokers.
Bet you money on that fact as I have seen it here.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Here's how it went with the smoking ban in Ohio. During the campaign, they (pro ban folks) swore up and down that private clubs (particularly the VFWs, because of their overall voting power) would be exempt.

It passed handily. But surprise! If you even as a private club have one paid employee, no smoking. Which also covers most of the VFWs.

So screw you vets. (Anyone that goes to VFWs know that they must have a 99.9% smoker rate. At least.)

And OK, so you smoke outside. They can put up a covered outside area, right? Mostly wrong. It can only have 3 sides and must be something like 70 ft away from doors etc. This is Cleveland folks, we have cold winters.

And it's worse than it seems overall. It's the smoking nazis. The two stadiums (that were built with sin tax money) are now completely smoke free, even though they're practically outside.

Fortunately some of the old corner bars, where there's basically only regulars, will give you an ashtray for a buck (they say they toss it in a kitty in case they get fined). I can't imagine that'll last forever though.

It'll get worse before it gets even more worse Grump.

Pete
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Hey Grumpy I don't know if you remember the old Hambone bar from your time down here but they got creative and replaced all their windows with screens and called it an out door smoking area.
The indoor "bar" area is now the little glassed in room back by the commodes. So far they have gotten away with it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Smoking ban good, Arizona law bad...it's an uplifter thing.

Chas
Sooooo. You're saying what? Smoking ban bad, Arizona law good? What's the difference Chas?

Here's the thing. Your rights end where mine begin. You can smoke all you like. But I shouldn't have to breath your smoke. These are tricky. I actually don't know about the smoking thing. It's like the seat belt thing. Should I be free to go out and have a meal without having to breath second hand smoke? Yeah, I guess I should. But in a perfect world there would be places that catered to non-smokers. It really is something the market should take care of- in a perfect world. In reality, I never saw it happen that way. And I do like being able to go out with my kids. So I don't know. I like it, but I'm not sure if it's right.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I have always been a considerate smoker. But your car exhaust is killing me.

"1st smokers.
Then fat people.
Then you."

New Deal era saying

Pete

Last edited by piece-itpete; 04-29-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

In Maryland (or maybe just Montgomery County, MD), the smoking ban in bars and restaurants was justified as an occupational safety and health issue (i.e., not exposing employees to the hazards of second hand smoke). On its face, it had nothing to do with the patrons. That said, as a non-smoker, I'm good with it.