Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:24 PM

We need a major change.

As an expat always looking in to what's going on in my native US I have to stop and wonder as to how US democracy has evolved since the funding fathers. When I analyze the US system vs. the rest of the democratic world I end up thinking that the US is one of the most undemocratic democracies anywhere.

1. Elections in most democracies take between 4-16 weeks at the federal level; in the US it's an ongoing perpetual machine with billions of dollars spent and in turn billions of IOU's. There's enough corruption generated by 4-16 week elections so in the US it must be staggering. The US system encourages lobbyists to a higher degree than elsewhere in the world and this in turn narrows the scope of governance.

2. Americans hold dear their 2nd amendment right to bear arms but they forget to put it in context of when and why it was written. Face it folks the British ain't going to show up at your door with flintlocks. Neither will the Russians or Chinese.

I could go on and on but the first one on above list is the one that needs to be addressed first in my opinion. What's your opinion?
Old 02-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Ready

Oh there are major major reforms needed but there's no clear and easy way to get them done. The red states can and will block progressive constitutional amendments.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:36 PM

The reforms needed will have little chance of ever happening if the present evils lurking at the door are allowed in.
The allowing of the "Q" phenomenon running rampant, unchecked conspiracy theories believed by a uncomfortable percentage. With it appears psyops mind controlling masters at work to undermined our country and for what end can only be guessed.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:31 PM

Yes, I agree that things look really grim at this moment but do you agree that fundamental changes must be made to our structure in order to reverse course. Nobody I'm aware of brings this up in government or the media regardless of their political stripes.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:17 PM

The first change I would like to see is a return to decency. Since when is ok for adults to tweet garbage and call their opponents names? We have to end the bipartisanship where each side digs in their heels and won't consider compromise. It's time our elected officials start acting like adults.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
The first change I would like to see is a return to decency. Since when is ok for adults to tweet garbage and call their opponents names? We have to end the bipartisanship where each side digs in their heels and won't consider compromise. It's time our elected officials start acting like adults.
I'm not saying it's entirely new behavior, but we can thank Newt Gingrich for a lot of the name calling:

"Gingrich encouraged them to go after their enemies with catchy, alliterative nicknames—“Daffy Dukakis,” “the loony left”—and schooled them in the art of partisan blood sport. Through gopac, he sent out cassette tapes and memos to Republican candidates across the country who wanted to “speak like Newt,” providing them with carefully honed attack lines and creating, quite literally, a new vocabulary for a generation of conservatives. One memo, titled “Language: A Key Mechanism of Control,” included a list of recommended words to use in describing Democrats: sick, pathetic, lie, anti-flag, traitors, radical, corrupt."

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...elcome/570832/
Old 02-04-2021, 01:16 PM

When one is lacking a effective argument or plan, then name calling demonizing and conspiracies changing the narrative are the only arrows left in the quiver.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
When one is lacking a effective argument or plan, then name calling demonizing and conspiracies changing the narrative are the only arrows left in the quiver.
Correct! And that's why all of us are getting dragged into it. Just like we do for our kids it's us now that need a 'time out'. So rather then being a part of the problem how can we at Political Chat be part of a solution.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 AM

"...how can we be a part of the solution...."

I've been giving that a lot of thought lately. I'm not coming up with any great ideas that will make a change on a macro level. But, I can make changes in myself which will only impact my little corner of the world, if I'm lucky.

I've never been a Michael Jackson fan, but there are lyrics in one of his songs that makes so much sense to me:

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change
Old 02-07-2021, 11:51 AM

Human, your post number 6 was very informative. Thanks for that.