Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Republicans Are All Talk...Again!

So much for Paul Ryan. Time to throw every damn incumbent Republican out. I hate Boehner!
http://www.businessinsider.com/repub...billion-2011-2
Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Does this surprise you at all? If so, you didn't read my predictions. Exactly what I said was going to happen. Thing is, it's not that they don't want to. It's that there's nothing to cut. Touch the untouchable and you'll never get elected. We want the programs, we just don't want to pay for them. Republicans are in a tight spot because they've been promising for 30 years that you can have it both ways. Look where it's gotten us.

But, if anyone mentions taxes, they can't get elected either. Cut the budget, just don't cut any of the programs *I* want. What? You want to raise taxes!?!?

It's not their fault. It's your fault.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'll be surprised if the cuts even amount to $32 billion. Unless and until they cut Medicare, Social Security and Defense, it's all nibbling very lightly around the edges. And for each dollar they cut from the precious three, the should raise taxes an equivalent amount.

It's time for us to take our bitter medicine.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

They promised $100 Billion in cuts. They won in a landslide and they pull this. I don't get it. I think the country is ready for a little pain...but not this much. The Tea Party will start to exterminate these frauds today.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
They promised $100 Billion in cuts. They won in a landslide and they pull this. I don't get it. I think the country is ready for a little pain...but not this much. The Tea Party will start to exterminate these frauds today.
I hate to break the news to you, but I don't think your Tea Party compatriots will have either the common sense or the energy to do anything. You've been played IMHO.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Area Man

Quote:
It's because they're full of shit, dj. Always have been. And the Tea Party would be no different once they have to face the same mess. Have you forgotten how many of your TP candidates are now in office (As Republicans)? And what has come of it? Zip. Nada. Zero. The Tea Party is BS too. They won a bunch of elections for the GOP and were then promptly tossed back into the tool box. Sorry, but I believe this is the sad truth. I could be wrong, but I really don't think so.

Dave
Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
That was a landslide by American terms??? How many incumbents got kicked out?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
So much for Paul Ryan. Time to throw every damn incumbent Republican out. I hate Boehner!
http://www.businessinsider.com/repub...billion-2011-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
It's because they're full of shit, dj. Always have been. And the Tea Party would be no different once they have to face the same mess. Have you forgotten how many of your TP candidates are now in office (As Republicans)? And what has come of it? Zip. Nada. Zero. The Tea Party is BS too. They won a bunch of elections for the GOP and were then promptly tossed back into the tool box. Sorry, but I believe this is the sad truth. I could be wrong, but I really don't think so.

Dave
I love it. There were plenty of posts on this forum chiding the right for having expectations of Obama that were too high after he was in office for 2 years, while he had majorities in the house and the senate. The Republicans have had control of a single house for 5 weeks, and its time to pronounce failure?

Let's see. The new Repubs weren't even seated in the House yet, but they got the Prez to blink on extending the Bush era tax cuts, while also dopping SS taxes 2% for a year. They got the Prez to come off of the stupid idea that we could somehow repatriate the inmates at Gitmo so they could be processed through their home countries legal system, since their own governments either don't want them, or release them so they can return to the jihadist battlefield. The Dems were still clinging to the idiotic 1099 provisions in Health Care Reform, but by election time they were starting to change their tune on that because of pressure from the right. Finally the Prez reversed field on that issue in the State of the Union address because the Dems wanted to throw a bone to the Repubs to forestall Boehner and company from sending up bills that will attempt to dismantle Health Care Reform one brick at a time.

If that's "Zip Zero Nada", I'm wondering what your definition of progress is?

Regarding the budget, its funny that in prior sessions of Congress where the left's objective was to push back against budget reductions, if a government budget line item were slated to grow at 10%, and was then reduced to 5%, the Dems referred to this as a "budget cut". The article linked above suggests that budgeted dollars slated to be spent were left unfunded, and will remain so in the new Congress, but in this Congress, that's not a budget cut. Do the rules on the left change based on spin requirements?

Last edited by whell; 02-09-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I love it. There were plenty of posts on this forum chiding the right for having expectations of Obama that were too high after he was in office for 2 years, while he had majorities in the house and the senate. The Republicans have had control of a single house for 5 weeks, and its time to pronounce failure?

Let's see. The new Repubs weren't even seated in the House yet, but they got the Prez to blink on extending the Bush era tax cuts, while also dopping SS taxes 2% for a year. They got the Prez to come off of the stupid idea that we could somehow repatriate the inmates at Gitmo so they could be processed through their home countries legal system, since their own governments either don't want them, or release them so they can return to the jihadist battlefield. The Dems were still clinging to the idiotic 1099 provisions in Health Care Reform, but by election time they were starting to change their tune on that because of pressure from the right. Finally the Prez reversed field on that issue in the State of the Union address because the Dems wanted to throw a bone to the Repubs to forestall Boehner and company from sending up bills that will attempt to dismantle Health Care Reform one brick at a time.

If that's "Zip Zero Nada", I'm wondering what your definition of progress is?

Regarding the budget, its funny that in prior sessions of Congress where the left's objective was to push back against budget reductions, if a government budget line item were slated to grow at 10%, and was then reduced to 5%, the Dems referred to this as a "budget cut". The article linked above suggests that budgeted dollars slated to be spent were left unfunded, and will remain so in the new Congress, but in this Congress, that's not a budget cut. Do the rules on the left change based on spin requirements?
I'm certainly glad the 1099 provision is gone. While I'm not positive that the Repulicans can take 100% credit for this, I suspect that if the Democrats had maintained their status during the last election it would still be policy.

Chas
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Sort of like the Republican use of the term "reform" when they plan to eliminate something.