Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Abby Normal

40th Anniversary of Title IX

Thanks to all those that opened the doors to my and your daughters.

Both my daughters played sports as a result and it has been and continues to be a very positive experience for both.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

There is an upside and a downside to Title IX. One of the best examples of the downside is the decimation of collegiate wrestling programs. Here's a long and interesting treatise on Title IX from the author John Irving (The World According to Garp):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/op...ted=all&src=pm
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
There is an upside and a downside to Title IX. One of the best examples of the downside is the decimation of collegiate wrestling programs. Here's a long and interesting treatise on Title IX from the author John Irving (The World According to Garp):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/op...ted=all&src=pm
Maybe his son is a wrestler.

It is a shame one sport takes more hits than another but this is a very superficial article.

What "Garp" fails to address is that most women's programs are not fully funded where as virtually all men's programs are.

85 d1 football scholarships per school all fully funded.

14 per D1 school for women's soccer, few fully funded.

"Garp" can go cry me a river.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Maybe his son is a wrestler.

It is a shame one sport takes more hits than another but this is a very superficial article.

What "Garp" fails to address is that most women's programs are not fully funded where as virtually all men's programs are.

85 d1 football scholarships per school all fully funded.

14 per D1 school for women's soccer, few fully funded.

"Garp" can go cry me a river.
Women's soccer is better off than men's D1 baseball with 11.5 per school. I'll let you in on a little secret: It's all about money. Accordingly, football and basketball have the scholarships because they generate the revenue for things such as women's soccer.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Women's soccer is better off than men's D1 baseball with 11.5 per school. I'll let you in on a little secret: It's all about money. Accordingly, football and basketball have the scholarships because they generate the revenue for things such as women's soccer.
This is why sports other than football and BB are generally not fully funded and wrestling suffers so.

Are you suggesting that profitable sports are the only sports that college's should be offering scholarships for?

I could understand this.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Abby Normal

Here Pat.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/title-ix/79...emy-men-sports

From ESPNW.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
This is why sports other than football and BB are generally not fully funded and wrestling suffers so.

Are you suggesting that profitable sports are the only sports that college's should be offering scholarships for?

I could understand this.
No, but I'm suggesting that a sport (or sports, if the school is both a football and basketball power) that pays the freight for everybody else should have more scholarships. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to offer more scholarships to kids who bring money into the school athletic program budget and fund the rest of the sports. For the most part, baseball, swimming, wrestling and soccer scholarships are paid with money earned by the football or basketball teams. Furthermore, more people (students, alumni and parents) are interested in football and basketball than baseball or soccer by several orders of magnitude.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
No, but I'm suggesting that a sport (or sports, if the school is both a football and basketball power) that pays the freight for everybody else should have more scholarships. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to offer more scholarships to kids who bring money into the school athletic program budget and fund the rest of the sports. For the most part, baseball, swimming, wrestling and soccer scholarships are paid with money earned by the football or basketball teams. Furthermore, more people (students, alumni and parents) are interested in football and basketball than baseball or soccer by several orders of magnitude.
So then the problem is the NCAA not Title Ix as i suggested in the link I provided.

Since only women's BB does not lose money on the women's side are you against title IX?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
So then the problem is the NCAA not Title Ix as i suggested in the link I provided.

Since only women's BB does not lose money on the women's side are you against title IX?
I'm not sure. The whole topic of money, scholarships and gender parity in collegiate athletics is indeed a tough nut. All I know is that not everyone is happy about the unintended consequences of Title IX. As for the NCAA, I have many issues with them and this is a relatively minor one from my perspective.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I'm not sure. The whole topic of money, scholarships and gender parity in collegiate athletics is indeed a tough nut. All I know is that not everyone is happy about the unintended consequences of Title IX. As for the NCAA, I have many issues with them and this is a relatively minor one from my perspective.
I'll tell you something else that further confuses the issue is that "other monies" are often used as a substitute for an athletic scholarship.

Here is what I mean. Two schools discovered my daughter late. They had already used their 2013 scholarship money. Both schools came back a few days later with a full ride offer. This money would have had nothing to do with sport scholarship monies but it would allow the school an extra quality player. This clearly was not that out of the ordinary even if not common.

I'd say if you want to play a sport in college be smart as to where the money is and what you are athletically compatible with. Then be dedicated and you will get one.

If you are 5'6'' and want to play WR at Florida don't bitch about title IX.