Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Area Man

1st Amendment facing challenge in NC.

Here we go again. The US Constitution ONLY applies to the Federal Government? A State can create a Theocracy if they so desire?

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...1&e=b6712cf0bc

What is going on in this country? Are Christians in North Carolina really this afraid of competing cults? (.....Oh, sorry, I meant to say "religions", my bad.....)

I don't get how anyone can think that the US Constitution protects individual rights and then support a law that clearly violates an individuals right to worship (Or not) as they see fit at the state level.

I thought conservatives regarded such rights as "God given"? In fact there was some Conservative NRA hack going on about the "God-given right to defend oneself" using this very argument on t.v. recently. Well, if "God" gave you the right to choose your own spiritual path, or own assault rifles, as you see fit, then how can government at ANY level take that away?

These people are nuts. I'm sorry, but I really do believe that. When anyone in the federal government does so much as say "Holiday Tree" rather than "Christmas Tree", we have to listen to a bunch of noise about religious freedom beng attacked. But, if a state like NC tries to pass a law establishing a state religion........Oh, well, that's just fine and dandy. Non-Christians in NC that don't like it can just go to hell or move to Arizona, f**k'em.

How is this "religious freedom"? Where is the "individuals right to choose" in that?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-03-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Area Man

"Some lawmakers and elected officials think the U.S. Constitution just doesn’t apply to them."

Very true and some of them are the very people who whine, ad nauseum, about Liberals "trampling" the constitution.

Dave
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM

Something needs to be done. Washington/Wall Street is out of control and they own all the communication channels. The structure is totally upside down with Washington running the states. It should be the states going to Washington to hash things out.

North Carolina's legislation will probably go down, but I feel their pain.

I think since the GOP has already locked up the tea party vote they are trying to reach out to those blocs of voters who favor religion based government. Like the Taliban.
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Some State Constitutions once had religious tests for office holders.

I thought the Constitution originally didn't apply to States? I don't know that for sure but if the SC didn't strike down the state tests....

Pete
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Some State Constitutions once had religious tests for office holders.

I thought the Constitution originally didn't apply to States? I don't know that for sure but if the SC didn't strike down the state tests....

Pete
At first the constitution did not apply to the states. The 14th amendment changed that and basicly gives state citizens the same protections from states that they have from the federal government. One of those protections is the 1st amendment.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Norht Carolina's state constitution does not forbid establishment of religion. It merely forbids discrimination based on religion.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Is there anything that wonderful amendment can't do

Pete
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

14th is a big one. No doubt.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM

The 14th amendment for real. Check out the handwriting. It's perfect. I miss handwriting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Pg1of2_AC.jpg