Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Being one who has always cared for the less fortunate, should you run out of your own beer, I'll fix you up with some of my cheap whiskey.

Which is why I have cheap whiskey in the first place. Some of the unfortunates of my congregation have felt the need to tithe.

They drink my Woodfords and replace it with Old Charter...because they can't tell any difference. Thank God they don't offer up Old Mill Lite!!!

Chas
LMAO I have tears in my eyes. 'need to tithe' ROFL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Hello Pete, Pleased to meet you as well !

While I do not hold meetings, I have found individuals with very similar beliefs as I, and that is troubling ! Now I am no longer unique !

Just think aboult all the decisions that I would need to make as the leader of a new religion. I might have to translate my own Bible, set up accurate dates for my religious holidays, and the list goes on and on... I think that I will just keep my congregation small, me

But it has been surprising to find others that have similar beliefs as I ?

Bill
I don't know. Back when I saw the 'Dead in concert I was stuck by how many of my friends I met there - except they weren't the people I knew. I even met a person like myself. Very strange, like there are a kinda set number of templates with perhaps a list of options.

Or maybe they just attract weirdos

Holidays are a good example of how people do have that drive for ceremony & pomp. Wasn't it Paul who said it's better not to celebrate them?

And our current societies religion of reason and humanism? Holy moly, haven't they read a history book or newspaper in their life?

Pete
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

The Smithsonian recently acquired Jefferson's Bible, all 84 pages long. He went through the King James version and extracted what he liked and did a cut and paste job.

What people seem to forget is that the bible was written by men (well maybe Ruth wrote her own section) it was not faxed down from above. Then it got translated by more men, and selectively edited by Constantine's flunkys, so there it is.

Personally we have found that to organized religion the 'organization' has become more important than the message, so we do not bother attending any church. Since I was raised attending a 'Union" church and my wife taught by nuns, we might have difficulty finding one church. That Union church had nowt to do with the AFL/CIO it was simply that the town was too small to have Anglican (God's frozen people), Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. denominations but it mainly followed United Church practices.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-04-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The Smithsonian recently acquired Jefferson's Bible, all 84 pages long. He went through the King James version and extracted what he liked and did a cut and paste job.

What people seem to forget is that the bible was written by men (well maybe Ruth wrote here own section) it was not faxed down from above. Then it got translated by more men, and selectively edited by Constantine's flunkys, so there it is.
Having attended Baptist churches for years with my ex, their view is that the Bible, is divinely inspired, and the translations up to the King James are perfect and infallible, and literally the word of God.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Having attended Baptist churches for years with my ex, their view is that the Bible, is divinely inspired, and the translations up to the King James are perfect and infallible, and literally the word of God.
Hello Bigerik,

I started off with great FAITH, but wanted to understand the whys and wherefores of the Bible and the teachings of the religion as well. So religions just teach one thing, and practice another. And some religions don't even try to pretend that they follow all of the teachings of the Bible, or the Ten Commandments, or their respective Holy Book ?
And they explain this with FAITH, or Gods directions to the founder of the religion ? DA!

So I went off and read the Bible several times for my own gratification, to try to better understand the 80% of the Bible that they never seem to touch on ?
Needless to say, my education lead me to many questions and a different point of view.

So here I am, with an understanding of the read Bible ? Then I went into every book on Christianity to seek the answers, only to find none ? So I went on to understand the origins of Christianity to better understand all of this, and let me tell you, too much knowledge can be very confusing ! Because the deeper I went, the more questions I had ?

So I am just curious to see if their is anyone out there that has had a similar experience ?

Bill
Old 01-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Hello Bigerik,

I started off with great FAITH, but wanted to understand the whys and wherefores of the Bible and the teachings of the religion as well. So religions just teach one thing, and practice another. And some religions don't even try to pretend that they follow all of the teachings of the Bible, or the Ten Commandments, or their respective Holy Book ?
And they explain this with FAITH, or Gods directions to the founder of the religion ? DA!

So I went off and read the Bible several times for my own gratification, to try to better understand the 80% of the Bible that they never seem to touch on ?
Needless to say, my education lead me to many questions and a different point of view.

So here I am, with an understanding of the read Bible ? Then I went into every book on Christianity to seek the answers, only to find none ? So I went on to understand the origins of Christianity to better understand all of this, and let me tell you, too much knowledge can be very confusing ! Because the deeper I went, the more questions I had ?

So I am just curious to see if their is anyone out there that has had a similar experience ?

Bill
I've heard that some who attend seminary come out with a much less literal understanding of the Bible.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's a great mystery. Even Jesus often spoke in riddles only explained to his closest, and Satan would surely like to confuse us. Most of what we think is probably wrong. After all we are corrupt. I wouldn't put too much stock in books, although I really liked 'The Perversion of Christianity'. The key is remembering the scales are balanced, our sins have been atoned by a blood sacrifice. No translation error or misunderstanding will change that. If the good Lord forgives the big stuff he'll certainly forgive the little stuff.

I think the big question is why, why were we created... there is no answer revealed as of yet.

We'll know soon enough So, 'When you reach, that golden city, friends and loved ones you will see. When the saints, come out to meet you.... Shake my mothers' hand for me.'

Cheers!

Pete
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

We'll know soon enough So, 'When you reach, that golden city, friends and loved ones you will see. When the saints, come out to meet you.... Shake my mothers' hand for me.'

Cheers!

Pete
That reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Area Man

Religion?

I'm pretty sure it all started with a psyhcoactive substance. imbibed by a bunch of story telling old men flapping their stoned tongues at wide eyed children around a campfire.

Either that, or it was contrived by scheming politicians and charlatan preachers who wanted everyone to believe following anyone else was a sure ticket to hell. Or, at least to the stretching racks and fire pits.

Most likely, all of the above.

Spirituality?

That might be a different story.

Commonsense has usually been enough to keep me out of trouble.

You know; "If it seems like a stupid thing to do, it probably is."

Fancy that.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-04-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Hello Bigerik,

Bill
Kudos for your (no pun intended) good faith study of this matter. You appear to be well along the way of seeing it for just what it is....circle talk and mumbo jumbo. Well done.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Kudos for your (no pun intended) good faith study of this matter. You appear to be well along the way of seeing it for just what it is....circle talk and mumbo jumbo. Well done.
I have a friend who possesses a Masters degree in Divinity. She got that when she was in her twenties. Now, she's a hair away from becoming an Atheist.

"The more you learn, the less sense it makes." She seems to think that the largest part of the religious thought process exists merely to sustain the organization, to leave the believer with no way out, sort of speak. "Leave the church and your life will become empty and meaningless? What's that all about? I'm happier now than I ever was hanging out with those people."

Dave