Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:43 PM
Admin

Rest in peace Bob Moses

'Bob Moses, 1960s civil rights leader who saw math as road to equality, dies at 86' WP

"Bob Moses, a towering but self-effacing leader of the civil rights movement who, after enduring beatings and jailings to register Black voters in Mississippi in the 1960s, picked up the civil rights torch 20 years later by founding the Algebra Project, a math education initiative aimed at rural and inner-city students, died July 25 at his home in Hollywood, Fla. He was 86.

Ben Moynihan, the director of operations for the Algebra Project, confirmed the death to the Associated Press.

Bespectacled, owlish and bearing a master’s degree in philosophy from Harvard, Mr. Moses was an unlikely front-line activist — much less an obvious candidate to quit his comfortable prep-school teaching job in the Bronx in 1960 and immerse himself in the most violently segregationist precincts of Mississippi.

A janitor’s son raised in New York public housing, he showed precocious talent for academic fields involving logic, especially mathematics and philosophy. He found kinship with Quaker friends in college, and he submerged himself in the writings of Albert Camus, the French-Algerian Nobel laureate whose books explored universal questions of human existence and justice." WP

Continued - https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dc6_story.html

Rest in peace, sir.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:02 PM

R.I.P.

Started the hard job that needs to be finished.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 AM
Jigsawed

RIP Sir. You will always be remembered as a stalwart in the civil rights movement, and education.

You are one of the few who really understood some of the basic struggles in the class room.