Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:11 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Is Today's Trumpist GOP Fascist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Poor debate tactic 1: refer to facts provided by your debate opponent as "obfuscation". As you're fond of saying, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's not true.

As far as my "ignorance of history", get a clue. In fact, one of Hitler's biggest and earliest fanboys and an alleged anti-semite was none other than Henry Ford. Check this out. And yes, Henry Ford was a Democrat, but he happened to be suspicious of Roosevelt.

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with the Trump GOP and its current descent into and embrace of fascism. Accordingly, obfuscation is indeed the right word to describe it.

Also antisemitism is not remotely partisan. It exists today, to some degree, in both political parties as well as among the unaffiliated. It has existed for centuries and indeed predates the existence of political parties.

Last edited by finnbow; 07-19-2023 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Where is the lie that Dear Leader is likely to be indicted again soon? He said it himself.

As for the fake elector scheme, these were not just some random people. They were leaders of the Michigan GOP (one was also a very close friend of the RNC Chair Ronna MsDaniel) in close coordination with Trump attorney Kenneth Chesebro and Rudy Guiliani.

And Michigan was not the only state where GOP officials were involved in the coup conspiracy. The 84 people from 7 key states (Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) who signed bogus documents claiming that Donald Trump won the 2020 election include dozens of local Republican Party leaders, four current candidates for public office, six current office holders and at least five previous state and federal office holders.

https://www.azmirror.com/2022/06/29/...the-full-list/

In short, authoritarianism is deeply embedded within the leadership ranks of the Trump GOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's easy to miss the uncomfortable when you don't want to look.

Ignorance.jpg

When it comes to the Reich-wing's heroes "Innocent until proven guilty" has become "Innocent no matter what".
Old 07-19-2023, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
As far as my "ignorance of history", get a clue. In fact, one of Hitler's biggest and earliest fanboys and an alleged anti-semite was none other than Henry Ford. And yes, Henry Ford was a Democrat, but he happened to be suspicious of Roosevelt.
REALLY??? Henry Ford? An anti-Semitic nazi sympathizer? WHO KNEW??? Thanks so much for sharing your expertise, Mikey.

And yes...we are more than willing to admit that there are racist, bigot, anti-Semitic, sexist, asshole Democrats.* Perhaps one of these days you will admit that there are some asshole Republicans...BUT I AIN'T HOLDING MY FUCKING BREATH.

*Like the 9 assholes who have decided that Israel is a "racist state." Wanna know who they are Mikey? Here's who the Democrats who voted against the US House support of the State of Israel Resolution they are the usual suspects...

Ocascio-Cortez
Tlaib
Omar (we have known about anti-Semitic Omar for a long time)
Bowman
Bush
Carson
Ramirez
Pressley

Pramila Jayapal has already walked back her "Israel is a racist state" comment by voting for the Pro-Israel US House Resolution. Which says only that Jayapal doesn't have the guts to stand up for things she really believes.

So...go ahead Mikey...tell us all about what flatulently oozing assholes Gaetz, Green, Boebert and the other 144 Republicans in the US House who voted to reject the 2020 Electoral College vote are. I can't fucking wait.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
So...go ahead Mikey...tell us all about what flatulently oozing assholes Gaetz, Green, Boebert and the other 144 Republicans in the US House who voted to reject the 2020 Electoral College vote are. I can't fucking wait.
You mean those who blame George Soros for all the problems in the world (other than the Jewish Space Laser being pinned on Rothschild) might be antisemitic? Say it ain’t so, Ike.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Also I guess you missed the Dear Leader recently announced plans to consolidate power in the presidency if he wins, not to mention the news of indictments of your fellow travelers in Michigan (and the pending indictment of Trump) for their respective roles in the coup attempt.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/17/u...lans-2025.html
I just want to confirm that I don't disagree with this in any way, finn.

But right know, I just gotta say, that maybe the only thing that will keep this country afloat is a benevolent despot for eight years. Certainly dangerous, but I fear this is how bad it is in this country right now. And it's on the people, not the politicians.

It looks more and more like Joseph de Maistre was right when he said...

Last edited by Ike Bana; 07-19-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:49 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I just want to confirm that I don't disagree with this in any way, finn.

But right know, I just gotta say, that maybe the only thing that will keep this country afloat is a benevolent despot for eight years. Certainly dangerous, but I fear this is how bad it is in this country right now. And it's on the people, not the politicians.
It is indeed a well-known belief that a benevolent dictator may be the best possible form of government. However, dictators, even if they start out benevolent, rarely remain so (the deceased Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore is the only exception I can think of).

Also, who defines benevolent? A significant portion of this country believes Trump was benevolent while many others strongly believe he was malevolent (I am obviously in the latter category).

In the words of Winston Churchill, democracy is the worst form of government - except for all the others that have been tried. IOW, democracy is inherently noisy, confusing and messy and can lead to a clamoring for an authoritarian state. But the results will almost certainly be worse than the democracy it replaces. And Trumpism is proof-positive of this.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:10 AM

People vote with their emotions unchecked, logic and reason is never in play.

Take the case of DJT, the most recent example. In his four years in office he has amply demonstrated that he cannot put together a credible cabinet nor can govern, and actually in his case, he could not even be bothered to govern. So why would anyone vote for him? I keep hearing Trump's policies and what are they other than anti-immigrant and tax cuts for the wealthy?
Old 07-19-2023, 10:36 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
People vote with their emotions unchecked, logic and reason is never in play.

Take the case of DJT, the most recent example. In his four years in office he has amply demonstrated that he cannot put together a credible cabinet nor can govern, and actually in his case, he could not even be bothered to govern. So why would anyone vote for him? I keep hearing Trump's policies and what are they other than anti-immigrant and tax cuts for the wealthy?

Government-sponsored ChristoFascism is his most appealing policy, emulated in
FL, TX, TN and elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:40 AM

'Active club' hate groups are growing in the U.S. — and making themselves seen
https://www.npr.org/2023/07/19/11881...ub-hate-groups

Friends of yours, Whell?
Old 07-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Professor at the Fletcher School of International Affairs:

Donald Trump Wants to be a Toddler Dictator. A Lot of Other Republicans Are Fine With That.

Trumps grasp of foreign policy remains that of a small child with poor impulse control, oppositional tendencies, and severe knowledge deficits.

Trumps foreign policy tantrums, power grabs, destruction of government organizations, evisceration of political norms, and cowing of the GOP establishment illuminate the awesome scope of the modern President’s powers. If the goal is to destroy rather than create, then even a Toddler in Chief exercises considerable power.

Nothing in the ensuing years suggests that Trump has matured in any way whatsoever. He has succeeded, however, in dragging most of the GOP down to his level of immaturity. Which means that if he gets elected in 2025, he will not just epitomize immature leadership; he will epitomize destructive, super-empowered immature leadership.

https://danieldrezner.substack.com/p...o-be-a-toddler

I cannot wait for Whell to argue the opposite.

Last edited by finnbow; 07-19-2023 at 01:10 PM.