Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
To me, the issue is what you do about it, if anything. From a strict cost/benefit analysis in terms of human life and health, I'm inclined to believe that there are better ways to spend billions or trillions of dollars that would have a greater impact upon human life and health than efforts to reduce greenhouse gases (particularly if China and India don't play). That's where the debate should be.
I don't disagree. Any money spent on controlling something that is beyond man's ability to control is either foolhardy, the height of arrogance, or both.

Quote:
It should not be a coordinated effort by the GOP and its enablers at Faux and Talk Radio to discredit climate scientists. These issues should be discussed on their own merits, not by Limbaugh slinging propaganda. We'll see if this study changes the debate.
Your position that the GOP / Fox News / Talk Radio are discrediting climate scientists rings a bit hollow. I think some of the climate scientists, based on their correspondence, were clearly willing to set methodology aside in favor of a political agenda. Science and politics should never mix. Their actions undermined their political and scientific position.

Where the GOP and Dems disagree is not on whether or not there is global warming. The debate is over man's role, or lack thereof, in causing global warming. If man didn't cause it, I suspect there's not much we can do to reverse it. Also, the impact of warming is a related, yet separate, subject of debate. Some global warming zealots were predicting the end of the world (and by some of their estimates the world should have ended by now!). Others suggest that climate change might actually have a net positive impact. Fact is, whether you're studying climate change or the impact of it. I think that we're not yet to the point where - as Broke Obama said - "The debate is over." The case to spend untold billions on the supposed causes of global warming certainly as not yet been made.

Quote:
Do you honestly think Faux or Talk Radio will give any airtime to this news?
Yes. Apparently Richard Muller who headed up the study was on Fox syndicated radio yesterday via Alan Colmes' show.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Apparently Richard Muller who headed up the study was on Fox syndicated radio yesterday via Alan Colmes' show.
Accordingly, Muller's views will fall on deaf ears as no self-proclaimed conservative would listen to Colmes.

And yes, many in the GOP, including some of its Presidential candidates, have said that global warming doesn't exist. Their mentor, Limbaugh, also says it almost daily.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Rush isn't my mentor. But he can be very funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
... If man didn't cause it, I suspect there's not much we can do to reverse it. ...
Even if we did....

Pete
Old 10-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Accordingly, Muller's views will fall on deaf ears as no self-proclaimed conservative would listen to Colmes.

And yes, many in the GOP, including some of its Presidential candidates, have said that global warming doesn't exist. Their mentor, Limbaugh, also says it almost daily.
Wow, we hear things differently. I've certainly heard some of the candidates reject the idea of man made global warming due to lack of evidence.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

On the subject of GOP's denial of science, I offer the following for your entertainment:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...at-s-it-up-to-
Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Resident octogenarian

And while you are there take in the Oakland riots (rioting cops that is)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
On the subject of GOP's denial of science, I offer the following for your entertainment:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...at-s-it-up-to-
That was pretty funny...!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And while you are there take in the Oakland riots (rioting cops that is)
Oakland's not known as a bastion of the GOP. Given the populace there, I have little doubt that the cops had reason for their aggressive action. Last night, San Diego raided the sleeping occupiers at 2:30 AM and booted them out of the area.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Oakland's not known as a bastion of the GOP. Given the populace there, I have little doubt that the cops had reason for their aggressive action. Last night, San Diego raided the sleeping occupiers at 2:30 AM and booted them out of the area.
Let me get this straight - those dastardly folks from Oakland presented such a threat that the cops had to attack them in the middle of the night. But that's OK, because they're not solid citizens one would find in an area dominated by the GOP.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-29-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Let me get this straight - those dastardly folks from Oakland presented such a threat that the cops had to attack them in the middle of the night. But that's OK, because they're not solid citizens one would find in an area dominated by the GOP.

Regards,

D-Ray
The cops kicked them out earlier and they moved to a specified location. They returned to the original area with full knowledge that they would be arrested and started destroying property. The cops were simply doing their job. Oakland can get rather violent quickly. My point was that the response wasn't by some knee jerk reactionary GOPers, but by the liberal city of Oakland. The people at the OWS protests in San Diego, Sacramento, and Los Angeles seem to have attrected most of the homeless. There is nothing wrong with protesting, but when you are acting illegally, pitching a tent and destroying property, then the cops should arrest you. That's what happened in San Diego yesterday. BTW, the OWS crowd are costing busineesses in the downtown area because people seek to avoid the protesters. The busnesses getting hurt are coffee kiosks, eateries, and stores. Sadly, most are small businesses already in peril because of the economy. Here in San Diego people do not seem to care much about the OWS protests.

Note how quickly the folks at moveon.org managed to get their biased video out. There is now too much planning going on IMHO.

Last edited by bhunter; 10-29-2011 at 03:59 AM.