Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you're a one trick pony, you're going to spend a lot of time in the stall waiting for your chance to balance the ball on your nose.

And the best of luck with your son. If he is as intelligent as you, I'm sure he'll find his niche.

Chas
Thanks, but both of the boys are smarter than their old man. You spend enough time learning how to baffle people with BS, you can also baffle them into over-estimating your intelligence. The boys are fortunate to have enough of their momma in them that they will do just fine. (They were lucky enough to get her looks too.)

P.S. nice metaphor.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM

I wouldn't worry too much if he finds something he LIKES, or at least is very good at...Those people rarely ever have worries about finding work. Those IBEW 934 guys, a lot of 'em were journeymen construction electricians, the only time they got much "time off" were when they were between jobs. They'd typically work 7/12 for several months, "Balls to the wall", & then crash for a month or so at home. At least they'd do that when they were younger, to build up seniority & experience....Some experiences...They ALL told me stories of how they'd screw w/the Ironworkers... An' vice-versa... Or riding the "Headache Ball" up & down on a construction site, the damthing would be in free-fall for 90% of the way, & you'd only be hangin' on w/yr arm... Ironies would chug a pint/5th of whiskey right before goin' up on the steel-That was the only way a lot of 'em could work 50, 60, 70 stories up w/nothing between you & the ground but a lot of air...To a green kid right outta college, those tales were unreal...I'm sure some of 'em were embellished a bit, but it didn't matter...I had/have a deep, abiding respect for those type of guys...Hard-livin', hard-workin', hard-partyin'...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I wouldn't worry too much if he finds something he LIKES, or at least is very good at...Those people rarely ever have worries about finding work. Those IBEW 934 guys, a lot of 'em were journeymen construction electricians, the only time they got much "time off" were when they were between jobs. They'd typically work 7/12 for several months, "Balls to the wall", & then crash for a month or so at home. At least they'd do that when they were younger, to build up seniority & experience....Some experiences...They ALL told me stories of how they'd screw w/the Ironworkers... An' vice-versa... Or riding the "Headache Ball" up & down on a construction site, the damthing would be in free-fall for 90% of the way, & you'd only be hangin' on w/yr arm... Ironies would chug a pint/5th of whiskey right before goin' up on the steel-That was the only way a lot of 'em could work 50, 60, 70 stories up w/nothing between you & the ground but a lot of air...To a green kid right outta college, those tales were unreal...I'm sure some of 'em were embellished a bit, but it didn't matter...I had/have a deep, abiding respect for those type of guys...Hard-livin', hard-workin', hard-partyin'...
To tell you the truth, I'm not really worried about either of the boys doing OK. The older one is in something he is really passionate about, and which should provide a few job opportunities. He gets his BS in physics next year, and is aiming for a MS after that. The younger one has rediscovered his work ethic and has decided that he is in college because HE wants to be there. If he decides to join his GF in the teaching field, they will get to enjoy the lifestyle that comes with having summers off. They know that they do their folks proud, and they feel pretty good about that too. Just get me going on my favorite subject, and I end up bragging to much. Sorry.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM

...And like I've never bragged on Bethany ?!? An' she ain't even MY kid...Well, she IS, too, in my heart anyhow, & that's what matters...
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

For the record, I did not blame the unions, I pointed out a fact.

Management, unions, somehow we priced ourselves out of the market.

We don't have to have pay parity with the cheap countries, only cost per unit parity (we've got to be more productive than those slackers!)

pETE
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

We did not price ourselves out of the market, some dumbass decided that we should allow stuff produced by near slave labor into the country without tarriffs.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Area Man

...and now wonders why so many can't even afford the foreign goods.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We did not price ourselves out of the market, some dumbass decided that we should allow stuff produced by near slave labor into the country without tarriffs.
Oh.

You mean the people who buy the products and voted for that arrangement, right?

You know. Us? John Q?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
They got paid a lot of lobbyist cash to be dumbasses.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Oh.

You mean the people who buy the products and voted for that arrangement, right?

You know. Us? John Q?
Truth be told some products I really can't find an American made version of anywhere.

Sad story I put a few bucks in the DAV guys kettle at Frys and he hands me a little American flag. On the way to the truck I take a better look at it. Yep made in Taiwan.