Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So, we need to get the politicians - the ones who are direct beneficiaries of the lobbying - to outlaw it? The phrase "snowball's chance..." comes to mind.
At this point, it would take a constitutional amendment.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Limit the funds would be one way to control lobbyists. But now the Corporations have unlimited power to influences policy that will never happen.

On Corzin running his company in the ground, being greedy and rich is not a political party. Just a personal failing that can be a part of capitalism. If he had picked a winner he would be a hero! What is a shame is he is not being hurt like the employees or investors .

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 11-01-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
So, we need to get the politicians - the ones who are direct beneficiaries of the lobbying - to outlaw it? The phrase "snowball's chance..." comes to mind.
No, we need to send the SCOTUS justices on a remedial reading course then they can reverse the decision that said bribery is legal.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
GE and Jeffry is the worst "big" corporation IMHO. They were the last ones to stop doing business with Iran, and then only after getting smacked around some. It really saddens me to see these once great, and ethical, American companies turned into slaves of the penny. When did we Americans decide more cheap crappy stuff was better than a few quality items that served our needs for years (Until needing an overhaul). Whenever it was, it was a terrible day for the good old USA.
GE practically invented outsourcing jobs. Jack Welch the CEO of GE at the time traveled to India in 1990 and realized that most people there spoke English as a second language due to the many years of British rule and the British school systems. In India one does not get to work their way up the economic ladder. They have a caste social system. If you are born poor you will always be poor. So, not only can some of the more middle class Caste members speak English, they will never demand higher wages for working. A win win for GE call centers.

AT&T does the same thing. I had to chat online with Bob from India to order another Uverse set top box for my home. Eventually that got to the Uverse work center six miles from my house and they came out and hooked it up.

The sad thing is I am a contractor and I work full time for AT&T. I could have driven six miles to the WC, picked up the box, and installed it myself. I fix their heat and air. They love me at the Uverse WC.

Don't even get me going on AT&T internal corporate computer support. The minute I get Sally in India, I ask to get escalated to tier 2 support and then I get an American on the line. I can't understand them in India anymore than they can understand a transplanted North Easterner with a Southern accent.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Hell even Will Rogers said "We have the best government money can buy."

By all means eliminate the EPA - Love Canal anyone.
And rivers that catch on fire.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Hmmm....now to pull this thread back on topic....

From this morning's news:

"MF Global Holdings Ltd. collapsed into bankruptcy Monday when a potential buyer bolted over a discrepancy of hundreds of millions of dollars in the beleaguered securities firm's books, people familiar with the matter said.

U.S. regulators are investigating the discrepancy, which relates to money from customers that couldn't be accounted for as MF Global raced to sell itself, according to people with knowledge of the probe. The probe is at an early stage, and it isn't clear if the money is missing or if the inconsistencies relate to sloppy bookkeeping."

It gets curiouser and curiouser....
All I know is I lost more money in one of my retirement investment accounts. Don't know how much yet. I need to contact my stock broker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38bEi8wnXJA
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

Y'all need to do what Florence does, when she has occasion to call customer service she asks where they are (calls are usually recorded "for training purpose") and if they are not in America she demands to speak to someone here. It usually works and also gets the message across.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
All I know is I lost more money in one of my retirement investment accounts. Don't know how much yet. I need to contact my stock broker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38bEi8wnXJA
Don't worry. That's ok. Those good folks on wall street are looking after you!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

Yeah, what is it they say - a rising tide floats all yachts.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
At this point, it would take a constitutional amendment.

Regards,

D-Ray
Perhaps Obie'll pull a FDR and try to pack the Court

Pete