Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Unless and until we choose to do something about our culture of guns and violence, events such as this are things that we will have to accept as the cost of doing business in a society where even thinking aloud about meaningful gun control is shouted down (just ask Bob Costas). Unfortunately, this has become the new normal.
Thank you.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Really? So when was the last mass killing in Canada and Europe that diid not involve terrorists.

Of course considering that this country was born in violence you are probably right.
Interesting food for thought. Thanks, Rob.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Meanwhile, the Right Wing echo chamber will continue to rant and rave over Benghazi will shouting down anyone who suggests reconsideration of our gun laws.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Area Man

~60 incidences of gun violence in the UK so far this year. (Population ~65,000,000)

(Excluding law enforcement related deaths/injuries.)

~12,000 incidences of gun violence in the U.S. so far this year. (Population ~330,000,000)

(Excluding law enforcement related deaths/injuries.)

Approximately five times the population, but two hundred times the incidences of gun violence.....................................

And, our gun control laws have nothing to do with it? We're just more violent people?

You want to point out what isn't working? What we're doing----isn't working----at all. It's insane.

How long can we go on denying this?

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
So, now when a killer kills....it IS societies fault? Interesting statement to say the least.

Really, are you?

Regards,
Dave
Of course we need to get control over the efficient killing machines that are readily available to anyone with a grudge and a sick mind. But there is something wrong when we are seeing so many examples of people who pay no heed to the lives they are shattering. There are some folks walking around with dead souls. And that is frightening.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Unless and until we choose to do something about our culture of guns and violence, events such as this are things that we will have to accept as the cost of doing business in a society where even thinking aloud about meaningful gun control is shouted down (just ask Bob Costas). Unfortunately, this has become the new normal.
I think politics has something to do with this. You see, the same people who look for tighter gun control also support abortion and want to raise taxes to pay down the debt among other things. Gun control is a powerful political tool for the right..................and a key element to the question of why so many working class folks vote against their own economic interests.

But, I suspect you already know this, Pat.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think politics has something to do with this. You see, the same people who look for tighter gun control also support abortion and want to raise taxes to pay down the debt among other things. Gun control is a powerful political tool for the right..................and a key element to the question of why so many working class folks vote against their own economic interests.

But, I suspect you already know this, Pat.

Regards,
Dave
As you (and others on this board know), I've been a gun owner since middle school (nearly 50 years ), have taught hunter safety, am a NRA Distinguished Expert marksman, and belong to a gun club. However, I'm not in denial about the idiocy of our gun laws.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Of course we need to get control over the efficient killing machines that are readily available to anyone with a grudge and a sick mind. But there is something wrong when we are seeing so many examples of people who pay no heed to the lives they are shattering. There are some folks walking around with dead souls. And that is frightening.

Regards,

D-Ray
Desensitization. Hollywood? Video Games? Isolation/ lack of healthy social interaction? Lots to consider there, I'd say.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
As you (and others on this board know), I've been a gun owner since middle school (nearly 50 years ), have taught hunter safety, am a NRA Distinguished Expert marksman, and belong to a gun club. However, I'm not in denial about the idiocy of our gun laws.
I know, and I'm glad to see that. Unfortunately, millions of American gun owners are still in denial. I'm still waiting for that scale to tip and wondering what sort of monsterous tragedy it will take to tip it.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM

What a tragic event. My heart goes out to all involved.

Hopefully the killers brother can shed some light on what led to this act. Having said that, in defense of gun owners rights, I doubt that the answer will be that the killer bought guns and wanted to try them out. Despite a recent rash of such events I am not convinced that guns are the problem. My hunch is that the problem is related to jealousy or the infinite bandwidth that gives these killers a worldwide audience for their cause. In this case there might not even be a cause. My understanding is that the killer was relatively young and at that stage of life young men can have weird things to prove.

This sucks.