Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'm talking about the whole American exceptionalism notion being sold in the past decade or so by the GOP and their Talk Radio/Fox enablers.
Precisely. I'm beginning to think the phrase "American Exceptionalism" is just code for the phrase, "American Xenophobia".......
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I knew you were kidding bro

That's sad. I visited Newton Falls once. I think the high point was a saggy old covered bridge covered in obscene graffitti

Pete
They've actually had that bridge restored, with money from the state...........
It looks really nice now. They had to have it done twice, because the first contractor ripped them off and disappeared.

BTW,
Thanks for the cash, Pete.

They also put a taller fence and barbed wire around the water tower. Vandals used to climb up there and put graffiti and all sorts of obscenities on that too, so it could be seen for miles........

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post

interesting to note the naked guy has his arm around a sheep. What kind of message does that send?

Dave
rotflmao
Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
They've actually had that bridge restored, with money from the state...........
It looks really nice now. They had to have it done twice, because the first contractor ripped them off and disappeared.

BTW,
Thanks for the cash, Pete.

They also put a taller fence and barbed wire around the water tower. Vandals used to climb up there and put graffiti and all sorts of obscenities on that too, so it could be seen for miles........

Dave
You're welcome

Glad to hear they rebuilt it. The old place seemed to need a boost. I think that area's been harder hit.

Pete
Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Precisely. I'm beginning to think the phrase "American Exceptionalism" is just code for the phrase, "American Xenophobia".......
I consider just a well thought out propaganda campaign. The GOP and their corporate enablers convince their base that things here are as good as they can possibly be and better than anywhere else. This fits with their agenda of doing (and improving) nothing.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I consider just a well thought out propaganda campaign. The GOP and their corporate enablers convince their base that things here are as good as they can possibly be and better than anywhere else. This fits with their agenda of doing (and improving) nothing.
Could be both. One used as a catalyst to faciltate the other.

Dave
Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
You're welcome

Glad to hear they rebuilt it. The old place seemed to need a boost. I think that area's been harder hit.

Pete
Way harder,

Like when congress refused to bailout the steel industry. (Or did the industry decline help? I forget which.)

When I left Newton Falls in July of 1982, the (Official) unemployment rate was 22%. Damn Reagan.

The GM plant in Lordstown is maintaining what little real prosperity is left.
That and the new V&M Star mill, to a much lesser degree.

I'm just sayin'

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Ah yes, walking with carnivorous dinosaurs, that for sure happened and we out lived them with no tools or weapons to speak of.

I'm still wondering, If Adam & Eve had Cain and Able then where did the rest of us all come from? Am I to believe the lord had Eve having sex with her own son and their sons? I read a lot of "begattin" being done but no women in there.

You have the answer, Dave?

Last edited by Rex E.; 07-06-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I never dropped out entirely, I just took to skipping classes and hanging out at the party spots. I barely maintained enough to pass....on test scores. I would skip classes all week long, then take the tests and score very high. It used to drive my parents and teachers nuts. Then my father noticed I would read the entire text book in the first week, or so. The rest of the year, I would screw off, sleep in class or skip as many days as I could.

I wasn't "behind" the class. I was way ahead of most of them and bored with waiting for them to catch up.

I never went to college because of;

A). My grades, low due to attendence and refusal to do much, if any homework.

B). I figured it just be more of the same.

It was a mistake, of course. I think I would have found college much more interesting and engaging. But, instead, I joined the Navy. Which was an invaluable experience in itself. I learned a whole lot about the real world in those days. Things that will stay with me forever, and I am deeply thankfull for that.

I got one of the two right. Should have done both.

Dave
WOW! We really have been down some similar paths. I never skipped a day of school in my life but I may as well have. I was so bored in school that I just could not pay attention. I failed the second semester of English class my freshman year because I was so bored waiting for the rest of the class. Had to go to summer school that summer and guess what, I completed that semester of English in three days with stunning grades. I was in a rural area so there was no A.P. courses offered or I'd have done that.

I skipped the military as the first Iraq war was going on and I couldn't see why we were there, didn't want to support it and was having a hard time walking away from the ladies and the party. These two things led to me not finishing (imagine that) and off to work I went.....