Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I think that's summin else, boba
The Pink Slime? But I thought Romney was behind that stuff?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'll never forget the day Dad said my brother and I were too big to whip any more......
We both got punched in the jaw, and believe me, we deserved it. I do believe that was the last physical disciplinary action he ever had to take.
I seem to recall reading something about Right Wingers and authoritarian parents vs. Liberals and nurturing parents.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The Pink Slime? But I thought Romney was behind that stuff?
Romney is that stuff.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'll never forget the day Dad said my brother and I were too big to whip any more......
We both got punched in the jaw, and believe me, we deserved it. I do believe that was the last physical disciplinary action he ever had to take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I seem to recall reading something about Right Wingers and authoritarian parents vs. Liberals and nurturing parents.

John
My Dad was a victim of his own successes - a liberal Democrat with five sons and three daughters. Early experiences may have played a factor. Serving under Gen. Patton in WW2 may have had a bearing on his notions of discipline just a little bit! Some Golden Glove aspirations may have had something to do with it too.Mainly it was a matter of putting down insurrections at every turn of puberty in the tribe, over and over again... Heh, heh. Patience of Job? We all feared and pushed back against him and probably deserved every punishment meted out. We love ya Dad! Thanks for not killing any of us! We all stood up at his 70th and serenaded him with Teach Your Children by CSNY.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Area Man

My father, an FDR Democrat, only hit me once--with his belt. ( I called my Mother a "bitch".) Any other time, he had much more inventive ways of punishing us with hard labor. I had to scrape and repaint the entire house for coming home drunk on my 17th birthday.

Mom dished out beatings frequently, sometimes for no reason at all. Of course, she was a Republican and, at the time, deeply religious.

Dave
Old 07-10-2012, 02:34 AM

Ah, yes - Dad. He was a blue collar card carrying union member Democrat. Also one of the most racist, anti-semitic and homophobic people I've ever known. More a function of his time than anything else I suspect. By and large a good father though. He and corporal punishment were old friends. The first time he ever knocked me on my ass was when I was 3. When I got older over the years he took his belt to me probably a total of 3 times all of which were memorable.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

This all sure explains why we're a bunch of social miscreants.

Pete
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Loyal Opposition

I must a been a pretty boring kid. I wasn't spanked after first grade. I didn't really cause my folks grief, and I had a pretty loose rein. Part of it was having four older brothers to break them in.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Ah, yes - Dad. He was a blue collar card carrying union member Democrat. Also one of the most racist, anti-semitic and homophobic people I've ever known. More a function of his time than anything else I suspect.
The times and your dad's station in life. After emancipation black Americans became serious competition for low wage blue collar jobs, willing to work for less. Still more competition came in the form of a huge rush of immigration from Eastern Europe. It's a lot of the reason for the growth of the Klan in the North and the Know Nothings everywhere. It's also why the anti-immigrant sentiment has grown so much these days in the face of a recession.

John
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM

My dad grew up in Revere, Massachusetts and moved to Ohio when the assembly plant in Mass moved. He was a member of the UAW and a devout Southern Baptist. I never heard him say one racist thing my whole life. I never really thanked him for that and I should have.