Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You might be sellin' it, but I ain't buyin' it.

Chas
Well it kind of goes along with the idea that all the wage disparity is mainly in New York and Silicon Valley. So OWS won't get much traction in Arkansas or Bugtussel, but then how many wealthy CEOs are there in Arkansas or Iowa or most any Mid Western state? That still does not mean that people in other states disagree with the OWS.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well it kind of goes along with the idea that all the wage disparity is mainly in New York and Silicon Valley. So OWS won't get much traction in Arkansas or Bugtussel, but the how many wealthy CEOs are there in Arkansas or Iowa or most any Mid Western state? That still does not mean that people in other states disagree with the OWS.
We've got some OWS people here in Missouri. Don't know to much about them because they're on Facebook, and I don't do Facebook.

But the best I can tell, they show up for a day or two, get some media coverage, say their piece, then go home.

I'm fairly sympathetic to them, but I like low keyed people. If your argument has merit, you don't need a bullhorn to get it across.

But watching the ones who break the law in an apparent effort to force a confrontation with the police drowns out the more reasonable ones, at least in my eyes.

IMHO, they are doing their cause a disservice by alienating people such as myself, who agree with them in principal, but feel that their tactics outweigh any message they may have.

You are correct that Bugtussell ain't New York City, not by a long shot.

Chas
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

Chas
For which I am sure you are grateful.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
IMHO, they are doing their cause a disservice by alienating people such as myself, who agree with them in principal, but feel that their tactics outweigh any message they may have.

Chas
And Bugtussel likely isn't filled with a bunch of degenerates like NY City, SF Bay Area, Los Angeles (Now a Mexican satellite), and other metropolitan areas. I'm of the notion that large cities attract people that need and want the support of government and that the population density itelf magnifies such desires. They purport to be relatively enlightened, but lack a modicum of self-reliance that is part of country living.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
And Bugtussel likely isn't filled with a bunch of degenerates like NY City, SF Bay Area, Los Angeles (Now a Mexican satellite), and other metropolitan areas. I'm of the notion that large cities attract people that need and want the support of government and that the population density itelf magnifies such desires. They purport to be relatively enlightened, but lack a modicum of self-reliance that is part of country living.
Spoken like a true redneck!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM

The members of the OWS protest are a diverse group with varied agendas to be sure. Much like the protestors during the Vietnam War some were peaceful while other turned to violence. This movement is still finding it's way to express its ideas, and as long as an outlet is available to do so without hindrance should remain peaceful.

But try surprising the message or using extreme measures to stop the protests will only cause people to think violence is an answer.

I have noticed some of the media is clueless on how to handle the story. They keep missing the point on the protest, thinking it is a one dimensional story. Not realizing the complexity of issues people are pissed about. The media wants to keep it simple, a one or two word byline or sound bite.

As one who can remember the protest in the sixties and seventies and how the painting with a broad brush the anti-war protestors was done by others. What everyone needs to remember we all have a dog in this fight! What harm will be done if more attention is given to how the finances are handled that effect us all!

Barney
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Spoken like a true redneck!
Perhaps, it's because I've lived among these city folks and yearn for a more bucolic lifestyle. Their continued and strident hatred of people in what they refer to smugly as "fly over country" and their belief in their intellectual superiority over those in the rural areas is appalling. If you do not follow their twisted idea of liberalism, then you're somehow inept or slow or just plain old stupid. Do you disagree that cities attracted those seeking opportunity and by their population density require more control over their populace?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

As one who can remember the protest in the sixties and seventies and how the painting with a broad brush the anti-war protestors was done by others. What everyone needs to remember we all have a dog in this fight! What harm will be done if more attention is given to how the finances are handled that effect us all!
Barney
Then you realize that those 1960s protests eventually effected change through the system rather than being unabashedly against it like some were during the demonstrations. I certainly desagree with the current administration and will vote agaisnt him. The protesters can also vote for or against anyone that doesn't hold their values. Moreover, they can attempt to convince other; however, they have no right to break the law or impede anyone from enjoying the parks and plazas. They represent nothing more than a mob; like a teenager demonstrating their angst and childishness before hopefully maturing to an adult.

The nominally adult protesters seem to be trying to recapture their salad days of exuberance. Mixed in with these are various groups that seek political advantage or are motivated to profit from the protests either politically or monetarily.

Hey! This does feel the same as the 1960s, but with more techno toys and branded products, but less sincerity and idealism.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Then you realize that those 1960s protests eventually effected change through the system rather than being unabashedly against it like some were during the demonstrations.

Hey! This does feel the same as the 1960s, but with more techno toys and branded products, but less sincerity and idealism.

The protests in 1968 effected the presidential election by getting Nixon in office. An anti current administration vote along with Nixon promising "peace with honor" in Vietnam.

The protest had alot to do with the voting age being lowered. The draft going away along with the war ending. The changes didn't happen over night but when the protest started the opinion of them by the general public was not the same a few years later. Once the facts started to come out and more people were effected by the events.

Barney
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
For which I am sure you are grateful.
That is a fact.

Even Bugtussell is starting to get too big for it's britches. I reckon we've got close to 4,000 souls living in Bugtusell proper.

That's a hell of a lot of people to have in one place.

Chas