Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Area Man

At anyrate,

My point in the last sentence of the OP was that under the "Welfare Capitalism" model, it would appear that some of these large corporations got generous voluntarily. (Albeit with less than desirable caveats.) Then later attempted to reneg, bringing labor troubles upon themselves, IMO.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
So, how do we reconcile very real human needs without sacrificing human dignity in the process?
Dave
Easy, peasy-
the last thing you want to do is let big business decide what is best for the country. Those same corporations that had the well spun story of being paternalistic were trying to break up any organizing that was going on, by any means available. Not to mention the Social-ist movement that was raging in response to the Jay Goulds, Rockefellers, Carnegies and Mellons rapacious behavior of the 1880's. The Gilded Age was nothing but hardship and starvation for most of the country.

Sadly it takes a tremendous amount of suffering for the general public to wake up and smell the stench. What's really tragic is that we have to go through it all over and over again every few generations. Big Money gets to edit the history books is how I'm starting to see it.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

When I see the arguments put forth by the righties I can only conclude that the Koch Brothers and their ilk have done a great job of brainwashing. The Corporations already own our government and the Robert's court. We may as well just get used to it.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-18-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Easy, peasy-
the last thing you want to do is let big business decide what is best for the country. Those same corporations that had the well spun story of being paternalistic were trying to break up any organizing that was going on, by any means available. Not to mention the Social-ist movement that was raging in response to the Jay Goulds, Rockefellers, Carnegies and Mellons rapacious behavior of the 1880's. The Gilded Age was nothing but hardship and starvation for most of the country.

Sadly it takes a tremendous amount of suffering for the general public to wake up and smell the stench. What's really tragic is that we have to go through it all over and over again every few generations. Big Money gets to edit the history books is how I'm starting to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
When I see the arguments put forth by the righties I can only conclude that the Koch Brothers and their ilk have done a great job of brainwashing. The Corporations already own our government and the Robert's court. We may as well just get used to it.
Sadly, you are both spot on, IMO. Although, every now and then........

One night I sat down at the lunch table with two young Dudes in their twenties. There on the Corporate Orwellian telescreen were the usual right-wing Fox piglets running their mouths. I asked the two young gentlemen, both college students working to make their way through school, "So, what do you guys make of that?", glancing towards the screen.

"They're just trying to make slaves of us all.", was one response.

"Romney doesn't care about making money for anyone but Romney. Isn't it obvious?", was the other.

Maybe there is hope for the future?

But, the damage is so deep, it will take a long time.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If a corporation, a free association of individuals, cannot speak as they see fit, then no organization is safe from government regulation of speech. I think watching everyone scurry is extremely entertaining Wait till one of the new players says something really, really stupid.

Pete
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
If a corporation, a free association of individuals, cannot speak as they see fit, then no organization is safe from government regulation of speech. I think watching everyone scurry is extremely entertaining Wait till one of the new players says something really, really stupid.

Pete
A corporation is a "free association of individuals"? Pete that is the biggest laugh I have had all week.

Speak all they want, they should not be allowed to buy elections. I don't know what the Roberts court has been smoking but they sure are not Camels.

Here is a thought, if a corporation is a person then run one for Congress.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
A corporation is a "free association of individuals"? Pete that is the biggest laugh I have had all week.

Speak all they want, they should not be allowed to buy elections. I don't know what the Roberts court has been smoking but they sure are not Camels.

Here is a thought, if a corporation is a person then run one for Congress.
Or sentence one to execution in the next wrongful death case.

The whole notion is absurd on it's face. And it is NOT designed to advance the wishes of every employee collectively, it is designed to advance the wishes of management and NO the the two are NOT always the same.

That's ridiculous.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
This where you are wrong. My employer does not speak for me, only I do.

Just because I work for someone, does not automatically mean I agree with whatever that companies views are. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there are some issues in which our views are polar opposites.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Then unions, nonprofits, any group at all should be silenced. One thing about freedom, it levels the playing field, even if it's scary.

Pete
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Admin

C'mon now, bud. Freedom isn't a 'free for all'. There's got to be some rules. Pitting unions against big business is like me whipping out my Schrade Oldtimer pocketknife at a gunfight. We know how that will end, poor stiff crazy Bob layin' in a ditch!