Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Executive Orders

Anyone hear about the Prez issuing some E orders to bypass Congress and save the economy again?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

Good thing someone is doing summat as that crowd of yahoos in Congress won't. They are all too busy drinking Super Grover's Kool Aid, you know, the financial wet dream he had as a teenager.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Anyone hear about the Prez issuing some E orders to bypass Congress and save the economy again?
Executive Orders can be rescinded by an Act of Congress or by denying funding for their implementation. Furthermore, they cannot do something in direct noncompliance with an existing act of Congress. Normally, they represent implementing instructions for laws passed by Congress in which they provide discretionary authority to the Executive for implementation. Presidents have been doing it since 1789.

In case you're of the mistaken impression that Obama does these (or does controversial ones) more than Dubya did, let this list dispel that notion:
http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...-subjects.html

BTW, the most recent EO that was truly controversial was Executive Order 13233, which restricted public access to the papers of Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush, was more recently criticised by the Society of American Archivists and other groups, stating that it "violates both the spirit and letter of existing US law on access to presidential papers as clearly laid down in 44 USC. 2201–07," and adding that the order "potentially threatens to undermine one of the very foundations of our nation." Executive Order 13233 was later revoked by President Obama.

BTW, this revocation by Obama (done by EO) was somehow misinterpreted by some delusional right-wingers (Krazygrrl, for example) to have somehow sealed Obama's Harvard transcript. Go figure.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Not the ones I'm talking about. I haven't researched it but I thought someone here would be on top of it. Something to do with student loans maybe? I'll see what I can find.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Not the ones I'm talking about. I haven't researched it but I thought someone here would be on top of it. Something to do with student loans maybe? I'll see what I can find.
Yep. He just did that recently. The law was written in a manner that gave him the discretion to do it. From what I gather, he just pulled forward the implementation date and changed the maximum monthly payments from 15% to 10% of discretionary income and shortened the length of loan from 25 to 20 years. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but Congress has the authority to overrule should it so choose.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yep. He just did that recently. The law was written in a manner that gave him the discretion to do it. From what I gather, he just pulled forward the implementation date and changed the maximum monthly payments from 15% to 10% of discretionary income and shortened the length of loan from 25 to 20 years. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but Congress has the authority to overrule should it so choose.
Well if you lower the payment, how do you shorten the loan. I think the 20 years is more like a statute of limitations, and if you haven't paid them off by then, they just evaporate (it used to be 25). The math on the 15 to 10 deal works out to what, 10 bux a month for average earners?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Well if you lower the payment, how do you shorten the loan. I think the 20 years is more like a statute of limitations, and if you haven't paid them off by then, they just evaporate (it used to be 25). The math on the 15 to 10 deal works out to what, 10 bux a month for average earners?
Cheap votes aren't they?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

I see no one has mentioned that the average tuition has been rising at 8% per year of late. Partly due to the slash and burn tactics of many GOP governators.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I don't much like it, but I worked evenings and paid out of my hip pocket to go to college. We paid my wife's student loans off before they were due.

Hell, we've paid everybody off before it was due. The house, vehicles, credit cards, government, right on down the line including a couple of really nasty hospital bills.

Now those really frosted my ass. Five bux for a band aid & 10 for an aspirin, but we paid the sumbitches off regardless.

I guess we're just stupid, we've paid our bills, even the one's we didn't intentionally run up.

It's a hard world, and there ain't no free lunch.

Whether you were born on third base and think you've just hit a triple, or born under the bleachers and wrapped in a plastic bag...you're still responsible for your actions.

Don't be sending me the bill.

Chas
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Resident octogenarian

I'm curious as to what the average tuition was back in the day. Since I never went to university I have no idea. Be interesting to compare it to today's fees and see how it works out in inflated dollars.