Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Merrylander...you have to admit that from what you and I know about the depression era and beyond...many people literally died because their pride kept them from... as they put it...taking hand outs.
Remember your lard sandwiches? So while I feel some of the video was distasteful...I understand the proud part. And you can still find people out there who feel like that.

I don't knock people down for being poor or uneducated. Sometimes what they say makes more sense than a college professor's class. And money doesn't sway them from the truth.
We had "dripping" sandwiches from the lard and jelly that formed on the pork roast pan and frankly they were delicious.

So how come you and me managed to get educated, we went through that same depression.

We also did not take any handouts.

Mum's comment at dinnertime was "If you don't eat it now you will get it for lunch tomorrow."

Last edited by merrylander; 03-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Merrylander...you have to admit that from what you and I know about the depression era and beyond...many people literally died because their pride kept them from... as they put it...taking hand outs.
Remember your lard sandwiches? So while I feel some of the video was distasteful...I understand the proud part. And you can still find people out there who feel like that.

I don't knock people down for being poor or uneducated. Sometimes what they say makes more sense than a college professor's class. And money doesn't sway them from the truth.
"...many people literally died because their pride kept them from..."

Fools. Sorry but, that's how I see it. If I'm starving and someone offers me a bowl of soup, I'm taking it. If some one nearby wants to starve rather than take the soup becuase he thinks it's immoral, I'll take his. I might even wait for him to drop and take his shoes. Survival trumps pride. Screw that foolishness.

I don't knock anyone for being poor or uneducated either. I knock them for thinking being poor, uneducated, overworked and underpaid is somehow a badge of honor. Those people probably all work for whoever fed them that drivel. And he's probably a billionaire because of it. They're stooges, Painter. Nothing more. What's worse is they drag the rest of us down with them by being so cheap.

Dave
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We had "dripping" sandwiches from the lard and jelly that formed on the pork roast pan and frankly they were delicious.

So how come you and me managed to get educated, we went through that same depression.

We also did not take any handouts.

My father was a miner from the age of seven. When he became disabled I had to leave school at sixteen to help support the family. Long story short...I managed to graduate high school and attend night classes in New York State after my marriage. Bless my hubby...he was very understanding and encouraged me to grow.
I am blessed with a fine family and a thirst for life and learning. As are you Merrylander. That's what it takes I assume... and ambition. Not a good day fellas. So excuse the rants.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

I don't knock anyone for being poor or uneducated either. I knock them for thinking being poor, uneducated, overworked and underpaid is somehow a badge of honor. Those people probably all work for whoever fed them that drivel. And he's probably a billionaire because of it.

Dave
as always, on the money
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"...many people literally died because their pride kept them from..."

Fools. Sorry but, that's how I see it. If I'm starving and someone offers me a bowl of soup, I'm taking it. If some one nearby wants to starve rather than take the soup becuase he thinks it's immoral, I'll take his. I might even wait for him to drop and take his shoes. Survival trumps pride. Screw that foolishness.

I don't knock anyone for being poor or uneducated either. I knock them for thinking being poor, uneducated, overworked and underpaid is somehow a badge of honor. Those people probably all work for whoever fed them that drivel. And he's probably a billionaire because of it. They're stooges, Painter. Nothing more. What's worse is they drag the rest of us down with them by being so cheap.

Dave
It just occured to me...Wall Street occupiers! They want what you have! Class envy??
The only difference I can see is... many are educated and are in their minds eye... needy!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
My father was a miner from the age of seven. When he became disabled I had to leave school at sixteen to help support the family. Long story short...I managed to graduate high school and attend night classes in New York State after my marriage. Bless my hubby...he was very understanding and encouraged me to grow.
I am blessed with a fine family and a thirst for life and learning. As are you Merrylander. That's what it takes I assume... and ambition. Not a good day fellas. So excuse the rants.
Very cool.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 AM

Every year I drag ass down to Gallman, Mississippi for my wifes family reunion at the Gallman Baptist church. We were walking around the Gallman cemetery, looking at all the dead Gallmans, one year when one of her cousins proudly pointed out a headstone on a hillside. She told us they just put it up to mark the mass burial graves of their n***er slaves. She was so proud of it. You never see any blacks in Gallman. They stay on their side of the tracks. Segregation is alive and well in Mississippi.

The wealthy whites in Mississippi are doing just fine. My wifes fathers side of the family owns a whole city south of Jackson They even have their own exit sign on I55. I truly dislike Mississippi, but I go every year to remind myself how good I actually have it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
I truly dislike Mississippi, but I go every year to remind myself how good I actually have it.
I kinda like Vicksburg for its beautiful battlefield and a great catfish restaurant. Other than that, most of the rest of the state is a backwater. I am, however, considering a music pilgrimage some time to the Delta (around Clarksdale) for its Blues.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Strange that you wrote that, after I got into computer programming I could see a road ahead. My first wife complained, saying she liked me better when I did not have so much ambition - things kind of went downhill after that.

Much of it came about because the Good Lord blessed me with an overabundace of what Poirot calls "the little grey cells". They are usefull but I really wish they had come with an On Off switch.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I don't think you need to be excused painter.

Pete