Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

The new majority

What was once abuse has become standard operating procedure. There was a story on the radio talking about some matter pending before the senate - I don't even remember what the issue was. But what struck me about the story was that the reporter casually mentioned the possibility that the matter would not get the "sixty votes necessary for passage." Why has it become an assumption that the filibuster is standard operating procedure rather than a device to provide closer consideration of particularly critical pieces of legislation? It is just another example of the decline in the credibility of our political system that the abuse of a procedural device is mentioned as if it were SOP. Gaaaa!

Is it any wonder that Congress has an approval rating of 13%?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM

You said it. Pretty frustrating to me too. And we pay these people.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
What was once abuse has become standard operating procedure. There was a story on the radio talking about some matter pending before the senate - I don't even remember what the issue was. But what struck me about the story was that the reporter casually mentioned the possibility that the matter would not get the "sixty votes necessary for passage." Why has it become an assumption that the filibuster is standard operating procedure rather than a device to provide closer consideration of particularly critical pieces of legislation? It is just another example of the decline in the credibility of our political system that the abuse of a procedural device is mentioned as if it were SOP. Gaaaa!

Is it any wonder that Congress has an approval rating of 13%?

Regards,

D-Ray
That's what happens when the country is polarized. Then again, the populace only have themselves to blame for voting the same jackasses in time after time. I seem to recall Obama himself stating how great that filibuster device was way back when.

Here's some numbers:

Democrats 63 successful
Republicans 89 successful

Data from 1991-2008. All figures are rounded to the nearest whole number. "Successful filibusters" are defined as cloture votes in which there were more than 50 but less than 60 yea votes, with repeated votes on the same measure at the same procedural stage excluded.

Of course, today it's worse and I suspect once the GOP takes the Senate it will ratchet up even more.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That's what happens when the country is polarized. Then again, the populace only have themselves to blame for voting the same jackasses in time after time. I seem to recall Obama himself stating how great that filibuster device was way back when.

Here's some numbers:

Democrats 63 successful

Data from 1991-2008. All figures are rounded to the nearest whole number. "Successful filibusters" are defined as cloture votes in which there were more than 50 but less than 60 yea votes, with repeated votes on the same measure at the same procedural stage excluded.

Of course, today it's worse and I suspect once the GOP takes the Senate it will ratchet up even more.
But, if the GOP keeps it up, we will not live long enough to test your hypothesis.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:

You must not be watching what is going on in politics.
When Aiken said that comment about legitimate rape he was being intellectually honest.
That is what many of his type of Republicans believe...but were afraid to say it. Moderate
Americans know what is going on and so do women. Unless the Republicans change what they believe you will not see the Senate going to them.

It is like this thing about disenfranchising the voter through changing the electoral college in an attempt to decrease the power of the Obama coalition. It smells of evil and that is why the Republicans will not be able to win back the Presidency...African Americans, Latinos, women, gays and others get really pissed off when they feel that a political party is trying to take away their vote.

You think that sort of action by the GOP is helping them win back the Senate? You need recognize that what has happened to the Republican Party in California is starting to happen nationwide. Why do you think that Rubio, McCain and Graham are working with Schumer on immigration? They see the writing on the wall. And they are afraid of the never winning the Presidency again.

Hillary and a Latino running mate? It is over for anyone, including Christie. Your only hope is too fat, and Rubio may be Hispanic but his political beliefs are not connecting with Latinos. He has to change.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Admin

Quote:

Here's some numbers:

Democrats 63 successful

Huh? Whazzup, BH? No numbers available past 2008?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
But, if the GOP keeps it up, we will not live long enough to test your hypothesis.

Regards,

D-Ray
BAM!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Huh? Whazzup, BH? No numbers available past 2008?
Oh, they're available. They just don't make his case. Guess what happened in 2009.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 01-29-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You must not be watching what is going on in politics.
When Aiken said that comment about legitimate rape he was being intellectually honest.
That is what many of his type of Republicans believe...but were afraid to say it. Moderate
Americans know what is going on and so do women. Unless the Republicans change what they believe you will not see the Senate going to them.

It is like this thing about disenfranchising the voter through changing the electoral college in an attempt to decrease the power of the Obama coalition. It smells of evil and that is why the Republicans will not be able to win back the Presidency...African Americans, Latinos, women, gays and others get really pissed off when they feel that a political party is trying to take away their vote.

You think that sort of action by the GOP is helping them win back the Senate? You need recognize that what has happened to the Republican Party in California is starting to happen nationwide. Why do you think that Rubio, McCain and Graham are working with Schumer on immigration? They see the writing on the wall. And they are afraid of the never winning the Presidency again.

Hillary and a Latino running mate? It is over for anyone, including Christie. Your only hope is too fat, and Rubio may be Hispanic but his political beliefs are not connecting with Latinos. He has to change.
Obviously, the demographics are with the democrats; however, this country is still relatively evenly divided politically. I'm confident that the democratic party will also self-destruct and another political cycle will result. You lefties were in full celebratory mode before but eventually lost.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Oh, they're available. They just don't make his case. Guess what happened in 2009.

John

The only case is that the democrats liked the filibuster when they were not the majority, including Obama, but now are against it. My point is that it will be increasingly used by both parties.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Obviously, the demographics are with the democrats; however, this country is still relatively evenly divided politically. I'm confident that the democratic party will also self-destruct and another political cycle will result. You lefties were in full celebratory mode before but eventually lost.
It is different this time.