Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
And make a lot of issues for democrats to complain about and pander for votes while slaying the supposed cold hearted capitalists. I question the validity of the assertion that home ownership makes for a better citizen in today's urban oriented society.
Never said it did, good citizenship has more to do with inner values. Sort of a value people and use things, not value things and use people attitude.

As to why the illegals come here, probably to escape the narcos, life is pretty cheap down there of late.

As to pandering for votes, the Goopers never do that, now do they.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Given the plight of most people on this earth "working poor people" in the U.S. aren't going to get a lot of sympathy. I see working poor everyday in San Diego, They are still living comparatively good lives compared to say a hundred years ago. Life expectancy higher, infant mortality lower, working time substantially less, and greater leisure. If opportunity is so unavailable here, then why do our friends from the South continually come across the border?
I guess it depends on your frame of reference. By several measures, we are considered the richest country in the world. Yet, the amount of poverty and hunger, even among the (under)employed is shameful. If you compare our situation with "our friends from the South," our country, top to bottom, looks pretty good with respect to the distribution of resources among our citizens. Compared to other First World industrialized nations, not so much.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I guess it depends on your frame of reference. By several measures, we are considered the richest country in the world. Yet, the amount of poverty and hunger, even among the (under)employed is shameful. If you compare our situation with "our friends from the South," our country, top to bottom, looks pretty good with respect to the distribution of resources among our citizens. Compared to other First World industrialized nations, not so much.
But we are not First World anymore - welcome to Baghdad on the Potomac

(Potomac Pnobscott, Piscataway - how come we got the Indian with the speech impediment?)
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Given the plight of most people on this earth "working poor people" in the U.S. aren't going to get a lot of sympathy. I see working poor everyday in San Diego, They are still living comparatively good lives compared to say a hundred years ago. Life expectancy higher, infant mortality lower, working time substantially less, and greater leisure. If opportunity is so unavailable here, then why do our friends from the South continually come across the border?
Yes, I was at the corner 7-11 buying gas yesterday when I saw the clerk roll up in brand new Bentley decked out in mink and diamonds. She looked a lot different once she changed into her uniform and started selling Blunts and 40s of Colt.......................... If were seeing that, we must whacked out on Oxycontin, because Limbaugh sees the same thing.

Our friends from the South come here to do the work that cheapskate employers don't want to pay real wages for.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I just finished watching "Inside Job." The incestuous relationships between the political class, regulators, investment banks, rating agencies and academia is shameful. There should be dozens of these clowns in prison, stripped of all assets.

Though this film certainly has a point-of-view, it's treatment and coverage of the economic collapse doesn't spare the rod on any of the miscreants involved in this mess. Those who haven't seen it should.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I just finished watching "Inside Job." The incestuous relationships between the political class, regulators, investment banks, rating agencies and academia is shameful. There should be dozens of these clowns in prison, stripped of all assets.

This is what I have been preaching.